Engineering upgrade question

Thanks, I’ve been completely ignoring the materials offered until now. I imagine they take up room in your cargo hold- how/ where do you store these items for future use ? I fly a Python as my main transport ship- do gathered mats sit in my cargo hold until I need to use them ? Or ...
Short answer, they are basically stuffed in your spacesuit pockets.
(I kid you not)

I guess this exercise is for me an experiment as much as anything. I’m having a great time playing the game; Elite Trade status, 1.3 billion cr’sand not a single Engineerd ship. I do however badly want to go to Colonia and ultimately Sag A, so I thought I’d try the Engineer dance with the hope of increasing my FSD range. I now see that after all the procurement of mats and echoes and everything else, after all that’s it’s still a ‘roll of the dice’.
I think if combat is your thing it’d probably be tough to compete w/o engineering.

Good luck with you're journey OP. Also the Guardian FSD module is a good module to unlock once you're fully engineered.
As posted earlier, Cmdr Exigeous has a number of helpful vids on how to achieve it.

I'm going to one of my old familiar RES sites to find chemical processors, do I use my cargo hatch or do I need collecotr limpets to grab them ?

I'm going to one of my old familiar RES sites to find chemical processors, do I use my cargo hatch or do I need collecotr limpets to grab them ?
Sometimes I find it's just as easy doing it with the ship, reversing backwards and forwards through the cluster of items. Depends on the ship, too. If in doubt take limpets.

I got an offer of 28 limpets as an alternate payout for a cargo mission, should I take them ? How are they deployed ? Are they also transferable ship-to-ship ?

a2MMmh1h.png

Depends how good you are at flying ;)

It'll be a lot quicker with collectors, but you don't strictly need them.

I got an offer of 28 limpets as an alternate payout for a cargo mission, should I take them ? How are they deployed ? Are they also transferable ship-to-ship ?
You might as well take them from there if you want limpets, but most of the time people pick them up through the "Advanced Maintenance -> Restock" menu, where you can buy as many as you want for 101 credits each at almost any station. They'll move between ships like other cargo if you have enough cargo space in the new ship.

To deploy them:
- buy a Collector Limpet Controller
- assign it to a fire group and fire button
- target nothing (deselect your current target), fire the controller, open your cargo hatch, and watch the limpet pick stuff up for you. Larger controllers can have more limpets out at once, but for materials collection, generally one limpet is fast enough, and two is definitely as many as you need.

The reason you target nothing is that if you fire a Collector with something targeted, the limpet will specifically go for that object only, pick it up, return it, then self-destruct. Great if there was literally only one thing you wanted, but generally it just means you get through a lot more limpets than otherwise

Thank you for your detailed reply. I can't believe how much I'm still learning of Elite just about every day so please forgive my noobishness. As mentioned I'm heading to a Hi RES spot for chem processors, my combat 'method' is basically to horn in on the FEDs doing damage to the bad guys, plant a shot or two and then let the cops finish him off while I collect the bounty.
In this scenario lies my question; when said bad guy blows up do I then rush in to where he was, target nothing but check my left side contact panel to see what goodies he dropped and only then fire the limpets ?
I really would like to do this right the first time, bought 8 collector limpets and have free cargo space for 4 tons of mats ( 12 tons w/o the limpets on board).

You might as well take them from there if you want limpets, but most of the time people pick them up through the "Advanced Maintenance -> Restock" menu, where you can buy as many as you want for 101 credits each at almost any station. They'll move between ships like other cargo if you have enough cargo space in the new ship.

To deploy them:
  • buy a Collector Limpet Controller
  • assign it to a fire group and fire button
  • target nothing (deselect your current target), fire the controller, open your cargo hatch, and watch the limpet pick stuff up for you. Larger controllers can have more limpets out at once, but for materials collection, generally one limpet is fast enough, and two is definitely as many as you need.
The reason you target nothing is that if you fire a Collector with something targeted, the limpet will specifically go for that object only, pick it up, return it, then self-destruct. Great if there was literally only one thing you wanted, but generally it just means you get through a lot more limpets than otherwise

Thank you for your detailed reply. I can't believe how much I'm still learning of Elite just about every day so please forgive my noobishness.
Don't worry about it. We were all new once, but those of us who were around for a while got started when there was a lot less Elite Dangerous to know, so we've only had to pick it up a little bit at a time.

As mentioned I'm heading to a Hi RES spot for chem processors, my combat 'method' is basically to horn in on the FEDs doing damage to the bad guys, plant a shot or two and then let the cops finish him off while I collect the bounty.
In this scenario lies my question; when said bad guy blows up do I then rush in to where he was, target nothing but check my left side contact panel to see what goodies he dropped and only then fire the limpets ?
Yep, that'll do it. If it goes wrong, just fire another limpet.

Quick thing to watch: if the pirate spilled any cargo, your limpets will go for that too, and it'll count as stolen and you'll get a fine when the police scan you. Just dump it again from your right panel and you should be okay - limpets shouldn't try to pick up cargo that you dumped.

Collector limpets last a few minutes, so you might even not need to fire one for the second pirate as the one from the first pirate might still be following you around.

Recently they do, was trying to get rid of stolen limpets only minutes ago ..
Oh great.

Okay, alternative: if you see the pirate has dropped cargo as well, go to your left panel and use the "ignore <cargo name>" option on each type of cargo, then launch the limpet once that's done. A bit inconvenient, and you may have to remember to turn it off later if you actually want to be a pirate or miner, but it'll do for now.

The best way to handle it, is to experiment in the game. The experience gained will be worth so much more than trying to remember what everyone is advising you.

We've all had to do this, and it can be fun ..... but don't use an expensive ship (in case you lose it from mistakes with carrying cargo in a RES site)

As said already, if a limpet inadvertently brings cargo on board, you will be targeted by pirates and fired on. That may be a good thing so that you can retaliate, but sometimes they are in a wing and damage happens fast !

Be prepared to jump out if your damage is occurring too fast.

a2MMmh1h.png

No, don't take the limpets, lol.

They only cost 100 Cr ea and you'll just have to sell them, unless you actually need some right then.
That is seriously one of the worst rewards, lol.
It's actually kind of a joke among some folks.

The way you generally want to go is choose rep until you are allied with that faction.
Then choose cash or engineering materials.

If
you are doing BGS work you will be interested in influence.

Commodities are usually ignored.
The exception would be when you need something like modular terminals, which are required for Marco Qwent and can only be obtained from missions.

Well, I guess I need some limpet education.

Went to the HI-RES with 8 limpets in tow. Killed the bad man in the usual way, he blows up and I scoot on over to where I thought he used to be.
Since I'm not targeting anything I don't really know to a certainty of where that is. Nonetheless I let loose a limpet and.. well I'm not sure what happened. I know I deployed three limpets because they're gone from my inventory. But where they went or if I was even looking in the right direction I don't know. My inventory shows no mats picked up.

• when the ship blows up I'm generally combat maneuvering. It's hard thereforen to be sure with any certainy where the ship was
  • should I deploy the limpets immediately after he blows up, assuming proximity
  • when the limpet is deployed, what's supposed to happen next exactly ? I've throttle down to zero and am just sort of sitting there, in space, cockipit blinking red..waiting for something to happen

Clearly I am an idiot.

If it goes wrong..

Top Bottom