A question: Are you a lone flyer or do you move with friends?

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date

Deleted member 110222

D
I've been doing a lot of soul-searching in ED lately, as to what kind of pilot I am.

For the longest time I thought I would be a social CMDR. You might think that would be the case with the amount I've posted in this community.

But no. I just can't play this delightful game unless I'm on my own. It's reached a peak. I deleted my entire friends list just now in the game, and as such, nobody can see where I am unless they share an instance with me.

And I'm much happier for it.

I've even gone so far as to clear all my wing/MC related bindings: I've never used them, and at this point it's clear I never will.

But I would ask of you, CMDRs, are you, like me, a person who prefers to control his own destiny, or would you seek out allies and forge an empire?

I am a very goal-oriented person, in that I set myself a whole slew of longer term goals in games that give me the ability to do so.

Sadly, that means I am mostly content to fly alone, Other people tend to just slow down goal progress from what I've experienced in most online games. Even when a game is set up such that doing things in groups SHOULD make progress faster....people just screw around alot; the more people you're doing things with, the harder it seems it is to maintain forward momentum. Like herding cats.

I do like getting together and doing stuff with other folks once in a while though, you know...to be sociable. Just can't do it too regularly or I get fixated on lack of goal progression and start to get bitter toward the people hampering it.

My goals in this game at the moment (I'm still very new) is a HUGE list. A few of the things on it include some ridiculously long explorations (set bookmarks for a Colonia expediation, as well as another one out to a nebula that's 5,000 Kly away in the other direction)....I imagine exploration is generally a solo experience in ED.

I can see wanting to experience more group play in the game, eventually....but still alot of things to knock off the todo list that aren't really suited for groups. Aforementioned exploration and unlocking the rest of the engineers being the two big ones.

Last edited:
I'm on Moebius, so I'm pretty much all alone most of the time. Maybe that will change with the new initiatives.
I second this.
I’d love to see more people, maybe I’ll look up a squad just for folks to talk to and fly with if our goals happen to align; but I’m going to remain focused on whatever I am on at the time so that’s never lead me to have lots of people around me.

Lone wolf.

Main reason being I have zero interest in integrating Discord or some other such thing into my game play, and these days in online gaming it seems the first step to doing anything with others is Discord.

There have been some occasions in ED where I've met someone and joined up to accomplish something in game, and that was nice, but I don't need it or look for it.

Deleted member 110222

D
I should point out that I do fly exclusively in Open. But all my jobs are one-man.

Both. Decidedly. There is strength in numbers and sharing a common cause does wonders for motivation and sense of purpose. I'm a Fleet Commander in a player group so naturally I spend a lot of time sharing and teaching and learning in my free time on discord, and then we occasionally coordinate in-game operations or events with anywhere from 3-15 of us together messing around with something, or band together when there's an important BGS war to win. But more often than not I'm just hopping around our sector doing my own thing off my list of to-dos, and running into people when it rarely happens organically, or taking weekend trips to do engineer loops for a new ship, or taking a month long "vacation" on some solo expedition. I value my alone time as much as I value all of the great moments I've had with my various wing-mates over the years.

Well I just started about 2 weeks ago, had one offer to show me a couple of things so I sent an invite(Accepted) but haven't seen them online. I am however trying to get my brother to join- we both played OGame together and had a good time and it helps us keep in touch seeing that we live in different States.

A question: Are you a lone flyer or do you move with friends?
I'm a lone flyer because I have no friends. That is, friends who play Elite. I'm not a big fan of Discord, INARA, and other social media tools used to build these connections out-of-game, so I probably never will. I'm lucky to randomly encounter strangers in this game, let alone friends, so I'm a lone pilot desperately wanting an NPC crew, because NPCs make the best friends!

Solo act that often craves social exposure, but its typically very difficult because of my terrible personal hygiene.
My current Squad mates make excuses to avoid me, apparently i have a kind of peaty, earthy aroma.

I am a very goal-oriented person, in that I set myself a whole slew of longer term goals in games that give me the ability to do so.

Sadly, that means I am mostly content to fly alone, Other people tend to just slow down goal progress from what I've experienced in most online games. Even when a game is set up such that doing things in groups SHOULD make progress faster....people just screw around alot; the more people you're doing things with, the harder it seems it is to maintain forward momentum. Like herding cats.

What he said, basically all of it

Main reason being I have zero interest in integrating Discord or some other such thing into my game play, and these days in online gaming it seems the first step to doing anything with others is Discord.

Exactly. I don't want to mess with outside communication programs. In other MMOs I met players and made friends through in game communication channels. Despite the addition of squadrons, E: D seems designed to keep us isolated. I've gotten to know some players through an Elite Facebook group but that hasn't carried over into the game. The one thing I truly miss from my wasted years of playing Eve Online is the multitude of in game communication channels.

DDastardly00

D
Both really, but lately it's been almost all with friends. Elite in my opinion is a better game when played socially, but it's fine on it's own too.

Generally, I'm a lone flyer.
But I'm almost always in open because I like the random encounters.
I don't wing up much, but it happens every now and then.
Being in open though, it is quite important to actually know the people on your friendlist. Or at least, know why you put em there. So I mostly do.

So I like to fly alone most of the time, but I enjoy meeting people.
Especially since the galaxy doesn't really feel that alive. But I guess that just comes with Elite's greatest asset: a Galaxy in true scale. Rough with the smooth and all that.

I like being social but ED itself doesn't lend itself to that for the most part, I'm also very comfortable being alone in ED so I'm happy either way.

I deffo don't like being told what to do which is one reason why I avoid big groups in any game I play online etc

I'm not a solo player, but I fly alone... Because. Don't know, may be I just get to use - never wanted to join the squadron, though sometimes opening the can watching the few kilo l.s. countdown to my destination, I feel ok to type a few words to somebody. But there's nobody in the void, only the "Lave Radio, transmitting to every corner of the galaxy"

Last edited:
Top Bottom