Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I highly recommend a trip to the center of the Galaxy- it is a long journey but totally worth it.

I am actually on my way there :)

Right now, I'm heading for the Lagoon Nebula (I think) on the Colonia Highway, about 1kly above the main road. With a 65ly range on my Phantom, it isn't that far between stations, if I actually put my foot down, but I'm chilling out, scanning everything, and mapping every unmapped ELW, WW, or terraformable, regardless of whether it's a first discovery. So far I think I've got about 20m worth of data.

Once I do hit Colonia, I will seriously think about shipping my combat FDL out to unlock the engineer there, if I can afford it, because hell naw I ain't doing this pilgrimage with 20ly jump range. While that's en-route, I think I'll bee-line for Sagg A* and get that ticked off my bucket list.

Beagle point? Maybe. I've got the range, technically I can look up the original route and I imagine the waypoint stations are still there for use. But I've already climbed to the roof of the galaxy, and honestly it ain't all that being on the fringes of space with so few stars. It is weird having blackness on one side and the galaxy on the other, but it's probably not amazing enough to be worth following the DW2 route if you weren't part of the original expedition. IMO.

My condolences :(

Was it through your own misjudgement, or something completely unavoidable? If the latter, avoid logging in, contact support, and explain your case and that you believe there's a system out there that is instantly lethal to arrivals. They may well put you back in the previous system. Apparently they're good like that :)

If it's your own fault, I hope you at least get the benefit of extra size-1 slots since your last outfit :)
Nah! My misjudgement of the entry point into the stream too close to the exclusion zone.Dropped me out of SC but i was then caught in the cone and there was no way to gain exit speed.It's like being inside a tumble dryer,you can see the light(in this case dark)at the end of the tunnel, but even boosting just throws you back into the maelstrom.
AS for the extra size ones,they were utilised,somehow there's still not quite enough room to fit everything in.This time i chose the SRV over the planetary surface scanner,because i find it helps to break the routine a little,and if i wipe out,i still end up back in the cockpit with deadweight to haul around.I'll get there one of these days.

First of all, atmospheres mean weather, wind and climates as well as more complex physics. Anybody can add an atmospheric effect and model a few clouds - but simulating everything while on an atmospheric planet/moon would be cool.

Just my 2p, obviously, but it would be easy to overkill and spend time on features nobody wants. You don't need turbulence, for example, to make a planet's atmosphere pretty. It doesn't have to knock you around because you've flown through a thunderstorm - but the clouds and lightning visuals are easy, as indeed are basic re-entry effects based on altitude and velocity.

Rain is a nice to have, and also easy. Even Minecraft has rain. Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing had rain in 1992 (and it sounded so good!) :)

Terrain gen on atmospheric worlds... that's probably the hard bit. You do want to simulate the effects of a billion years of precipitation. You do want rivers, and flood plains, and oceans, regardless of whether these are water, methane+ethane, or... bromine(?). You also want to simulate equators vs temporate regions vs poles. You ideally want wind-erosion on mountains. And mountains, obviously - we don't really have those right now either.

But all these things are so much easier if you put a blanket ban on life-bearing worlds, even if only temporary. First contact protocols for unexplored worlds, fears of contamination by interstellar drives for the settled ones.

(FDev, if you're reading, I'm trying to help you de-scope the thing we all want and give you a route to deliver half of it in 2019 rather than waiting to 2020 for all of it ;) )

Nah! My misjudgement of the entry point into the stream too close to the exclusion zone.Dropped me out of SC but i was then caught in the cone and there was no way to gain exit speed.It's like being inside a tumble dryer,you can see the light(in this case dark)at the end of the tunnel, but even boosting just throws you back into the maelstrom.
AS for the extra size ones,they were utilised,somehow there's still not quite enough room to fit everything in.This time i chose the SRV over the planetary surface scanner,because i find it helps to break the routine a little,and if i wipe out,i still end up back in the cockpit with deadweight to haul around.I'll get there one of these days.

Oh, sad times my dude, sorry to hear it. Honestly, I'm too scared of neutron/WD boosting to bother unless I absolutely need the range. My Phantom jumps 65ly, and it's got luxuries like a size-2 distributor and dual SRVs. Averaging 45-50s per jump in a plotted route, vs a neutron scoop and re-plot... I'm not 100% convinced the neutrons are faster, or if they are, that they are all that much faster.

But without a surface scanner, how will you find geologicals to farm with the SRV? :oops:

Oh, sad times my dude, sorry to hear it. Honestly, I'm too scared of neutron/WD boosting to bother unless I absolutely need the range. My Phantom jumps 65ly, and it's got luxuries like a size-2 distributor and dual SRVs. Averaging 45-50s per jump in a plotted route, vs a neutron scoop and re-plot... I'm not 100% convinced the neutrons are faster, or if they are, that they are all that much faster.

But without a surface scanner, how will you find geologicals to farm with the SRV? :oops:
I always treat them with respect but they do cut the distance drastically,especially in ships with shorter jump range.(The Scout has about 32,the Explorer about 45).But they certainly take longer to line up for a scoop,i often have to go round a couple times to get to supercharge.
As for POI farming,my needs are pretty simple,limpets, afmu refills, life support and SRV refills,so i don't do too much farming,and i can fill my bins at my own pace with the SRV and random rocks.And i have a surface scanner in the explorer so i can visit poi's when the fancy takes me.I've had a fair bit of luck with biologics too, (sighting,not farming).

When you get dropped into the jet cone, you have one chance to get out.

Charge your FSD for supercruise, wait until it's charged, turn the Flight assist off and start boosting. If you're a bit lucky, at one point the ship's vector will line up and you get away.

You only have one shot, though. If you stay too long, your ship is going to start malfunctioning and after that, you have very little to do other than admiring the view.

I just finished gathering mats at a guardian site to unlock the FSD booster and then I made my way back to JM, scanning systems with the FSS during the trip out and back. I collected about 2 million credits from exploration data and I made Trailblazer exploration rank. I just have to gather a few more mats in the bubble to complete the unlock process, and prep for more engineering before I get the Corvette.

Been having a play around at the 'new' Guardian area in my Keelback.
Fitted size 5 fuelscoop and FSD booster to get out there.
Filled up on Guardian mats from the USSs, had a bimble around the site.
Even fitted weapons to the Keelback :oops:and shot a few baddies.
It's good, a worthwhile purchase.
Heading back to Zende system to get matey with the CG faction, possibly engineer some weapons/shield.
D6j6IQAW4AAt6ab

Nearly at the Lagoon nebula. Suddenly wondering... do I even have the invites for the Colonia engineers?

Pretty sure I have the human-trafficking guy's email, but he can rot in hell. I ain't into that. Forgotten who the one is that wants... Nameless(?) disposing of. I hope they're pirates and not the police. Should probably check before it's too late to turn around. I'm not going to do this run twice.

Nearly at the Lagoon nebula. Suddenly wondering... do I even have the invites for the Colonia engineers?

Pretty sure I have the human-trafficking guy's email, but he can rot in hell. I ain't into that. Forgotten who the one is that wants... Nameless(?) disposing of. I hope they're pirates and not the police. Should probably check before it's too late to turn around. I'm not going to do this run twice.
Note: Try handing in any bounties to that engineer.
If that doesn't work, then try getting 'nameless'.

Note: Try handing in any bounties to that engineer.
If that doesn't work, then try getting 'nameless'.

I think I'm carrying about 30k of bounties that I forgot to hand in :D But I'm not sure he's actually invited me to come and see him...

But maybe I don't care. IIRC he's a combat guy and I am... not. I play from 10 minutes to 10 hours in a day, mostly at random, and on the whole I just like putting my name on planets. My Phantom jumps 65ly, and maybe that last 5 is not worth fighting for :)

The slave trader would be more useful, IIRC, because he's the life support guy - but I'm never going to do his pre-requisite. I know it's a game. I still won't be engaging in the slave trade. Especially not when it's escape pods. Imperial slavery is semi-voluntary, but Etienne(?) is just... no. Don't like him.

Last edited:
Perhaps independent systems ought to allow the hand in of bounties and data packets etc. from all three superpowers.
But in that case I'd like the see the superpower rep decrease.
It's like stumbling onto Russian secret data cashe and selling it to Switzerland.

Want your money? Don't want to travel to Russia? Fine, but they won't be happy about it. ;)

The slave trader would be more useful, IIRC, because he's the life support guy - but I'm never going to do his pre-requisite. I know it's a game. I still won't be engaging in the slave trade. Especially not when it's escape pods. Imperial slavery is semi-voluntary, but Etienne(?) is just... no. Don't like him.
Is that what he is, a slave trader? I never actually investigated, I just collected a couple escape pods and dropped them off. They were just floating around anyway :)

Is that what he is, a slave trader? I never actually investigated, I just collected a couple escape pods and dropped them off. They were just floating around anyway :)
Lies! Filthy lies!
He helps the recovered folk back to full health and offers them an engineering apprenticeship out in Colonia.
Shame on you all. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, i haven't actually met him , guess i shoulda added a smiley instead of looking for a knife'n'fork but you know, dystopian universe & all that.
Maybe i'll suggest Holly do a series of in-depth features on some of the engineers, interviews, lifestyle that kinda thing.From what i gather she is covering the new shuttle service launch, atmo, which might provide some interesting copy.
:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom