Il2 BoS

I have been spending some time with this today since the broken FSS drove me out of elite and i had forgotten what a great game this is.
I had forgotton how intense it was, checking rpms, watching altitude, checking your six, staying with your wing. Its so great to catch a bomber head on and watch it go down :) but man il2 makes elite look like a snooze in an easy chair.

When i last played it i had some trouble spotting planes with the hud turned off but either my eyes have improved or they did some work on it, seems to run smoother than i remember as well.

I do miss my elite squadmates but had forgotton how much fun i had with il2

I have heard of people playing it with keyboard and mouse but i would want to try it. I think there is an arcade mode that might simplify the control set up, but you have all the engine and aircraft surface controls to map as well as gear, breaks, flaps etc.
P2W? what is that?

I enjoy my time on the squad server, VR really makes this game :) @ optimal, you can join a server and fly but make sure that you understand any restrictions like no icons, no map, complex engine management as this can vary wildly. Ideally you need a hotals and rudder pedals but just a joystick is doable if you dont use VR

Last edited:
Is it playable with KB+M? I have a Rift, so I am toying with the thought to try it since a while. How bad is the matchmaking and the P2W?

Yes, you can set it up to be able to play with M+K but of course its way more fun with simple stick. P2W - pay to win, I dont think so, yes you can buy few extra planes but balance is all over the place in this game so... no real advantage that you can buy.
In my opinion (I own two addon planes) they are way overpriced and not worth it. Personally I would invest in a good joystick and one of DCS WW2 birds.

I have heard of people playing it with keyboard and mouse but i would want to try it. I think there is an arcade mode that might simplify the control set up, but you have all the engine and aircraft surface controls to map as well as gear, breaks, flaps etc.
P2W? what is that?

I had no issues with Elite + VR + KB+M combo, so I might give it a try.
P2W as below are the pay to win elements...

I enjoy my time on the squad server, VR really makes this game :) @ optimal, you can join a server and fly but make sure that you understand any restrictions like no icons, no map, complex engine management as this can vary wildly. Ideally you need a hotals and rudder pedals but just a joystick is doable if you dont use VR

Thanks, I need to get familiar with it first. Also, at the moment I am fully involved with World of Warships, though matchmaking and RNG is often very annoying.

Yes, you can set it up to be able to play with M+K but of course its way more fun with simple stick. P2W - pay to win, I dont think so, yes you can buy few extra planes but balance is all over the place in this game so... no real advantage that you can buy.
In my opinion (I own two addon planes) they are way overpriced and not worth it. Personally I would invest in a good joystick and one of DCS WW2 birds.

I do realize it is more immersive with a stick, but KB+M and VR worked out quite well for Elite, in fact I think it even has advantages like the ability to type, and also in case of Elite, for exploration simply the resting position of the arms is more comfortable.

Deleted member 110222

D
How do you reckon the game would run on my system? Details in my signature.

I would be looking to play at 1080p.

Depending on how much I don't spend this month, I might get the game in June. My birthday is also in June, so there's the remote possibilty I'll get some Steam credit, as that's what my sister and her husband usually send my way the last few years.

Yes you can be a tanker :) that is actually fun.

How do you reckon the game would run on my system? Details in my signature.

I would be looking to play at 1080p.

Depending on how much I don't spend this month, I might get the game in June. My birthday is also in June, so there's the remote possibilty I'll get some Steam credit, as that's what my sister and her husband usually send my way the last few years.
It runs fine on mine on high detail settings with some of the extras like 4k textures and hdr turned on. I have an i7 8700 and a geforce 1060, so i think you'd be good.

Deleted member 110222

D
It runs fine on mine on high detail settings with some of the extras like 4k textures and hdr turned on. I have an i7 8700 and a geforce 1060, so i think you'd be good.
Awesome. Sounds like I'll be just fine at vanilla 1080p then. :)

The add on planes are just collector items, you don’t get any advantage, it’s a way for the community to support the development of the game, I got all the planes, I almost exclusively fly FW190 and HE110 planes. When we get the panther tank I will get it but the Tiger is a love child 😁

The add on planes are just collector items, you don’t get any advantage, it’s a way for the community to support the development of the game, I got all the planes, I almost exclusively fly FW190 and HE110 planes. When we get the panther tank I will get it but the Tiger is a love child 😁
I bought the fw 190 a3 (iirc ) and its fun to fly, but i almost always fly the 109 f and g variants, best planes on the eastern front imo, certainly early on.

Just a heads up. Another of the regular sales now on (website until May 31st, Steam until May 29th):

Battle of Stalingrad - 66% Off (Website and Steam)
Battle of Moscow - 66% Off (Website and Steam)
Battle of Kuban – 33% Off (Website and Steam)
Blazing Steppe Scripted Campaign – 50% Off (Website and Steam)
Fortress on the Volga Scripted Campaign – 50% Off (Website and Steam)
Ten days of August Scripted Campaign – 50% Off (Website Only)
Havoc Over the Kuban Scripted Campaign – 50% Off (Website Only)
Cliffs of Dover BLITZ – 50% Off (Website Only)

The much-anticipated Me 262 for Battle of Bodenplatte is expected to be released within the next two or three weeks, along with
the S.E.5a and Albatros D.Va for Flying Circus.

The Me 262 looks a real beauty. It'll be interesting to see how they model the rather temperamental Junkers Jumo 004 engines.

Deleted member 110222

D
As an X52 user, what can I expect from trying to fly planes with multiple engines? Should I stick to single-engine?

As an X52 user, what can I expect from trying to fly planes with multiple engines? Should I stick to single-engine?

I think most people fly multi-engined aircraft with a single throttle control. I do. It is rarely an issue in the air, unless an engine sustains damage, and you need to select one engine only to shut down and/or feather the prop, which involves using the keyboard. It can sometimes be useful to operate the engine throttles independently while taixiing, but again you can select individual engines via the keyboard.

You can individually select engines if you feel the need to control them separately with the same throttle lever...but the single throttle handle works just fine (having flown IL2 with an X52 before the X56) Keyboard switching works fine and is quite intuitive.

Deleted member 110222

D
Awesome guys, because there's a few twin-engine aircraft I'm interested in. :)

Top Bottom