Forсing players to visit colonia engineers it is oppression

I know it feels a bit dreadful (I felt the same way), but actually, once you have a semi-decent jump range, the trip can be a fun one. Explore along the way, test out the neutron highway - even a short trip outside the bubble by a few 1000 LYs will give you a few first time discoveries if you spend some time out there and scan things. Visit the stations along the way might be a good idea as well, and I know there are a few quests you can pick up to courier data to Colonia for a bit of cash. There are some interesting things to see out there (nebula, new lifeforms, interesting star formations) if you do a little research before you go.

Last edited:
Only if you try to min max it, don't think like Khan get out from the straightest line and bag a load of first discoveries on the way. I just spent 3-4 hours over the last few days exploring one new system.

Min-maxers don't enjoy anything.

Absolutely, thats how I do it too. But that is not a minor addendum: Colonia is inly four hours away, unless you want any kind of fun.. Colonia is to most of us very far. I like that, but lets not pretend colonia is just around the corner. :p

Only if you try to min max it, don't think like Khan get out from the straightest line and bag a load of first discoveries on the way. I just spent 3-4 hours over the last few days exploring one new system.

As usual, this.

Travelling, in ED, is only an endless repetition of button-presses if YOU decide that's what it should be.

I started heading back from Colonia last Friday.
Course, since I was "only" 11KLy from SagA, I thought I'd pay it a visit on the way.
Checked out Explorer's Anchorage and the prison ship while I was in the neighbourhood.

Also, on that note, what's up with those L-Type anomalies?
Frisky little fellas, aren't they?
I thought I'd try and scoop one but it didn't like it and then started bouncing around my Annie.
2vifktu.jpg

2z7fwwo.jpg

25flr9d.jpg

2rpxj52.jpg

But I digress.

After that, I started back to the bubble but decided to visit all the nebulae on the way.

I tend to plot routes of around 1000Ly at a time, honk-jump some of the way, FSS-scan any system with an M-Class star or with a lot of planets, browse the Galmap and change course to visit anything that looks interesting.

Travelling, in ED, is as interesting, or dull, as you choose to make it.

Press one button 200 times in a row without using any part of brain or body is not a challenge.

Then do not do it, simple as that. Or give it some time, maybe some other incentive to go there will appear.
In my case the incentive was the CG near Sag A*.

However, pressing a button 200 times WITHOUT using any part of brain or body... well it is quite an achievement

I'm still flying shirtless shieldless, laughing at all you G5 SCB OCDers 🤣

Okay, sometimes I use shields, but SCBs are of the devil.

I'm still flying shirtless shieldless, laughing at all you G5 SCB OCDers 🤣

Okay, sometimes I use shields, but SCBs are of the devil.
Tangent...

I have an SCB on my anti-tharg ship, but it's been a long time since I flew it last. Was actually trying to use heatsinks, but in trying to find the key,
  • Accidentally dumped a bunch of SCB uses
  • Turned on Silent running without noticing
  • Kept fighting the thargoid and hadn't dumped heatsinks

Kept wondering if the Thargs had some new capability sending your heat over 300%

Blueprints available in Colonia and not in the Bubble weren't put in to "humiliate" anyone. There is a reason they are there.

The four Colonia Engineers were given all blueprints between them, but at level 1. They were also given the ability to improve. And Colonia residents then put in a LOT of effort, gathering mats and engineering the same modules over and over again, to level them up.

In a few weeks, one of my alts will be ready to migrate to Colonia. She'll be arriving in a partially-engineered Clipper and transferring a partially-engineered Courier. She'll have ranked-up with the four precursors of the Colonia Engineers, but then discarded all pinned blueprints ready for a fresh start. She will be unable to unlock Petra Olmanova for some time (needs Expert combat rank), and the others still suck in many areas. But that's my choice, and I won't be claiming to be "oppressed".

There's an engineer - I forget her name - that demands I befriend some anarchist scum before she'll talk to me. I'm doing my best to never befriend anarchist scum and so far I'm doing pretty well at that goal, so I'm likely never going to get access to that engineer, or any of her friends.

Do I go onto the forum and rant and rave about the unfairness, about ED "forcing me to befriend anarchists" or being "oppressed"? No. It's my choice to play as an anti-anarchist, and I must live with the consequences of that choice. So I simply accept that I will never, ever get those particular engineering upgrades, and I carry on playing the game without them.

Anarchist scum are fine, they're doing their best, trying to make a better galaxy in their own way.

The chain smoking engineer on the other hand... YOU DO NOT NEED THAT MANY CIGARS. STOP TELLING US TO GO AND GET YOU MORE CIGARS. YOU'RE GOING TO DIE OF SOME HORRIBLE RESPIRATORY ILLNESS SOON ANYWAY.

Flying to Colonia is far less annoying.

There will still be 4 good engineers within a couple of jumps though - won't there?

There are engineers I haven't unlocked, don't need the junk they are working on. I will be out near Colonia soon, but it may be a month or two before I actually get around to docking anywhere though, I don't get the "jumping is boring" thing, but everyone to their own I guess!

Thank you for your answers. Now i understand griffers who attacked DW2. In Elite players separated on two parts: first class citizens who love to fly and watch same cirsles, and players who prefer other activities.

Thank you for your answers. Now i understand griffers who attacked DW2. In Elite players separated on two parts: first class citizens who love to fly and watch same cirsles, and players who prefer other activities.
Again, you are just after convenience. If you want the smiles, put in the miles.

Top Bottom