We have rats, currently have five though we've had up to nine in the past. Adorable wee creatures and very intelligent. How could anyone resist these cuties...

I think that only another pet lover can truly understand what it means when our pets die. Rats don't live particularly long - around 3 1/2 years is a long life for a rat. We've lost our share and it breaks our hearts each time. But we comfort ourselves knowing that we gave them a great life and they were well-loved. The last one of ours to die was Snuggles a few months back; she'd had a stroke when she was young but outlived all her sisters. In the end she had several mammary tumours (female rats are very prone to this), so we had to take her on the one way journey to the vet. She loved the vet, and she was boggling and bruxing (something rats do when they're super-happy) and she died in our arms. Our vets were excellent as always; they have a quiet room where me and my partner were able to sit and cry our eyes out.

Our current mischief (the collective noun for a group of rats) are so active and hyper - one of them, Nimbus, is albino and completely blind. She's adopted me and gets upset if she doesn't get the chance to groom me each day lol.

As a small aside, all our little ones have been rescues from the SSPCA or from others who could no longer look after them. We never, ever, get pets from a pet shop - doing so would only support breeding farms and the awful 'factory production' of animals to sell.
Oh look: It's Basel the hamster.

My co-pilot:

TFlgsYm.jpg

b4By71Z.jpg

I always was and I will be a cat person :)

Attachments

• XVM0dbdcb2e-7332-11e9-b8c3-07871af7bb9d-805x453.jpg
    XVM0dbdcb2e-7332-11e9-b8c3-07871af7bb9d-805x453.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 73
  • XVM8b844cb4-730e-11e9-b8c3-07871af7bb9d.jpg
    XVM8b844cb4-730e-11e9-b8c3-07871af7bb9d.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 162
  • XVM8db95a64-7332-11e9-b8c3-07871af7bb9d-805x500.jpg
    XVM8db95a64-7332-11e9-b8c3-07871af7bb9d-805x500.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 70
  • XVM67ffd5dc-7332-11e9-b8c3-07871af7bb9d-805x453.jpg
    XVM67ffd5dc-7332-11e9-b8c3-07871af7bb9d-805x453.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 73
  • XVMefdbff54-7331-11e9-b8c3-07871af7bb9d-805x453.jpg
    XVMefdbff54-7331-11e9-b8c3-07871af7bb9d-805x453.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 74
  • XVMff9b580e-7331-11e9-b8c3-07871af7bb9d-805x453.jpg
    XVMff9b580e-7331-11e9-b8c3-07871af7bb9d-805x453.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 73
Got two dogs, and one cat and a parrot 😁
Now to be honest, the Cat is my Daughters, and the parrot is my wife's.

They all live together, we don't separate them, actually they get along much better than the humans in this house sometimes 😂

Years ago, one of the cats we had back then had caught something and was toying with it in the garden. Spotting this, I stepped in and grabbed the creature as it looked to be still alive.
It was some weird kind of mouse. Really tiny round ball of fluff and didn't have a tail. There was no blood, so it didn't look like the cat had bitten it off.

Anyway, I put it in an old fishtank with some bird seed, a pot of water and a bunch of toilet paper to begin with. Showed it to my mum when she came home later that day.

'Look at this strange mouse the cat had this morning.'
'That's not a mouse, it's a baby Russian hamster.'

We were completely bemused as to where the cat could have got a hamster from.

The little thing lived for years. Just a bit annoying to be regularly woken in the wee hours of the morning to the sound of it trundling in it's wheel. (Why do hamsters like to run in wheels? It seems instinctive for them to climb into this thing where they run a lot and go nowhere.)

Some time after he'd passed on, my mum was talking to one of the neighbours. Don't know why the conversation went to small creatures but said neighbour mentioned that ages ago she had a hamster that'd had a litter of babies. Was cleaning out the cage on the kitchen table, left them unattended for a short space of time only to find one of them missing when she came back.

He is a Russian blue cat ?

no, that was just me screwing up the light in that photo. looks cool though. his fur can have shimmers of blue or even brown in sunlight, but he's mostly black, his mother was a bombai and his father a siamese.

both passed away a few years ago. i've been considering to seek more furry company for him, but the death of his mother was quite traumatic and he didn't really get along well with his father, he died before they could settle a long standing power struggle between them, fights were constant and fierce. for the time being he seems to be doing very well alone.

no, that was just me screwing up the light in that photo. looks cool though. his fur can have shimmers of blue or even brown in sunlight, but he's mostly black, his mother was a bombai and his father a siamese.

both passed away a few years ago. i've been considering to seek more furry company for him, but the death of his mother was quite traumatic and he didn't really get along well with his father, he died before they could settle a long standing power struggle between them, fights were constant and fierce. for the time being he seems to be doing very well alone.
Father / Son relationships are sometimes delicate.

:)

I dug his grave yesterday and laid him down to rest with the family. We all will miss him for a long time.

Rest in piece little fella

TYgCRJr.jpg

I didn't see the post until Arry expressed his condolences.

I'm sorry for your loss. That's heartbreaking! :(

Top Bottom