General / Off-Topic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is Burning

Good news !
Just now it was reported on TV that the main structure of the building was saved !

It means that the stone walls and the bell towers wont collapse.

They also said that starting tomorrow a public fund will be collected to rebuild the church.

At least there is that.
Considering the importance of Notre Dame regarding the preservation of historic structures in France, this is especially upsetting.

Perhaps I didn't made myself clear, the fund will be like a charity fund.

You give money if you want to.

Moreover, pretty sure no insurance will have the funds to restore the church all by themselves.The amount of funds needed to rebuild and restore are HUMONGOUS !

Moreover, pretty sure no insurance will have the funds to restore the church all by themselves.The amount of funds needed to rebuild and restore are HUMONGOUS !
Maybe the same contractor will bid for the rebuild job. With a subtle hint, "you know, pay a bit extra, we won't be so careless with fire this time..."

Maybe the same contractor will bid for the rebuild job. With a subtle hint, "you know, pay a bit extra, we won't be so careless with fire this time..."
You're assuming the contractor will still be in business after the investigations and after the insurance companies have had their cut.

So if a mosque burns, will you all turn that into an Islamophobic thread, or is that treatment just reserved for the Catholic Church?

Disclaimer - I'm not a Catholic, but I really don't think this is the thread to bash, mock, and belittle them.

I assure you, that whichever company was responsible, in any way, of today's fire wont go anywhere near the cathedral anytime soon, if at all.

So if a mosque burns, will you all turn that into an Islamophobic thread, or is that treatment just reserved for the Catholic Church?

Disclaimer - I'm not a Catholic, but I really don't think this is the thread to bash, mock, and belittle them.

Wut ?

What are you talking about? No one has badmouthed any religion in particular in this thread! At least as far as I'm aware.

Some people just like to put the boot in when the victim is on the floor.
Are people dead?
A beautiful, historic building burned. A shame, yes.
But the reality is stuff burned, it will get rebuilt, where are the victims?

What are you talking about? No one has badmouthed any religion in particular in this thread! At least as far as I'm aware.
Sure does feel like some are using this opportunity to take potshots at the Church (go back and reread some of these posts). Again, I'm not Catholic (nor am I French), but this is a very tragic event both to a people of faith and a nation. It's not the place to air grievances, IMO.

One of the wealthiest organisations, on the planet: Needs funds, to rebuild; one of its, most profitable assets?
It's not as simple as that.
French historian Claude Gauvard "Notre Dame’s problem is that it comes under several jurisdictions: the Archbishopric, Paris, historic monuments, etc. That complicates its maintenance. I hope that national, indeed international donations will be forthcoming to finance the restoration as it’s going to be very costly. "

Sure does feel like some are using this opportunity to take potshots at the Church (go back and reread some of these posts). Again, I'm not Catholic (nor am I French), but this is a very tragic event both to a people of faith and a nation. It's not the place to air grievances, IMO.

I saw, what can I say.

Some people ignore the meaning of "if you have nothing good to say, better keep quiet"

If you look in Youtube, its ten times worse !

It is so much easier to criticise and condemn a religious community that you know wont fight back, rather that one that you can be certain that it will.

It's not as simple as that.
French historian Claude Gauvard "Notre Dame’s problem is that it comes under several jurisdictions: the Archbishopric, Paris, historic monuments, etc. That complicates its maintenance. I hope that national, indeed international donations will be forthcoming to finance the restoration as it’s going to be very costly. "
Personally: To me; funding is not the issue. It will be rebuilt and they should just get on with it. Plenty of man hours there.

The bottom line, is that the people WILL pay for it, one way or another. Such is life.

Top Bottom