Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

I've played that game a lot, but I don't know and am curious to know too. But it seems like the controllers can be used alone without kb/m. I want to know though if I still can use kb/m and/or controller still if I so want.
I think other control methods will remain, the game has to work with both PlayStation Move controllers and DualShocks on the PS4.

It's been stated that you can either use a control, or you can use move/touch/wands and use them to to "grab" the controls of the ship and fly that way and use your hands to manipulate the inventory and things like that.

Teleport OR smooth, per the articles, locomotion.

I'm quite thankful I missed out on the initial NMS hype because of what happened, and to be honest, I would have been furious if I'd pre-ordered based on those promises. There was a little bit of relief because there were so many Elite detractors who where claiming that ED was dead because of NMS. I do respect Hello Games for not taking the cash and running. I did pick NMS up in a steam sale and I've enjoyed all the planet side exploration, base building and interacting with Aliens (although that is quite basic). It will be interesting to see how they handle VR Space legs because that is such an integral part to the whole NMS Experience

However, NMS is not going to replace ED for me (Even if they do get the VR legs spot on). The deal breaker is the space flight, it still feels so simplistic compared to ED, even though I do have my HOTAS working with NMS now.

To me the setting and the execution of Elite is far superior, the feeling of realism, the lore, etc., so I it is not a replacement for me either. It is just Elite seems badly mismanaged lately with lack of content and future perspective, hence after 8-9 weeks of in-game-time I realized I need a break for good. I do hope NMS VR will deliver as I miss the laidback exploration gameplay.

I agree on that he did overstate the features of what the game would contain at release, however, what his intents were and why he did the "lying" is a matter of reading someone's mind. It's only conjecture to say that his intents was to make money. It's just as likely that he "lied" because those things were under development and he hoped/assumed that they would be finished by the time of release (the "man-month" thinking is deceptive). To say that his intents was such-and-such is only subjective reasoning, and not objective truth... unless he actually have confessed that he lied for the reason of hyping up the game and make money, but I haven't seen or heard anything about that. I'm just curious. Is there objective evidence what his intents were?

Agree. I have a strong feeling (if Hello Games succeed and it's not being hyped up again) that I'll be spending more time in NMS second half of this year than in Elite.

I think you are saying the same, just put into a delicate euphemistic shape. ;)

As about Elite, to be honest, I'm really upset how the whole development path turned out. I'm trying hard to resist venting out, as I always despised the 'I'm quitting' rants, but it is a major disappointment for me after playing for 3+ years almost on a daily basis. At the moment I don't even have any expectations for the late 2020 (?) expansion...

As about Elite, to be honest, I'm really upset how the whole development path turned out. I'm trying hard to resist venting out, as I always despised the 'I'm quitting' rants, but it is a major disappointment for me after playing for 3+ years almost on a daily basis. At the moment I don't even have any expectations for the late 2020 (?) expansion...
True. I don't want to be a rage-quitter either. I love Elite, how it feels, how it flies, everything except for 1000 small irritating bugs and unfinished features. NMS feels more complete, even in its current state, but unfortunately, NMS looks and feels like Duplo compared to Elite as being Techno (LEGO references here :D).

Yeah i know. Is this the forum everyone starts posting in before checking out?

I guess there are only so many times you can have the same conversion over 1.5 years in dd.

The patch notes are as follows:

• OpenGL has been replaced by Vulkan. Many players, particularly players with AMD graphics cards, should see a performance improvement
  • Revised HDR support, updated output curve in line with advances in HDR calibration
  • Adaptive and Triple-Buffered V-Sync are now selectable from Graphics Settings
  • Players with more than one GPU can now select which is used from Graphics Settings
  • Changing the following settings no longer require restarting:
    • Window Mode
    • Resolution
    • V-Sync
    • Shadow Detail
    • Reflection Quality
  • The ‘LOADING SHADERS’ load step has been removed, improving the loading experience.
  • Crash data is gathered via Steam to help us track down and fix issues.

Just read that this morning. Very cool.

Now, my question is, because I don't know much about Vulcan, do you have to download and install it or does it come automatically with Windows?

I thought Vulcan improved framerates for everyone by reducing CPU draw calls?
Yep.. it should. I think they are going to change the graphics engine in Star Citizen to support vulcan at some point. They said they can support 10x the amount of draw calls after vulcan upgrade. This should help improve the lods on planets such as Arccorp.

I think it will look stunning in VR

Agreed. I played a little today and noticed a few areas looked a little polished, or at least had more depth to them. The ground terrain on the planet I am on, and the 'chunks' that fly towards you when using a terrain manipulator to mine gold was another bit I noticed looked different, and I'm keen to see that effect in VR

I was looking at the inside of my ship and thinking how HG have downgraded the interiors. I have the same cockpit now as in this video from 2016, it looked way better back then (first 10secs of the video):

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk4FBTUxRZk

Now I know the new update coming this summer, looks like it is going to have a major overhaul of ship/vehicle interiors, based on the last HG vid. But it was just interesting to see the difference in cockpit interiors from the launch till now.

____

Video from today inside my ship.. Looks a little like the interior of a Lada I had back in the late 70's. ;)
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=951hUfeJsTQ

Last edited:
I've done the BETA. I think it looks nicer, performance is a little better. Hard to see anything to dislike, really.
Cool. Because I like to play NMS on my laptop and it's been a little lacking in performance in the past and have to run on lower settings. It'll be interesting to see the change.

It's hardly night-and-day but it's a handy extra few FPS. It should have the greatest benefit to AMD* cards, but NVidia and Intel should also get an improvement.

*Vulkan is based on AMD's Mantel API. So this is slightly friendlier to AMD GPUs. Slightly.

Top Bottom