General / Off-Topic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is Burning

Sorry, I just popped into this thread out of curiosity, and now I can only wonder...

Ye gods, why are we hunting the poor Notre Dame?! :ROFLMAO:
Yes the subject is "Notre Dame" and not Amazon who is not a model of exemplarity concerning the treatment of its employees, and which represents nothing in terms of the history of the humanity and the human values, and for whom no one will remember when it will disappears, just as its creator.

Last edited:
So they're expecting Europeans to contribute tax money to rebuild a folly they'll never visit. Whilst disrespecting European culture and the concept of spending tax money to help other people?

Yes the subject is "Notre Dame" and not Amazon who is not a model of exemplarity concerning the treatment of its employees, and which represents nothing in terms of the history of the humanity and the human values, and for whom no one will remember when it will disappears, just as its creator.
Yes, let’s us get back to the topic, The Burning of ND in Paris, or I’m afraid the tread will be closed.
But it’s a very interesting discussion, we are having here nevertheless.

So they're expecting Europeans to contribute tax money to rebuild a folly they'll never visit. Whilst disrespecting European culture and the concept of spending tax money to help other people?

First, Notre Dame of Paris is the most visited monument, not just in France, but of EUROPE. Yes even more than the Eiffel tower.

Second, since the Cathedral is owned by the state, we would be paying for its restoration one way or another from our taxes ANYWAY!

Third, no one expects nothing. If anything, the billion euros collected for its restoration in such a short amount of time came as a surprise to everybody.

I've just learned that last Sunday, during the Easter ceremony held at the St Eustache church in Paris, the firefighters where given by the Archbishop of Paris, Mgr Michel Aupetit, an original 17th Century Lectionary. Saved from the flames of the Notre Dame fire.

That Book alone is worth quite the penny!

In France there are many astonishing buildings, not only churches and cathedrals, but also casthels and monasteries. I’ve seen a small fraction of it, and they always impress me. Unfortunately during history, some of the old buildings was destroyed by the changing powers, and to me this is a shame, these building are lost forever and with them a part of our history.

Speaking for myself, the issue has been the sentiment in this thread that there is something wrong with wealthy individuals donating large sums of their own money to the restoration project. I've made that very clear.

No that is true, however demolishing the buildings is not the solution, our boxed constructions today are boring and will not last a 100 years, that actually will tell you something about the quality of these buildings.
Certainly the post war stuff is a bit ****.
My objections are;
1) Mature Oak forest shouldn't be felled for the roof. (environmentalism)
2) Tax funds shouldn't be used to pay for it. (separation of church & state)

Worryingly it looks like Groupama has other ideas...
They're offering 1300 100 year old oak trees from Normandy.
Hopefully it would be viewed as illegal under the EU Common Forestry Policy, and enforced with same rigour as the logging of Białowieża forest in Poland.

Last edited:
Worryingly it looks like Groupama has other ideas...
They're offering 1300 100 year old oak trees from Normandy.
Hopefully it would be viewed as illegal under the EU Common Forestry Policy, and enforced with same rigour as the logging of Białowieża forest in Poland.

Is your problem with that the trees being cut down for any purpose at all, or specifically for the use of the notre Dame restoration project?

Which didn't really answer my question.

Let me put it another way: would it be alright to harvest these trees if the purpose was to build a serious of taxpayer funded apartments for all the homeless people in Paris?

The purpose of the CFP is to promote sustainability.
You cannot save one part of France's heritage by destroying another.
Fortunately all but one of the possible architects I've seen speaking about it favour metal roofing.

Last edited:
Alright, "I don't care about churches or homeless people" are at least consistent positions, so I can respect that, Felix. Have some rep

Top Bottom