General / Off-Topic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is Burning

First, Notre Dame of Paris is the most visited monument, not just in France, but of EUROPE. Yes even more than the Eiffel tower.

Indeed, 2 times more.

The forest shouldn't be logged at an unsustainable rate, 1300 trees in one go from a single region is appalling.
Specifically the Eure Valley Normandy.
There are other proposals, as the Syndicat filière bois (SFB) , which brings together the forestry operators.

Also an idea has arisen: that each forest owner in France gives an oak for the reconstruction, on the initiative of the Fransylva foundation, which brings together the 3.5 million private owners of forests in France.

"French forests, public and private, are mobilized "for this jewel of medieval architecture, summarized to AFP Michel Druilhe, president of the France Wood Forest Interprofession.

Some "1.5 million cubic meters of oak are sawn each year in France," he added. What to cover several cathedrals. "If France can offer French oaks, it is thanks to the availability in the forests of Orléans, Allier, Bourgogne, Grand-Est, Normandie or Ile-de-France as Montmorency and Compiègne",he said. That is a total of several million hectares of oaks, on the 17 million hectares of forests that France has.

"The raw material is the same as a thousand years ago.The quality of the oaks used under Saint Louis is the same as today", he said.

Notre Dame requires between 3000 and 5000 cubic meters of oak compared to the 1,5 million cubic meters produced by the France each year.

:D

Even if we take into consideration that it will be necessary to use the top quality of oak and planted at least in the 19th century, I think they will find the stock without much difficulty.

France also exports 500,000 cubic meters of standard quality oak to the China each year.

:)
Thanks for the detailed analysis of the numbers. I appreciate that.

Which didn't really answer my question.

Let me put it another way: would it be alright to harvest these trees if the purpose was to build a serious of taxpayer funded apartments for all the homeless people in Paris?
That would be ecomoncically stupid and a total waste of good timber. Shipping containers, could be used as a cheaper and more environmentally friendly option. Cutting down a 1,000 plus 200 to 300 year old Oaks; just because that was what they used, the last time they rebuild that roof. Is just mindless folly.

Thanks for the detailed analysis of the numbers. I appreciate that.
I have the feeling that you will think about investing in the wood industry.

:LOL:

That would be ecomoncically stupid and a total waste of good timber. Shipping containers, could be used as a cheaper and more environmentally friendly option. Cutting down a 1,000 plus 200 to 300 year old Oaks; just because that was what they used, the last time they rebuild that roof. Is just mindless folly.
They speak of oaks planted in the 19th century for the maturity and the diameter of the tree.

In the case of Notre Dame, only one beam is made with an oak.

A friend of mine made a great investment about 20 years ago.
He bought a large undeveloped, agriculture zoned plot on Hawai'i island, and planted koa tree saplings.

Now that they are nearing maturity, he's planing on retiring.

He has a great business sense this man.

And you also have a good nose to have friends like him.

He chose well!

It makes exquisite furniture, and the gold hues are pretty unique.

rolltop_1024x1024@2x.jpg

$16,000
High quality here.

Without a doubt.

I have the feeling that you will think about investing in the wood industry.

A friend of mine made a great investment about 20 years ago.
He bought a large undeveloped, agriculture zoned plot on Hawai'i island, and planted koa tree saplings.

Now that they are nearing maturity, he's planing on retiring.

Which project are you saying it would economically foolish to use it on? The homeless shelter I hypothesized or the cathedral?

As Patrick pointed out (I assume his math is accurate) France produces 1.5 MILLION hectares of the lumber, a sum much greater than needed, and presumably this lumber is used for some projects. Which projects are worthy, in your opinion?

Which project are you saying it would economically foolish to use it on? The homeless shelter I hypothesized or the cathedral?

As Patrick pointed out (I assume his math is accurate) France produces 1.5 MILLION hectares of the lumber, a sum much greater than needed, and presumably this lumber is used for some projects. Which projects are worthy, in your opinion?
Both.

There is always a cheaper and better alternative, than just cutting down trees. So, in my opinion, no project, is worth it.

Using trees just because they have been, or are going to be, cut down. Is like a heroin producer; stating he only makes it, because the demand, is there.

Both.

There is always a cheaper and better alternative, than just cutting down trees. So, in my opinion, no project, is worth it.

Using trees just because they have been, or are going to be, cut down. Is like a heroin producer; stating he only makes it, because the demand, is there.

You sound a bit hyperbolic.

Just, a bit...

Forestry management by timber companies can be a very good thing.

You sound a bit hyperbolic.

Just, a bit...

Forestry management by timber companies can be a very good thing.
I understand that 'management' is a positive thing. But the true is, that management is not what is going on across the planet, as far as most tree felling is concerned.

Yes I do have a thing about trees, in general. Since the age of 10, I have been growing them form seed and planting them, all over the place. It is a beautiful thing to be able to go somewhere and look up and say 'I planted that'.

I wouldn't want my house to be made of wood, not because it's ugly or anything, but I don't want to pay house insurance in case it burns up.

I understand that 'management' is a positive thing. But the true is, that management is not what is going on across the planet, as far as most tree felling is concerned.

Yes I do have a thing about trees, in general. Since the age of 10, I have been growing them form seed and planting them, all over the place. It is a beautiful thing to be able to go somewhere and look up and say 'I planted that'.

What is your house built from?

That's fair except this seems to be a very reasonable use for such timber, and it's literally a drop in the bucket of their normal exports.

Top Bottom