Weapons question

I've got a question for the PvP crowd, that I can't find an answer on my own. I was a short time ago at Shinrarta Dezra looking for a fight. I'm flying a Corvette, whose hull and module protection probably saved me from a gank attempt. The attack nor the possible rebuy worries me, but I cannot determine what was used to attack me.

I didn't had enough time to scan the ships, so I cannot give a name to whatever attacked me, but it massively damaged my modules, without either doing much damage to my shield or my hull. I high waked with about 95% hull and a third of my shield, but there were several modules at 60%. I'm aware that heat could do that, but I didn't use a shield cell before waking and my heat level was normal. Phasing sequence can't damage modules as far as I'm aware, so that can also be ruled out. Additionally I always have two module protection units, one 5D and the other a 4D, so the module damage shouldn't have been so high?

The projectile used against me looked like cannon shells, but I don't get how they could have ignored my shield and my hull?

I've got a question for the PvP crowd, that I can't find an answer on my own. I was a short time ago at Shinrarta Dezra looking for a fight. I'm flying a Corvette, whose hull and module protection probably saved me from a gank attempt. The attack nor the possible rebuy worries me, but I cannot determine what was used to attack me.

I didn't had enough time to scan the ships, so I cannot give a name to whatever attacked me, but it massively damaged my modules, without either doing much damage to my shield or my hull. I high waked with about 95% hull and a third of my shield, but there were several modules at 60%. I'm aware that heat could do that, but I didn't use a shield cell before waking and my heat level was normal. Phasing sequence can't damage modules as far as I'm aware, so that can also be ruled out. Additionally I always have two module protection units, one 5D and the other a 4D, so the module damage shouldn't have been so high?

The projectile used against me looked like cannon shells, but I don't get how they could have ignored my shield and my hull?
Flechette.

The Replicated Man

T
In order to protect yourself against Flechettes I would use 2 MRPS. It's easy enough to run a 5D and a 4D mrp on the vette. That will give you more than adequate protection against any sort of flechette damage. Just keep an eye on your plant. They will most likely target the plant or drives first.

I used to run the flechette couriers back when Na'Qan and I used them in PvP before he retired. They are quite effective in the right hands.

Not entirely sure if Point Defense can shoot them down.

In order to protect yourself against Flechettes I would use 2 MRPS. It's easy enough to run a 5D and a 4D mrp on the vette. That will give you more than adequate protection against any sort of flechette damage.
I actually had exactly the MRPs you suggest. I just had a brainfart and called them "module protection units" in the opening post.
I'm certain the FDL which attacked me first had at least four of them, which then might explain the damage.

I assume that flechettes are mostly useful in a wing? Because the damage was not impressive apart from the module damage. If that's the case I will just keep my eyes open and try to avoid wings with flechette users.

Flechettes can do quite a number on ships with poorly protected modules, and often catches people who think shields are an absolute protection, off guard.

Not so useful against tougher ships built to take hull damage and shrug off module damage though. They do kinetic damage, which hull resistances will protect against (even modules), and which MRPs further mitigate.

Not entirely sure if Point Defense can shoot them down.

They can.

Flechette spam is basically 'I do not want to kill you. But I hate your utility modules' guts.'
True but occassionally someone without enough MRPs can have their PP blown out which means "game over", and module repair costs can be pretty hefty for large ships with expensive modules. Much more so than even heavy hull damage.

Not so useful against tougher ships built to take hull damage and shrug off module damage though. They do kinetic damage, which hull resistances will protect against (even modules), and which MRPs further mitigate.
Then my build worked as it should (PP and Frameshift were armoured), it enabled me to run, after realising that I had no chance. But this is a good reason to acquaint myself with the AFMU use in combat.

I have an Alliance Challenger with 3 Flechettes on it and Point Defences can shoot them down quite easily. So that's another way to protect against them.

Then my build worked as it should (PP and Frameshift were armoured), it enabled me to run, after realising that I had no chance. But this is a good reason to acquaint myself with the AFMU use in combat.

AFMU is pretty handy for large ships. It can dramatically extend the life of MRPs and quickly get more fragile, or malfunction immune, modules back into service after they are destroyed.

Also, if you can afford it, use reactive bulkheads. They have the best overall combination of resistances and the only sort of non-absolute damage that can pass through shields is kinetic from flechettes. Thermic damage is also the least effective against large ships because only railguns tend to have enough APV to ignore the hull rating. Not that rails or large incendiary projectiles aren't dangerous, but it's much easier to patch a hole in the thermic resistance of reactive than to try to counter both a weakness to kinetic and explosive of the other bulkhead types. My standard vette loadout has kinetic and thermic hull resistances in excess of 50%.

Thanks to the new c1 slot, my vette now has 3 MRPs, ie 94% protection from module dmg. Flechette users fly in wings. They are pretty much harmless by themselves. I would highwake in your situation as well rather than give them time to come up with plan B.

The Replicated Man

T
Thanks to the new c1 slot, my vette now has 3 MRPs, ie 94% protection from module dmg. Flechette users fly in wings. They are pretty much harmless by themselves. I would highwake in your situation as well rather than give them time to come up with plan B.
Krash I was under the impression that you could only stack 2 at a time? A third would only kick in when one was depleted??

Top Bottom