General / Off-Topic So... Do we have free will? :)

Matthew 7:9-11 King James Version (KJV)
9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Whenever people quote scripture I remember the first man to print the bible in English was burned at the stake.

I would have been comfortable keeping the discussion of Christianity restrained to it's connection with morality and ethics inasmuch as they pertain to the concept of free will. Not sure what some of you are on about at this point. I will say that denigrating people for their religious beliefs is pretty distasteful.

i read a few pages back and saw nothing of the sort. i saw sixxes posting gospell, repeatedly, a bit like an automata, and people replying very rationally.

however i was indeed expecting the thread to descend into a religious or moral polarization, it's indeed a chore concept in any worldview. that's why i switched off the thread after a few very interesting pages in the first place, so for sure no disrespect from my part! we can get back to topic any time, just let the moral drivel out! :D

I think we all sort of ‘know’ that we have free will. Our laws and penal systems are base on that idea.
We are probably just to dumb to prove it.

Science has a long way to go to give us the complete picture. If we get there, we will probably still have a hard time making sese of it.
Our low scientific level does not make alternative ideas more plausible though. It just means we need to think better and work harder.

Remember: pics or it didn’t happen. :)

Yeah, this is what I was talking about. Quoting scripture in this thread is definitely not helping your case. In fact, it implies your argument has been torpedoed beneath the water line and is going down fast. Mind you, that's coming from someone who's sympathetic to your cause.

Retool your argument, my friend.

OK.. firstly...
the scripture about faith of the Centurion...and the acknowledgements therein

a man who asks for help receives help from a good man who is willing and able to help within his capacity to do so... Matthew 7:7 & common knowledge proves this to be true( most people who can help will help when it is health related

The Centurion acknowledges Jesus as a "Lord" and calls him so... why would a centurion of the Roman Army acknowledge Jesus as a Lord unless he truely believe it to be so!!
multiple scriptures attest to its validity... and believers in Christ recognise it to be truth. Romans 10:9 is but one scripture

The centurion Acknowledges the power and Authority of Jesus through his understanding on earth likewise recognises the same Authority in heaven.

The centurion acknowledges the spoken word is what is required to make manifest the changes to make his servant well (Matthew 28:18 is not only a proclamation but a inheritance of his fathers Power and Authority)
(i would note.. it was the power of Gods word that brought light into the world...... Genesis 1:3)

The most seemingly insignificant part is the most important... and that is the centurions unworthiness with respect to his relationship with Jesus.. we see a humbling of the centurion before his Lord whom he had acknowledged (proverbs 3:34 James 4:6 peter 5:5)

So, to sum up the last few pages.

Logically: Religion, with its methods of controlling its followers and often attempting to even manipulate the way people think: must become a barrier, to free will.

That's actually a very good point. Well said!

Insulting and calling people stupid, simply because they have a opinion, that opposes your own. Isn't very nice either.

I think, that stating that a chicken, is more intelligent than I am; hit that mark.

Let he who has not sinned; cast the first stone.

If the truth makes one look silly.... should we all then remain silent and not share
for your truth might make me look silly ..
and likewise mine...

Let the truth be heard and the fools revealed!!

Free will?

Who's Will and why have they been detained?

I think we all sort of ‘know’ that we have free will.

We don't know anything.

We do have to make a few assumptions though. Would be pretty hard to go about life otherwise.

Our laws and penal systems are base on that idea.

Where do you live again?

Most laws and penal systems I'm familiar with are based on a sadistic need for vengeance juxtaposed against a phobia of getting one's hands dirty, resulting in faceless institutions that ultimately exist to oppress undesirables and enforce social order through threat of ruin, prison, or death.

Will definitely doesn't get set free here. He does 25 years for his third strike on a petty drug charge, becomes a hardened criminal, and is then booted back into society as a pariah with neither the skills nor opportunity to make an honest living, goes nuts and kills five people before committing suicide by cop.

Who's Will and why have they been detained?
Well, Free Willy then ;)

615nyQ7lzQL._AA256_.jpg

So far I haven't really seen a solid rational for the non existence of free will except for the over eager wishful thinking of a handful of atheists on what has become a bit of a cesspool of a thread.

Props to the op for trying to keep it rational. Now I'm going to excercise my own free will to say buh bye to all you self proclaimed npc like programs in the matrix.

o7

Where do you live again?

Most laws and penal systems I'm familiar with are based on a sadistic need for vengeance juxtaposed against a phobia of getting one's hands dirty, resulting in faceless institutions that ultimately exist to oppress undesirables and enforce social order through threat of ruin, prison, or death.

Will definitely doesn't get set free here. He does 25 years for his third strike on a petty drug charge, becomes a hardened criminal, and is then booted back into society as a pariah with neither the skills nor opportunity to make an honest living, goes nuts and kills five people before committing suicide by cop.

Where I live prisson means free education and good living standard, but that is not the point.
The point is that when we sentence someone, we assume they are responsible for their crimes.
If they didn’t have free will, they could not be blamed for the crime.
This does of course not prove that we have free will. It just shows that society thinks so.

On a more philosophical note one could question if it is even possible for the idea of free will to excist, without free will itself.

Just by reading the example i can tell you're referring to the US.
In Germany the maximum Prison sentence is 15 years (for murder) and only in extreme cases they get an additional (mit anschließender Sicherheitsverwahrung)
which basically means they won't have a chance to get out on parole during the 15 years and depending on the verdict for an unspecified time period after that.
But that only applies to the most extreme cases over here.

Just an informative post, not part of the debate.

I worked that out from your 1st post here.

I used to have you in my ignore list; but then, on reflection. I realised, just how entertaining you really are.
im sure ill put my foot in my mouth eventually.... and ill have to concede i am no smarter than a chicken!!
jokes
;)

Top Bottom