News Lifetime Expansion Pass Holders - Update!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
■ I miss the feature of an board computer which gives me the informations i need to trade, engineer and something ingame, instead of jumping on any websites and collect informations that are mostly not representing the reallity in the moment of the game i play the game.
■ I miss the feature of more buggys, panther clipper like in elite 2,
■ I miss the feature of walking around in the ship and stations
■ I miss the feature of landing on superlarge pads with panther clipper on planets with athmosphere
but sure, every little dot is welcome.

Can't miss what you never had.

But I get your meaning. These are features you'd like to see in the game.

Latter half of 2020; the next big update - that'll be free for those with the LEP.

.... plus the minor updates expected between now and then.

Thanks for your answer Robert even though said timeline ist not very satisfying at all. At least not to me, because that's another good one and a half years to go from now...

And the "minor updates" are usually likely to be free content for everyone so that doesn't count into the "LEP case" or at least I don't count it in... ;-/

Thanks for your answer Robert even though said timeline ist not very satisfying at all. At least not to me, because that's another good one and a half years to go from now...

And the "minor updates" are usually likely to be free content for everyone so that doesn't count into the "LEP case" or at least I don't count it in... ;-/

Out of interest.
How many hours of gameplay have you had from the game? What's your spend per minute?

You spent an amount of money at a point in time for a game that you wanted to play.
In doing that you agreed to a commitment that Frontier would provide unspecified content at an unspecified time from that point forward.
Before saying that you (and this goes for all LEP) are unsatisfied, please look at how much you have had out of the game since you started.

As a console player, I was not given the option for LEP.
As a PS4 console player, I was not given the option of a Cobra MkIV.
As a PS4 console player, I have more than justified my spend on Frontier when you consider how long I have spent playing.

People are perfectly entitled to feel aggrieved with their purchase of the Lifetime pass.

The fact is that it was 4 times as much as the full price horizons update, which is to date, the only expansion that has had to be paid for.
Game cost per minute, per day or whatever are completely irrelevant.

Personally, purchasing the LEP taught me a lesson or two, one about paying for something promised/suggested/hinted at in the future and another about FDev and the wider gaming industry and their scruples.

Out of interest.
How many hours of gameplay have you had from the game? What's your spend per minute?

You spent an amount of money at a point in time for a game that you wanted to play.
In doing that you agreed to a commitment that Frontier would provide unspecified content at an unspecified time from that point forward.
Before saying that you (and this goes for all LEP) are unsatisfied, please look at how much you have had out of the game since you started.

As a PS4 console player, I have more than justified my spend on Frontier when you consider how long I have spent playing.

Referring to Steam it's about 3400 hrs of playtime on 3 commanders...

But...

I guess I would have played the same amount without purchasing the LEP, because there's no real gameplay benefit, at least until now, from purchasing it.
The only "real" benefit was a discount on the LEP price back then because I purchased Horizons before the decision to go for the Lifetime Expansion, thinking
of a regular base of paid expansion releases. That was first ditched in favor of the DLC-model... Ok, another name, same game... and since then there was "nothing"
in shape of free updates and expansions. So it will be a good five years from purchasing the LEP until one get's the first expansion for free out of it... probably...
Let's talk about that again in 1.5 years...

Oh, Iirc, Cobra Mk IV and the black friday paintjobs have been a benefit from an early purchase of Horizons though, long before the PS4 and XB1 versions.

People are perfectly entitled to feel aggrieved with their purchase of the Lifetime pass.

The fact is that it was 4 times as much as the full price horizons update, which is to date, the only expansion that has had to be paid for.
Game cost per minute, per day or whatever are completely irrelevant.

Personally, purchasing the LEP taught me a lesson or two, one about paying for something promised/suggested/hinted at in the future and another about FDev and the wider gaming industry and their scruples.

Not everybody paid full price for the LEP. I optioned it during the Kickstarter campaign and as such only paid about 40 pounds extra for the LEP. So in my case I already got my moneys worth with the Horizons and Beyond updates. YMMV.

And by the way, the only thing the LEP promised was that all future updates for Elite Dangerous would be given to you free of charge, nowhere did it state when updates would be released. Updates take time to make, so badgering the developers because you feel you are entitled to new updates NOW is very disingenuous.

Last edited:
Out of interest.
-snip-

According to EDSM, 9W 5D 11H 20M.

I feel like I got my monies worth Thus far. £170 (beta backer £50 + LEP £120) for just shy of 10 weeks of solid play time... someone can do the math.

Last edited:
Not everybody paid full price for the LEP. I optioned it during the Kickstarter campaign and as such only paid about 40 pounds extra for the LEP. So in my case I already got my moneys worth with the Horizons and Beyond updates. YMMV.

That does not diminish the issue for those that paid more. The issue is with the value not yet redeemed.

And by the way, the only thing the LEP promised was that all future updates for Elite Dangerous would be given to you free of charge, nowhere did it state when updates would be released. Updates take time to make, so badgering the developers because you feel you are entitled to new updates NOW is very disingenuous.

A picture tells a thousand words.
Actions speak louder than words.

We have had no pictures, no action and very few words. It is not unreasonable to check up on progress, and it is not unreasonable to expect a response after six months.

What makes you think I am badgering the developers NOW? I am merely expressing my disapointment with what I thought I purchased in the form of a LEP, am I not entitled to do this?

You are correct in stating "that all future updates for Elite Dangerous would be given to you free of charge" what whey didn't state was, other than Horizons, everything would be free for everyone anyway.

If there is any dis-ingenuousness around then I would point the finger squarely at FDev for the start of it. They have continued in this vain ever since with suggested stuff that whips up the hype only to shelve it later...too many examples to name here. However it's their credibility at stake here not mine, and they can do with it, whatever they wish.

That said, I did fall for it again when I paid £50 to join the Planet Coaster beta as it was being hyped as one of the best management sims ever....errr NO the management part of PC is crap and far too simplistic TBH. It is a creative/creators delight, that is just not what I purchased it for. FDev no longer (and haven't for a good while) rave or mention the management part...sound familiar??

Last edited:
Out of interest.

I was given the game for free as a Birthday present, so this means nobody who paid for it has any reason to be unsatisfied regardless how much time they played.

Not really (I bought the game at top price), but I thought I'd try your logic out in this scenario, just for fun ;)

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator

Well, the latter half of this year starts in less than seven weeks - so somewhere between one year one-and-a-half months to one year seven-and-a-half months.

Part of the free content relates to Horizons - which we got as part of the LEP - naturally that content is free to all Horizons owners.

I would love to pay full AAA price every year for both my accounts for DLCs, plus random paints/kits from store, but FD have decided to put the game in maintenance mode for ages, redirecting the ED crew to other games. I’m not happy about this and I think that people initially joined FD to work on ED are not happy too. But at the end of the day it’s just a business

No one in their right minde would buy a LEP pas now, for a game that you can pick up for 12 euros during holliday sales.
They removed the Beta testing for all updates, (something that was part of the LEP and for some the reason to buy it)
Not to mention the Alpha , premium Beta backers and LEP buyers Paying between 100 and 200 euros.
What did they get the dangerous game the horizons pass , the purchase of Cobra mk IV (not exclusive to backers but any one owning Dangerous and horizons before februari 2016) A free eagle a free viper mk IV couple of paintjobs and bubble head.

Now is this game worth a few painjobs or ships that can be bought in game after a few jumps as an explorer or a couple of misions.

They realy wanted to keep their backers happy have some form of prototype ship , nothing over powered . a guardian hybrid or something,perhaps a mini personal carrier for your small ships ,perhaps the Panther clipper or Narwall. what ever but dont come with some paintjobs and bobble heads that is just insulting.

Pre-ordering season passes is basically just gambling. Complaining you didnt get what you hoped for is like complaining it ended on red, or complaining the stocks went down. If that uncertainty is something that one finds disturbing, then just buy stuff when it is released.

Pre-ordering season passes is basically just gambling. Complaining you didnt get what you hoped for is like complaining it ended on red, or complaining the stocks went down. If that uncertainty is something that one finds disturbing, then just buy stuff when it is released.

No it isn't, that's a false equivalence. I didn't buy a lottery ticket, I bought a voucher.

No it isn't, that's a false equivalence. I didn't buy a lottery ticket, I bought a voucher.
A voucher for some stuff that may or may not come. If all of it comes the way you hope, you'll save some cash. If some of it comes, you'll break even. If even less comes you'll lose money. You had no promises as to how many DLC would come, or at what price, so it really is just a gamble. Which is fine, your money so do with it as you please, but do owe up to your choices.

If they said:"You'll get 5 DLC worth $40 each, all for $100 if you buy the LEP now." it would have been a voucher. That didn't happen. They could release atmo landings and space legs as two $1 DLC and that would be totally fine, and you'd lose on the gamble. They can charge a million bucks each and you'd have the deal of a lifetime. You dont know, you gambled.

I do agree with Ian Skippy the LEP was a bit of a gamble. It should be that we all learned a lesson from it. I didn't I did it again with Plan.Coaster. How ever I have learnt it now.

It doesn't mean that at the time I purchased a full price LEP, I believed that FDev were honest and genuine in their ability to deliver a spectacular product that lived up to my expectations, after all that was what they were hinting at. I didn't fail in buying the LEP, they failed to fulfill their part.

Like I said it's FDev's credibilty they are playing/gambling with in the end.

Last edited:
I do agree with Ian Skippy the LEP was a bit of a gamble. It should be that we all learned a lesson from it. I didn't I did it again with Plan.Coaster. How ever I have learnt it now.

It doesn't mean that at the time I purchase a full price LEP, I believed that FDev were honest and genuine in their ability to deliver a spectacular product that lived up to my expectations, after all that was what they were hinting at. I didn't fail in buying the LEP, they failed to fulfill their part.

Like I said it's FDev's credibilty they are playing with in the end.

The only gamble to paying in advance is that the company may go out of business. This kind of distraction comes up every time the LEP is discussed, it's utter rubbish.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom