General / Off-Topic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is Burning

Build it as was, set up various apprentice schemes, masons, chippies etc.
Get some good from it.

I wanted to reply with something funny, but actually there's a really obvious reason for the different architects to come up with all these.. weird i-want-to-become-a-meme designs.

They want to use the chance to put their stamp on it.
That's quite carnivorous, if you think about it.

If someone actually just redesigned it the way it was.. modern architects... 🤧

I wanted to reply with something funny, but actually there's a really obvious reason for the different architects to come up with all these.. weird i-want-to-become-a-meme designs.

They want to use the chance to put their stamp on it.
That's quite carnivorous, if you think about it.

It probably was not that impressive, before the fire and so it might need spicing up a bit. :D

Mind you, my understanding is there aren't enough trees growing in France these days BIG enough to rebuild the roof with! It might not be all that weird to import wood from elsewhere but it might be at least part of the thinking when looking at new designs.

I wouldn't see the point of glass myself. Not if they rebuild the vaulted ceiling, as you wouldn't be able to see the roof unless you replaced the collapsed vaulting with glass too. But with a lot of light inside, wouldn't that cut the contrast, dimming the rose windows?

Mind you, my understanding is there aren't enough trees growing in France these days BIG enough to rebuild the roof with! It might not be all that weird to import wood from elsewhere but it might be at least part of the thinking when looking at new designs.

There is plenty :)

There are other proposals, as the Syndicat filière bois (SFB) , which brings together the forestry operators.

Also an idea has arisen: that each forest owner in France gives an oak for the reconstruction, on the initiative of the Fransylva foundation, which brings together the 3.5 million private owners of forests in France.

"French forests, public and private, are mobilized "for this jewel of medieval architecture, summarized to AFP Michel Druilhe, president of the France Wood Forest Interprofession.

Some "1.5 million cubic meters of oak are sawn each year in France," he added. What to cover several cathedrals. "If France can offer French oaks, it is thanks to the availability in the forests of Orléans, Allier, Bourgogne, Grand-Est, Normandie or Ile-de-France as Montmorency and Compiègne",he said. That is a total of several million hectares of oaks, on the 17 million hectares of forests that France has.

"The raw material is the same as a thousand years ago.The quality of the oaks used under Saint Louis is the same as today", he said.

Notre Dame requires between 3000 and 5000 cubic meters of oak compared to the 1,5 million cubic meters produced by the France each year.

:D

Philippe Gourmain, President of the Forestry Experts of France, is committed to providing the free oaks for the wood frame.

I wouldn't see the point of glass myself. Not if they rebuild the vaulted ceiling, as you wouldn't be able to see the roof unless you replaced the collapsed vaulting with glass too. But with a lot of light inside, wouldn't that cut the contrast, dimming the rose windows?
Even if there are trees enough, it could be a ecological political issue, and as i said before, you can use engineered wood, just as good if not better.

It would depend on the grade of oak required for this. simply claiming that there are X-number of tons available doesn't work if it isn't of high enough standard.
EU Oak grading system
As I understand it this would require the highest grade which limits the available supply and magnifies the potential ecological impact of cutting.
That would invite a response from not only protesters from across the continent but also from Brussels which fined Poland for cutting forests against the Common Forestry Policy.
Poland fined E4.3 million

It would depend on the grade of oak required for this. simply claiming that there are X-number of tons available doesn't work if it isn't of high enough standard.
EU Oak grading system
As I understand it this would require the highest grade which limits the available supply and magnifies the potential ecological impact of cutting.
That would invite a response from not only protesters from across the continent but also from Brussels which fined Poland for cutting forests against the Common Forestry Policy.
Poland fined E4.3 million

Białowieża is a primary forest in Poland which is not the case in France.

In addition you can see here that the superior quality is abundant for the modest amount of wood for the roof of the cathedral. :)

There are other proposals, as the Syndicat filière bois (SFB) , which brings together the forestry operators.

Also an idea has arisen: that each forest owner in France gives an oak for the reconstruction, on the initiative of the Fransylva foundation, which brings together the 3.5 million private owners of forests in France.

"French forests, public and private, are mobilized "for this jewel of medieval architecture, summarized to AFP Michel Druilhe, president of the France Wood Forest Interprofession.

Some "1.5 million cubic meters of oak are sawn each year in France," he added. What to cover several cathedrals. "If France can offer French oaks, it is thanks to the availability in the forests of Orléans, Allier, Bourgogne, Grand-Est, Normandie or Ile-de-France as Montmorency and Compiègne",he said. That is a total of several million hectares of oaks, on the 17 million hectares of forests that France has.

"The raw material is the same as a thousand years ago.The quality of the oaks used under Saint Louis is the same as today", he said.

Notre Dame requires between 3000 and 5000 cubic meters of oak compared to the 1,5 million cubic meters produced by the France each year.
:D

Spreading the load across France is certainly better than the proposal to source only from Normandy. However I still have doubts about the capacity of France and suspect the load would have to be spread across the whole of Europe due to the sustainability issues.
It would also have the effect of removing a focus for any protest groups which I suspect would be attractive given the involvement of Macron et al.
The same is true of the required workforce though that would likely be somewhat less popular with Macron and his electorate.

Spreading the load across France is certainly better than the proposal to source only from Normandy. However I still have doubts about the capacity of France and suspect the load would have to be spread across the whole of Europe due to the sustainability issues.
It would also have the effect of removing a focus for any protest groups which I suspect would be attractive given the involvement of Macron et al.
The same is true of the required workforce though that would likely be somewhat less popular with Macron and his electorate.
There is often political connotations in protests.

We can see it again on the law of exception that was recently passed by the French parliament.

However, no politic on the forums :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom