NO2O! The Definitive List of 1.7/2.2-Compatible HUD Colour/Color Configs (please add yours!)

Frontier just needs to recode the UI so we don't have to make INI edits in order to bypass the default ugly orange colored HUD.

INI edits even recolor portraits and everything else... no more excuses to why it "can't" be done. How about some solutions to how it CAN be done?

Oh but "X" is more important to focus on!!! Nope. Everyone sees the UI as bright orange in the game by default- it's THE most important thing at this point over 5+ years later.

Default UI -> Best UI. It seems FD agree with me ;)

You have to remember braben started programming on 8 bit computers, where colour palettes were very limited and put different colours near each other and they would interfere, he is unable to wrap his head around modern computer abilities... cant teach old dogs new tricks etc.....

Also EDProfiler has a lot of tools to help you get the colours you want, plus has avatars. Good way to play around.

You have to remember braben started programming on 8 bit computers, where colour palettes were very limited and put different colours near each other and they would interfere, he is unable to wrap his head around modern computer abilities... cant teach old dogs new tricks etc.....

If this is truly the case Mr. Braben might want to look at a Calendar. It's 2018.

More colors exist "Beyond" 8-bit orange. I'm not convinced.

Better Green HUD

I didn't like any of the green HUDs made by others here so I made my own which has red markers for enemies, blue for friendlies and green for neutral.
It also doesn't mess up the NPC portraits.

<MatrixRed>0.1, 0, -2</MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen>-1.5, 1, 1.75</MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue>2, 0.35, 0.3</MatrixBlue>

https://imgur.com/a/KuLkqNg

I know I've been inactive here for a while, and I'm glad you like this theme, but it is exactly the same one I created for showcasing the HUD editor. It's even shown in the example screenshot of my post from 2014

Now, I did make the theme and the editor to share, but please don't claim that you made something you didn't.
This is a bit of a late reply, I don't use the forum much. I am not one to take credit for someone elses work, and appreciate the time and effort you must have put into creating the HUD configurator. However, I think this may be a huge coincidence, whilst I have used your configurator previously, this is one of the HUDs I found whilst experimenting with the XML file and using your configurator as a base. The tool itself does not load up the HUD in question and is only visible on the forum post you linked, which is archived. The only time I found your tool was through links posted on reddit or through YouTube.
I only wanted to share something I too created and never intended to take credit from anyone or for anyone elses work.
With that said, I agree you should be the one named on the forum post since you have the configurator tool you created showcasing that very same HUD. :)

Last edited:

Maybe old dog shouldn't make new game... if he can't handle it.

They should separate the different menus to have each its own colour code. Also separating the portraits from the colours. I like to use a blue HUD sometimes, but would like to keep the station menu orange.

The SRV turret colour is also not affected, should be its own colour code, too.

Krait MKII With the "red and teal" Interior
<MatrixRed> 0, 0.4, 0.35 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0.3, 0, 0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 1, 0, 0 </MatrixBlue>

im having some trouble changing my HUD colors. I followed the instructions in this video:
Source: https://youtu.be/rgvHCyOhl78
and im still stuck with orange. this is what my config says exactly:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<GraphicsConfig>
<GUIColour>
<Default>
<LocalisationName>Standard</LocalisationName>
<MatrixRed> 1, 0, 0.07 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0, 1, 1 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> -0.16, 0, 1 </MatrixBlue>
</Default>
</GUIColour>
</GraphicsConfig>?

could someone please help me figure this out?

New home screen is OK I guess ... although, from looking at this and a few other screens such as options, etc, it looks like having altered HUD colours is now seriously messing with the colours of these other screens ... shame, I may have to revert to a default colour scheme. :(

UJqgT4B.png

im having some trouble changing my HUD colors. I followed the instructions in this video:
Source: https://youtu.be/rgvHCyOhl78
and im still stuck with orange. this is what my config says exactly:

<GraphicsConfig>
<GUIColour>
<Default>
</Default>
</GUIColour>
</GraphicsConfig>?

could someone please help me figure this out?

I copied and pasted your config into an XML validator (https://codebeautify.org/xmlvalidator) and it reported an error on the last line.

Sure enough, it looks like you've accidentally added a '?' character to the end of the last line. It should be:

XML:
<GraphicsConfig>
    <GUIColour>
        <Default>
        </Default>
    </GUIColour>
</GraphicsConfig>

New home screen is OK I guess ... although, from looking at this and a few other screens such as options, etc, it looks like having altered HUD colours is now seriously messing with the colours of these other screens ... shame, I may have to revert to a default colour scheme. :(

UJqgT4B.png
Oof! 😬

I really hope FDev improve the UI colour matrix in the 2020 update.

I copied and pasted your config into an XML validator (https://codebeautify.org/xmlvalidator) and it reported an error on the last line.

Sure enough, it looks like you've accidentally added a '?' character to the end of the last line. It should be:

XML:
<GraphicsConfig>
    <GUIColour>
        <Default>
        </Default>
    </GUIColour>
</GraphicsConfig>