Powerplay If FD decided it could take the time to implement Open Only for Powerplay, do you think it should go to a public vote?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'd say that FD can't avoid deciding. They must either go Open-only or not - there's no halfway house. If they choose to put it to a vote that's up to them and I'll participate, but I see no reason why they would. (50% chance that the vote would go against what they wanted to do).

"No OO" is clearly their decision so far, but I guess they can revisit the question any time they wish.

They should just go ahead and make it open only. Unless they're leaning towards not doing that, in which case we should vote.

Jason, i love you man, but did you really think that through?

Basically you said they should do it without a vote if they are thinking of doing it, but if they are not thinking of doing it they should put it to the vote.

That's kind of one sided isn't it?

One could argue there was already a vote for PPOO and it was overwhelmingly in it's favor.
But while in real life I'm a strict proponent of democracy, in game (and in game development) I frankly don't care.
And I don't believe I have a saying in the development direction just because I spent some Euros on a game which gave me 2700 hours of entertainment.

FDev would be insane to put this to a player vote, they would be opening the door to a new dynamic where the playerbase demands change. There's a reason why there is a suggestions section on here, not a demands section.

That being said, Powerplay in open only just makes good sense. It solves numerous problems:

Open only Powerplay provides a legitimate PvP option as an alternative to pointless ganking.

Open only Powerplay eliminates solo PP exploits which cannot be countered.

Open only Powerplay will make Open feel more alive, even for players who opt out of Powerplay themselves, since the PvP Powerplay elements will unfold around them.

I don't understand why they don't just disconnect it from the main game and make it its own mode.

Open
Arena / CQC
Power Play
Private
Solo

Have Power Play Mode override any block/friend list weighting for the MM and anyone who gets weird "connection problems" can just be blocked from joining the PPM.
This way, those who want PP are sure to be playing with others who want PP and know no one is "hiding" in any mode. Then everyone else can carry on playing ED as normal with the bonus of people in PP not getting in the way.

Also, this would mean fewer instances for those doing PP (as all PP'ers would be matched with only other PP'ers), meaning it would be easier to try and blockade a system from incoming pamphlet runners and credit dumps etc, rather than be in one full of none aligned miners, explorers and traders who are of no value to PP.

So I vote for PPM.
This is the most complicated solution and the hardest for FDev to implement. Solo and Open already exist, and they center around whether a player wants to play with others or not. Powerplay was meant to get players to engage with each other; it belongs in open. Adding a new game mode has the MAJOR downside of dividing those players who want to play with others into smaller groups, diluting both Open AND the new Powerplay mode, making them both feel more empty and lifeless numbers-wise, which is already a big concern for many.

And I vote for OPOP as the acronym. Open Play Only Powerplay.

Seriously, POOP? PeePeePoo?

This is the most complicated solution and the hardest for FDev to implement. Solo and Open already exist, and they center around whether a player wants to play with others or not. Powerplay was meant to get players to engage with each other; it belongs in open. Adding a new game mode has the MAJOR downside of dividing those players who want to play with others into smaller groups, diluting both Open AND the new Powerplay mode, making them both feel more empty and lifeless numbers-wise, which is already a big concern for many.

And I vote for OPOP as the acronym. Open Play Only Powerplay.

Seriously, POOP? PeePeePoo?

Well, if we are worrying about what is the easiest and hardest, then the easist is for FD to do nothing :p

Why should those of us happy to PG or Solo play the game, rather than constantly avoid Gankers, be forced out of Powerplay?

Just sayin'...….

According to those who want open only, you should either git gud or quit. They don't care about those who don't play in open. They assume everyone who plays in PG/solo is a cheater anyway, doing 5C, using bots, etc.

Because by it's very definition Powerplay is power (player) versus power (player) ?

Well, that has to be one of the biggest stretches of a definition i've seen in a long time. Powerplay is about the play between powers. Nowhere does it say that it has to involve direct PvP, and indirect PvP is a thing as well.

According to those who want open only, you should either git gud or quit. They don't care about those who don't play in open. They assume everyone who plays in PG/solo is a cheater anyway, doing 5C, using bots, etc.

Well, that has to be one of the biggest stretches of a definition i've seen in a long time. Powerplay is about the play between powers. Nowhere does it say that it has to involve direct PvP, and indirect PvP is a thing as well.
Did you ever see the powers play their game by themselves? No? Because they don't, it's all player related.
So the stretch isn't too big....

I know, and that's why I'd love to see some open only PvP content. Switch all PP modules to techbrokers and have a go at it :)
Oh, and space is big, open only powerplay won't be the end of the world...

I agree, but i also disagree with the desire to remove a feature from a decent percentage of the playerbase, regardless of percieved benefits.

Do you want me to repeat about 20 pages of rebuttals to this?

Goose4291

Banned

peterson-newman-geneder-sex.jpg

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom