Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Expedition

Depending on my successful return to the bubble after DW2, I'd definitely be up for this. Will sign up as I see thing clearer time-wise during my return.

Signed up on EDSM, already a member of Fleetcomm, any other places I should sign up? I'm also interested in seeing if we can get more Hull Seals to be on the trip so we can support it locally instead of just hoping folks are nearby. I know it's a short trip with a relatively close to the Bubble route, but it would be nice to have folks who can repair you out in the black than having to go home and come back.

With the 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11s epic landing on the Moon, coming up later this year. It seems like an opportune time to have an in game commemoration of this, most profound of space events. So to this end, the Mercury 7 Explorers present to you: The Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Expedition!
A fairly short voyage in time, but one of great meaning for all fans of space exploration. An event to mark that first, giant leap into the unknown.
17 Apollo missions.
36 Astronaut seats.
Not a single Female Astronaut.

Still can't believe they excluded Women, from this Greatest Achievement in Mans history.

I sincerely hope 2024 ( well 2028, most likely ) Moon landing will have no one but Female Astronauts, just to make things fair.

Last edited:
17 Apollo missions.
51 Astronaut seats.
Not a single Female Astronaut.

Still can't believe they excluded Women, from this Greatest Achievement in Mans history.

I sincerely hope 2024 ( well 2028, most likely ) Moon landing will have no one but Female Astronauts, just to make things fair.

Just to be pedantic for a moment (sorry, not sorry) :) ... There weren't 17 missions, since they skipped the numbers 2-6. Plus, several of the astronauts flew more than once. The entire pool of astronauts who flew Apollo missions (including those that did not land) was 24 guys.

This mostly happened because of their recruiting test pilots and fighter jet pilots. The policy changed soon after, and quite a few women flew on the Space Shuttle. So I have no doubt that women will be included in future landings. Its a pretty safe bet, I think. ;)

Just to be pedantic for a moment (sorry, not sorry) :) ... There weren't 17 missions, since they skipped the numbers 2-6. Plus, several of the astronauts flew more than once. The entire pool of astronauts who flew Apollo missions (including those that did not land) was 24 guys.

This mostly happened because of their recruiting test pilots and fighter jet pilots. The policy changed soon after, and quite a few women flew on the Space Shuttle. So I have no doubt that women will be included in future landings. Its a pretty safe bet, I think. ;)
I said Astronaut Seats not astronauts.
Mercury 13 - look it up, there were Women ready to go, just nobody wanted them.

And when asked:
"The Russians have put up a woman cosmonaut. Is there any room in our space program for a woman astronaut, in your opinion? "
" Well, we could have used a woman on the second orbital Mercury Atlas that we had," Cooper answered. "We could have put a woman up, the same type of woman, and flown her instead of the chimpanzee." Cooper and the reporters then laughed.

And it wasn't "soon after" it was two decades after Russians did it.

Fair enough, but I just don't think it's necessary to get all bent out of shape over historical details, when they've long since been addressed. Mostly. Well, except for the Library at Alexandria. We should all feel devastated over that one forever. ;) :D

This expedition is here to honor what was achieved, so let's not derail it, though I agree with the value of encouraging women to be a large part of the space program. And I love the fact that despite the double standards of the time, there are some great examples of women making significant contributions to the space program in the '60s, such as Margaret Hamilton and Katherine Johnson. They did some amazing things despite the cultural limitations of that era.

So just know I'm not trying to start an argument here. ;)

Signed up for Expedition
Signed up for FleetCom
Added the Channel to my Discord

Normally a loaner, just like taking screens with my 5040x1050, this will be my first expedition/multiplayer in the black

Multiple ship modules engineered and on standbye, do you need a mechanic build, etc or just whatever? (AKA I can volunteer to be one for group if slot needs filled)
My default build unless told otherwise:

Last edited:
Count me in! Already signed up on EDSM. This'll be my first expedition as well.
I suppose I'll have to wait until DW2 is over before I attempt to apply to the FleetComm PG?

It is a real pity that this is PC only as the FleetComm sign up is limited to pc gamers only. I was thinking of making it back from DW2 for this, but unless it it opened up to console users (i’m on Xbox) I cant see much point...sigh!

It is a real pity that this is PC only as the FleetComm sign up is limited to pc gamers only. I was thinking of making it back from DW2 for this, but unless it it opened up to console users (i’m on Xbox) I cant see much point...sigh!
Nobody said anything about the expedition only being open to PC players. Afaik the staff currently still lacks supervisors for console players, so if you want to take charge of that, talk to Yanick directly :)

There have already been a few XBox and Playstation players who've signed up. As Dr Nagi has said, there can be console based meet ups. We just need to have one player from each console volunteer to be the instance leader for their respective machines.

Ah - shows my lack of a recce - I didn't know the moon wasn't landable :eek:
Still in for the commemoration though
The Moon is "protected" by the Federation as significance of the Apollo Program, not to mention it still requires a system permit, because "naval rank grinds"

Thanks for those who answered my post re Xbox. I am still out in the Abyss, about 60kly from Sol, so it will be touch and go to get back for the start in a 34ly AspX but now going to give it a go.

Top Bottom