Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

RE: buggy (pun not intended)
What are your terrain geometry settings?
It's been a known fact that some planets' surface doesn't quite line up with the collider geometry if you have your terrain quality decreased. (e.g. the visual geometry of the surface is simpler and flatter than it really is... ehm... "under the surface"). So sometimes you're sinking, sometimes you're floating. So you could try playing with that.
Well,this is on a planet with floating rocks,so i regard it as a feature,not a bug.Since i'm not the only one to have seen these and there is always space for new elements on the periodic table, i am already considering ways in which it's propertoes can be put to use,plus the more mundane aspects of extraction and refining.But i shall certainly look for the settings you mention,although i would guess they are more inaccessible on PS4.

Well,this is on a planet with floating rocks,so i regard it as a feature,not a bug.Since i'm not the only one to have seen these and there is always space for new elements on the periodic table, i am already considering ways in which it's propertoes can be put to use,plus the more mundane aspects of extraction and refining.But i shall certainly look for the settings you mention,although i would guess they are more inaccessible on PS4.
Okay, if you see floating rocks as well, then it's definitely a terrain geometry issue. I'm not sure if you can increase the geometry quality on PS4, though. 😕

It doesn't happen on every planet,though.So it may be one is a geological counterpart to the other.When i drive over the floating rocks,i leave no tracks in the dust even in the spaces inbetween.

Someone mention gardening?
Thanks. :(

Gonna take the 'Scavenger' to check out this new Guardian CG stuff.

After the gardening.:eek:
Don't get ganked by the mozzies.
It’s a nice day for it. Apart from the 45 minutes I spent fault finding and fixing the mower....

Wine and antipasti at my place on offer when you’re done :)
It sounds like you have a cobra . :giggle:
And i quite like pasties.Is it BYO?And do i need a hat?

Don't get ganked by the mozzies.

It sounds like you have a cobra . :giggle:
And i quite like pasties.Is it BYO?And do i need a hat?

The mozzies are quiet today; a little too breezy, and not quite the right time of year just yet, thankfully!

Alas, it isn’t a cobra :D A venerable flymo, which delights in having electrical “difficulties” from time to time :)

I’ll knock up some pasties for next week. Then I can offer antipasti pasties ;) The bottles aren’t going down too rapidly, no need to byo, though a sunhat might be in order, it is uncharacteristically sunny today! (This might be my doing - I put in a new water-butt last week, and was hoping for some of the usual monsoon like conditions to fill it up...)

The mozzies are quiet today; a little too breezy, and not quite the right time of year just yet, thankfully!

Alas, it isn’t a cobra :D A venerable flymo, which delights in having electrical “difficulties” from time to time :)

I’ll knock up some pasties for next week. Then I can offer antipasti pasties ;) The bottles aren’t going down too rapidly, no need to byo, though a sunhat might be in order, it is uncharacteristically sunny today! (This might be my doing - I put in a new water-butt last week, and was hoping for some of the usual monsoon like conditions to fill it up...)

Usual downpours are expected to resume next bank holiday weekend.

I got sidetracked in X4 Foundations this week. For some reason I started a new game and discovered that I like the base building stuff, which I ignored before. Watching the drones swarm over your newly designed base and slowly piece it together just as you planned it...it's just very cool.

X4 has a lot of weirdness to it...you have to get used to the interface and there are some strange bugs...but it's quite an expansive game. It's more of an Empire-building game, but you can also fly the ships if you want.

My first game I played it like Freelancer. I took my starter ship around everywhere and did missions and searched for salvage and stuff. I owned just a single ship for a long time.

This time I never even got in a ship until I had a small fleet going and a few millions in the bank. Now I just pop into a ship when needed to claim an abandoned vessel, or do other stuff my crew can't handle. I show up, wave my claws (cuz I'm some kind of lizard-dude) and everybody moves aside to let the Master take over. lol.

Anyway, I know this isn't the place to discuss other games, but it's kinda-sorta related because, you know, "space." Anyway, X4 has its flaws, but it also has moments of greatness. It is nothing like ED in terms of realism or feel or gameplay. But it's still in space :)

Here's a pic of one of my bases mid-build, hanging out over a planet as I watch from (one of my) ships.

First encounter with a ringed life-bearing planet, and it turns out to be a featureless, muddy water world with an ugly grey ring. Sad times.

View attachment 131441
Not all of space can be perfect... I visited a moon in Ceos the other day - it was icy with canyons and everything - there was a sunset aswell at the time - sometimes I realize how breathtaking the beauty of the game is. ;)

I highly recommend a trip to the center of the Galaxy- it is a long journey but totally worth it.

Travelling in the SRV. Suddenly lose power to life support and a message power limit exceeded modules disabled.Everything in the red except the bottom three.I have been going at a fair clip and i'm quite adept at bumping into things on occasion,so it doesn't come as a great shock, more of a 'what have i broken now?' kind of moment.
Until,that is,i try to find the problem.Can't figure it out,can't find reboot repair and oxygen is low.Recall the ship and let the SRV bay sort it out.No dice.Try full ship reboot.Still no joy.
It took me a further ten minutes to figure out the little scamp had run out of fuel.
I never did find that arsenic.Pukka facepalm :)

First encounter with a ringed life-bearing planet, and it turns out to be a featureless, muddy water world with an ugly grey ring. Sad times.
Yeah it is really disappointing that the existence of life doesn't matter in ED, but I suppose it wouldn't have much commercial value, as it were.
Don't expect its aesthetics to improve. There's plenty of beauty to appreciate otherwise tho.

And just like that, game over.Chewed up and spat out by a white dwarf,10,204 ly (166 jumps) from my last port of call, almost halfway to my destination.A new p.b. for the scout.Shame it had to end so abruptly.Plenty more galaxy to see.Off to try again in the explorer.

Yeah it is really disappointing that the existence of life doesn't matter in ED, but I suppose it wouldn't have much commercial value, as it were.
Don't expect its aesthetics to improve. There's plenty of beauty to appreciate otherwise tho.

I mean, there are some cool things to see... but I really feel like it's going to be atmospheric landings that truly make this game amazing. When/if they finally happen. Right now, you can reach a saturation point of rovering around collecting materials, hanging out in ice rings, or hunting ELWs, WWs, and AWs, and start wondering how come Kerbal Space Program can do atmospheres but Elite Dangerous can't?

I feel like step 1, opening up those toxic-atmosphere HMC planets should be easy. Coloured sky, some clouds, lightning, and rain effects. The bases are going to look very similar to existing planetary bases. It's only really the earthlike and water worlds that should need significant work to make them believable; for now, just say that interplanetary drives have undesirable effects in oxygenated atmospheres.

I've seen other players talking about things like atmospheric buffeting and... I don't really want that? During flight all it means is camera shake and motion blur, which I will disable if possible. During landing, it means getting smacked into the pad for no fault of your own.

And just like that, game over.Chewed up and spat out by a white dwarf,10,204 ly (166 jumps) from my last port of call, almost halfway to my destination.A new p.b. for the scout.Shame it had to end so abruptly.Plenty more galaxy to see.Off to try again in the explorer.

My condolences :(

Was it through your own misjudgement, or something completely unavoidable? If the latter, avoid logging in, contact support, and explain your case and that you believe there's a system out there that is instantly lethal to arrivals. They may well put you back in the previous system. Apparently they're good like that :)

If it's your own fault, I hope you at least get the benefit of extra size-1 slots since your last outfit :)

I mean, there are some cool things to see... but I really feel like it's going to be atmospheric landings that truly make this game amazing. When/if they finally happen. Right now, you can reach a saturation point of rovering around collecting materials, hanging out in ice rings, or hunting ELWs, WWs, and AWs, and start wondering how come Kerbal Space Program can do atmospheres but Elite Dangerous can't?

I feel like step 1, opening up those toxic-atmosphere HMC planets should be easy. Coloured sky, some clouds, lightning, and rain effects. The bases are going to look very similar to existing planetary bases. It's only really the earthlike and water worlds that should need significant work to make them believable; for now, just say that interplanetary drives have undesirable effects in oxygenated atmospheres.

I've seen other players talking about things like atmospheric buffeting and... I don't really want that? During flight all it means is camera shake and motion blur, which I will disable if possible. During landing, it means getting smacked into the pad for no fault of your own.
Having atmospheric landings would be awesome but I guess that it's not that simple.

First of all, atmospheres mean weather, wind and climates as well as more complex physics. Anybody can add an atmospheric effect and model a few clouds - but simulating everything while on an atmospheric planet/moon would be cool.

Atmospheric planets and moons would probably mean water and precipitation. And of course vegetation, followed by life. Imagine how much lore and creation would have to go into that - a lot.

This would probably require handcrafting and they would probably just add access to a small area of one planet or moon at first. Frontier hinted on that a few times.

Yeah, as I said, it would be nice but you can't implement it over night. I'd prefer it to be done well, rather than some cheap atmosphere effect.

Top Bottom