Terms of Use for Elite Dangerous Footage

There was a general "community use" policy posted on the old forums, but it seems to have got lost in the migration. It had various obvious bits (must be non-commercial, needs to make clear it's not endorsed by FDev or their employees, etc.) but unfortunately I can't quote the entire thing from memory...

It might be available somewhere on their website as well, but I don't have time to look right now.

Arimus

Volunteer Moderator
We used to have to add the following text in the description of any video made:

"This video was created using assets and imagery from Elite: Dangerous, with the permission of Frontier Developments plc, for non-commercial purposes. It is not endorsed by nor reflects the views or opinions of Frontier Developments and no employee of Frontier Developments was involved in the making of it. "

Not sure if it is still valid or accurate. Sadly I couldn't find any updated information on this.

How will it affect the answer I've been given?
Don't worry, at the moment it will not.

But when these bizarre articles kick in (in a couple of years?) we're in for all manner of ill considered nonsense. eg: Any image, video or bit of music used/published will require proof (eg: written consent) it is not enfringing copyright. eg: It's going to really be an issue to places like Youtube and the people who publish on it.

Well, while I'm not a lawyer, I'm choosing to treat the post above as written permission until someone tells me otherwise.
Oh, you're AOK and absolutely set to go at the moment ;)

But in a couple of years, it might be an insanely different place on the internet (thanks to the EU).

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Hi Folks,

As you've seen Paige has answered the question re streaming content etc.

Please however let's not go down the politics route.

This is probably more an "I can't find what I'm looking for, could someone please point me at it?" kind of post.

I'm wondering if someone could outline the restrictions on use of ED game footage in YouTube videos?

Obviously I know there are countless Let's Plays and suchlike out there, but, specifically, I'm wanting to know if a video using such footage has to be exclusively ED-related. That is, am I permitted to use ED footage as a visual background while discussing something other than ED, or maybe not game-related at all?

In answer to the obvious "why", it's basically because I play several games like ED which are, for me, kind of 'way of life' games, but have different settings. And until I've got the courage to put myself on screen, it'd be kind of neat to have ED running as a backdrop if I'm talking about science or sci-fi, X-Plane or one of the Truck Sim games if I'm talking about specific places, and so on.

But obviously I'd not want to violate any copyrights or anything in doing it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

If I were in charge of Frontier and I saw you using a backdrop from my game for a youtube video about sci fi stuff, I would be happy for you and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest!

If you were selling a product and using my stuff for your background video, then that would be very different and I might get annoyed.

But I am not in charge of Frontier so I don't know what goes through their heads.

Last edited:
I've recently seen some really high end stuff using ED footage. It's quite creative and makes me feel inferior so I am not sure how I feel about it actually.

I'll let you into a secret: this is exactly why I'm never going to actually make anything. I have big ideas, pretend that I'm capable of making something worth the time to upload, then put it off until the idea fades away naturally and I don't have to face the realisation that I'm not and never could be.

I've been watching a lot of, I think they call them 'video essays' these days and it kind of got me inspired momentarily. But I just need to ride it out for a day or two and that sense of inspiration will pass, like it always has for writing or playing music, drawing/painting, programming, learning languages and everything else.

Well here's hoping that this one is the tipping point. You have a little go, get drawn in and before you know it you're the Leonardo Da Vinci of our age. Artist, musician, scientist, educator and all round polymath.
Go on, you know you want to :)

Top Bottom