The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Yes, a pre-existing FPS engine.

And yes, it does appear that they're creating standard FPS engine things from scratch, instead of using the functionality included with CryEngine/Lumberyard.

As to why after 7 years...🤷‍♂️
I wonder if it is too early to start quoting "Bioware magic" as the standard operating practice for CIG too.

Okay.. so I took another look at the roadmap for SQ42. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they using a pre-existing engine? You know, one for FPS games? Then why do they have to make swimming work? And AI using weapons? And Death animations? And melee? Also.. player jump v2.. the.. wut?

EDIT: Also, the most important question. Why now? What exactly were they doing in the last 7 years?
They're not very good at what they do.

It's a Chris Roberts joint after all…

Important question. Why now? What exactly were they doing in the last 7 years?

Its the one question that persists through all the glorious announcements of "progress" and is often swept under the rug but yeah. ..regardless how you like SC in its current form or not that question is still valid and deserves an answer...which is going to be very ugly and everybody knows it. Thats why its either ignored (biased) or outright denied (deluded).

At some point the result does NOT justify the means or the timeframe anymore. What Star Citizen has right now could ve been accomplished faster, better and cheaper with other companies at the helm. Nothing that CI-G does stands out as "special" today. Other games tried what SC tries to do...passed it on the way and went under because the concept is pretty hard to accomplish and CI-G is just getting to the point where other companies gave up. And I m really not sure if "more funding" is the key here as the management seems to be completely cluleless as to where they want SC to go specifically. Keeping the "dream" as vague as possible is modus operandi and a lot of pro-fans focus on stuff thats either horribly broken or not even in sight anymore

Sure its a matter of perspective. Some people will have followed SCs development from day 1 and compare what it looks today with what it looked back then and are "whoa...the progress....amazing" while others focus instead of the actual progress made considering the time frame involved and are less then impressed, Never forget that this "progress" regardless if its a lot or minor has cost triple digit million amounts of dollar and with that fact alone I ll universally judge the product "not worth it" and thats not including the heart ache and all the drama, demafation and toxic treatment handed out to innocent people.

They had to remove the water level to stop their ships splooshing in space. Now they have to put it back in so commandos can sploosh. It's called great planning fidelity.
That.. that actually sounds like a glorious trainwreck. It could be an epic for the ages, sung by digital bards across the usenet.

So the overheat mechanic was largely derided and it appears they have made some adjustments in the latest patch.
In light of this, sycophants are now browbeating anyone that complained by claiming CIG never intended it to be so badly implemented and what people should have done is stay silent because CIG obviously intended to fix it in the future....

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/bc6b4c/_/eko4973 Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/bc6b4c/star_citizen_alpha_350t_ptu1422079_patch_notes/eko4973/

Its the one question that persists through all the glorious announcements of "progress" and is often swept under the rug but yeah. ..regardless how you like SC in its current form or not that question is still valid and deserves an answer...which is going to be very ugly and everybody knows it. Thats why its either ignored (biased) or outright denied (deluded).

At some point the result does NOT justify the means or the timeframe anymore. What Star Citizen has right now could ve been accomplished faster, better and cheaper with other companies at the helm. Nothing that CI-G does stands out as "special" today. Other games tried what SC tries to do...passed it on the way and went under because the concept is pretty hard to accomplish and CI-G is just getting to the point where other companies gave up. And I m really not sure if "more funding" is the key here as the management seems to be completely cluleless as to where they want SC to go specifically. Keeping the "dream" as vague as possible is modus operandi and a lot of pro-fans focus on stuff thats either horribly broken or not even in sight anymore

Sure its a matter of perspective. Some people will have followed SCs development from day 1 and compare what it looks today with what it looked back then and are "whoa...the progress....amazing" while others focus instead of the actual progress made considering the time frame involved and are less then impressed, Never forget that this "progress" regardless if its a lot or minor has cost triple digit million amounts of dollar and with that fact alone I ll universally judge the product "not worth it" and thats not including the heart ache and all the drama, demafation and toxic treatment handed out to innocent people.

I understand where you’re coming from, but, the real question in my mind is: if others could do it faster and cheaper, why haven’t they?

They had 7 years to bury SC, yet it lingers on, making improvements.

This, the conclusion is, it’s all talk, would have, could have, etc. yet, only SC is making strides.

I understand where you’re coming from, but, the real question in my mind is: if others could do it faster and cheaper, why haven’t they?

This, the conclusion is, it’s all talk, would have, could have, etc. yet, only SC is making strides.
Other than walking around in a realistic environment I don’t really see what SC is really adding to the space genre in its current form. Every aspect has been done better in many different games.

So the overheat mechanic was largely derided and it appears they have made some adjustments in the latest patch.
In light of this, sycophants are now browbeating anyone that complained by claiming CIG never intended it to be so badly implemented and what people should have done is stay silent because CIG obviously intended to fix it in the future....

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/bc6b4c/_/eko4973 Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/bc6b4c/star_citizen_alpha_350t_ptu1422079_patch_notes/eko4973/

Even funnier, the narrative is they made is deliberately bad so that people could test it.

Star Citizen: We make it deliberately bad

...only SC is making strides.

It's this kind of bizarre grandiloquence which makes discussing SC with fans such a pain in the bum.

By its own standards, CIG are hardly striding:

u6ul332kqvq21.png

(Hell, to meet their full advertised pitch they're barely inching. But given we've all accepted the cutting of aspects like '100 systems at launch' we can let that slide ;))

Who knows what other firms are up to though. Most probably aren't even attempting anything so ludicrously untrammelled, for the aforementioned 'liable to fail' reasons. Those that are in comparable ballparks ain't sharing what they're doing, so we can't really judge their running form until they hit that finishing line. Declaring CIG ahead of the game against invisible competitors is a fun take tho ;)

Other than walking around in a realistic environment I don’t really see what SC is really adding to the space genre in its current form. Every aspect has been done better in many different games.

Yet, people have given CIG $250M to bring his vision to life thus far. Just illustrates there is a void in the gaming world that he wants to fill.

So like I said, for a 1/4 Billion dollars, no one has stepped up to the plate. The rest is just talk...

Yet, people have given CIG $250M to bring his vision to life thus far. Just illustrates there is a void in the gaming world that he wants to fill.

So like I said, for a 1/4 Billion dollars, no one has stepped up to the plate. The rest is just talk...

Reminds me of after the original Star Wars trilogy - people threw money at George Lucas to get a second trilogy, and we get:

HmjLt2A.png

Lol. He ain't no fillin' voids. Besides his own pockets. And scam artists have long surpassed the 1/4 billion mark. He isn't even the biggest fish. Maddoff was around like 50 billion.

Because none of them got the funding level that SC did...its that simple. Even ED might have space legs already if it was absolutely BOMBARDED by "donations" as Star Citizen had.....only Braben made the correct statement at the time "implementing Space legs for the sake of space legs isnt doing anything for the game" leading to the question "what do space legs actually DO for the gameplay" and truth be told thats a question CI-G hasnt answered yet as the more they focus on space legs the more tedious and boring the gameplay becomes...which is to the liking of a certain group of people for sure but it bypasses the vast majority of potential buyers on the market which demand immersive gameplay, easy accessible with lots of gratification and content.

Star Citizens space legs provide immersion at first but soon become tedious and annoying when you have to traverse the same old space station for the xth time or make it a habit to travel a lot at which point the current warp times kill any excitement. When it comes to actual gameplay aka doing missions Star Citizens flight model is subpar to existing competition titles in the genre and its FPS mechanics are a far cry from the established "norm" currently provided by todays 08/15 shooter games. Simply combining both is not enough to lift it to special status....it has to perform in both to convince.

And when it comes to the average gamer "trying hard" is simply not good enough. You should know best what an ungrateful bunch we can be. We demand highest standards, lowest prices and manage to nag about the tiniest things. Can you imagine what would happen if Star Citizen became widely available right now? Do you understand HOW FAR away Star Citizen is from a commercial successful game when titles like Anthem or Fallout 76 are being ripped apart and proclaimed "failed". Doing "your best" simply doesnt cut it when companies as well as gamers reduce a title to a simple number. And in Star Citizens case its currently a low number regardless how high you specifically would rate it.

Past votes have been either biased (because provided by CI-G) or been "hacked" by pro-SC activists (I dont think having 10 extra accounts is a rumor among the more invested backers) but will eventually fail when it comes to a commercial release. Star Citizens often mentioned "alpha status" is its only protection right now to prevent a collossal backlash because as most pro-SC fans agree.....Star Citizen is "missing" lots of stuff that would make it a complete game able to compete with other games on the market.

NMS provides space legs and has a bigger game world, more visual diversity and is seamless. In what regard is NMS "lesser" then Star Citizen at this very moment? Oh do I need to mention that NMS started development after SC and finished years ago?

The graphics?

Do the graphics REALLY compensate for having subpar, unfun mechanics in place with travel times that border on hours and content that is not nearly dense enough to justify a 5$ fire sale? I disagree but maybe most people put more focus on visuals then actual gameplay I dont know. What is the usual reply to these statements? "everything is going to change"? Do you realize how much that sounds like the chanting of a cult which turns a blind eye to the real things going on which is this.....

Chris Roberts has no motivation to release Star Citizen anytime soon!

His company is based on a dream that its development is nowhere CLOSE to finish. Stretching out development is in his best interest as every month requires monstrous amounts of money which he directly profits from. His invested backers are currently sitting in a "hostage" situation as walking away means giving up on any money already invested which in some cases is far more then any statements of "I m rich" or "disposable income" babble. These people are bound by the money they already dropped into this. Its no wonder that many people "in" this project are very sore and touchy when it comes to criticism of their baby. Defensive reactions as well as lashing out is all well documented when it comes to sunk cost fallacy.

Remember...CR is under no pressure to finish either. His TOS as well as his option to simply walking away proclaiming "we tried our best but we failed....sorry" gives him a golden card that he is currently getting rich from. Oh and his family members as well. Disregarding these things and opting to believe that he is a "good guy who wants to give us the best possible game" is a bit delusional when CI-G has demonstrated often enough that its primarily concerned about money...which is perfectly acceptable according to the die-hard fans which AGAIN goes directly against the "BDSSE".

What does CI-G has to gain from finishing the project? Aye there are a few more million potential buyers out there who could pump more money into CRs coffers. But for that to happen the game NEEDS to be actually good and above existing competition. If that truly was the case meaning iof CI-G would actually believe that themselves they would try to push the game out to release as fast as possible because any lasting development is keeping them from racking in the profit. In that regard Star Citizen ATROCIOUS development progress is saying more then enough already. It often appears to be artificially slowed down because of "something" or by throwing the fans another hypothetical "bone" that explains another delay. That all in addition to the actually "hidden" delays going on all the time. Things getting pushed back weeks and months unsaid because hey....the roadmap is out there in plain sight so WE dont have to say it ourselves.

All the people who excuse and defend CI-Gs every move are actually the ones working actively at the disastrous failure and epic loss of development resources to come. I often think that Star Citizen will never become an actual game but of course theres always the possebility that CI-G will simply cut its losses....release a half-baked 20 score metacritic game and walk away...they wouldnt care...they got their money and at CRs age he doesnt need to concern himself with his reputation anymore. He got rich already.

His primary concern right now will be to hold on to any money he leeched out of this project. As he is already untouchable by the backers.

Does this post REALLY look like a simple "hater" post to you? Or did I actually manage to transport the bad feeling I have from watching Star Citizens development? It worries me to see so many people willingly jumping over the plank being stripped of their money and having their goodwill or weak character abused. When I see shady conmen taking advantage of the poor, the good-willing or the inexperienced I am NOT OKAY with walking by and blaming the people getting exploited as it happens right now "well....you should ve known what you are getting into" or "your own fault for lacking the discipline". Its unfair, its disgusting and it deserves a critical voice. Which is not me by the way but there are enough voices raising against CI-Gs practices. Labeling them all categorically "haters" is the easy way out but doesnt reflect what really happens.

Because none of them got the funding level that SC did...its that simple. Even ED might have space legs already if it was absolutely BOMBARDED by "donations" as Star Citizen had.....only Braben made the correct statement at the time "implementing Space legs for the sake of space legs isnt doing anything for the game" leading to the question "what do space legs actually DO for the gameplay" and truth be told thats a question CI-G hasnt answered yet as the more they focus on space legs the more tedious and boring the gameplay becomes...which is to the liking of a certain group of people for sure but it bypasses the vast majority of potential buyers on the market which demand immersive gameplay, easy accessible with lots of gratification and content.

Star Citizens space legs provide immersion at first but soon become tedious and annoying when you have to traverse the same old space station for the xth time or make it a habit to travel a lot at which point the current warp times kill any excitement. When it comes to actual gameplay aka doing missions Star Citizens flight model is subpar to existing competition titles in the genre and its FPS mechanics are a far cry from the established "norm" currently provided by todays 08/15 shooter games. Simply combining both is not enough to lift it to special status....it has to perform in both to convince.

And when it comes to the average gamer "trying hard" is simply not good enough. You should know best what an ungrateful bunch we can be. We demand highest standards, lowest prices and manage to nag about the tiniest things. Can you imagine what would happen if Star Citizen became widely available right now? Do you understand HOW FAR away Star Citizen is from a commercial successful game when titles like Anthem or Fallout 76 are being ripped apart and proclaimed "failed". Doing "your best" simply doesnt cut it when companies as well as gamers reduce a title to a simple number. And in Star Citizens case its currently a low number regardless how high you specifically would rate it.

Past votes have been either biased (because provided by CI-G) or been "hacked" by pro-SC activists (I dont think having 10 extra accounts is a rumor among the more invested backers) but will eventually fail when it comes to a commercial release. Star Citizens often mentioned "alpha status" is its only protection right now to prevent a collossal backlash because as most pro-SC fans agree.....Star Citizen is "missing" lots of stuff that would make it a complete game able to compete with other games on the market.

NMS provides space legs and has a bigger game world, more visual diversity and is seamless. In what regard is NMS "lesser" then Star Citizen at this very moment? Oh do I need to mention that NMS started development after SC and finished years ago?

The graphics?

Do the graphics REALLY compensate for having subpar, unfun mechanics in place with travel times that border on hours and content that is not nearly dense enough to justify a 5$ fire sale? I disagree but maybe most people put more focus on visuals then actual gameplay I dont know. What is the usual reply to these statements? "everything is going to change"? Do you realize how much that sounds like the chanting of a cult which turns a blind eye to the real things going on which is this.....

Chris Roberts has no motivation to release Star Citizen anytime soon!

His company is based on a dream that its development is nowhere CLOSE to finish. Stretching out development is in his best interest as every month requires monstrous amounts of money which he directly profits from. His invested backers are currently sitting in a "hostage" situation as walking away means giving up on any money already invested which in some cases is far more then any statements of "I m rich" or "disposable income" babble. These people are bound by the money they already dropped into this. Its no wonder that many people "in" this project are very sore and touchy when it comes to criticism of their baby. Defensive reactions as well as lashing out is all well documented when it comes to sunk cost fallacy.

Remember...CR is under no pressure to finish either. His TOS as well as his option to simply walking away proclaiming "we tried our best but we failed....sorry" gives him a golden card that he is currently getting rich from. Oh and his family members as well. Disregarding these things and opting to believe that he is a "good guy who wants to give us the best possible game" is a bit delusional when CI-G has demonstrated often enough that its primarily concerned about money...which is perfectly acceptable according to the die-hard fans which AGAIN goes directly against the "BDSSE".

What does CI-G has to gain from finishing the project? Aye there are a few more million potential buyers out there who could pump more money into CRs coffers. But for that to happen the game NEEDS to be actually good and above existing competition. If that truly was the case meaning iof CI-G would actually believe that themselves they would try to push the game out to release as fast as possible because any lasting development is keeping them from racking in the profit. In that regard Star Citizen ATROCIOUS development progress is saying more then enough already. It often appears to be artificially slowed down because of "something" or by throwing the fans another hypothetical "bone" that explains another delay. That all in addition to the actually "hidden" delays going on all the time. Things getting pushed back weeks and months unsaid because hey....the roadmap is out there in plain sight so WE dont have to say it ourselves.

All the people who excuse and defend CI-Gs every move are actually the ones working actively at the disastrous failure and epic loss of development resources to come. I often think that Star Citizen will never become an actual game but of course theres always the possebility that CI-G will simply cut its losses....release a half-baked 20 score metacritic game and walk away...they wouldnt care...they got their money and at CRs age he doesnt need to concern himself with his reputation anymore. He got rich already.

His primary concern right now will be to hold on to any money he leeched out of this project. As he is already untouchable by the backers.

Does this post REALLY look like a simple "hater" post to you? Or did I actually manage to transport the bad feeling I have from watching Star Citizens development? It worries me to see so many people willingly jumping over the plank being stripped of their money and having their goodwill or weak character abused. When I see shady conmen taking advantage of the poor, the good-willing or the inexperienced I am NOT OKAY with walking by and blaming the people getting exploited as it happens right now "well....you should ve known what you are getting into" or "your own fault for lacking the discipline". Its unfair, its disgusting and it deserves a critical voice. Which is not me by the way but there are enough voices raising against CI-Gs practices. Labeling them all categorically "haters" is the easy way out but doesnt reflect what really happens.
That's quite the meltdown :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom