Allow use of pre 3.3 Advanced Discovery Scanner

Perhaps the FSS needs to be changed so that it isn't built in...
FD added the FSS as a natural expansion over ADS. And i think it's fine. To be fair many players, myself included, find FSS a good exploration mechanic. So rather than trying to "fix something that ain't broke" we would like to see something "new" added in terms of exploration. We don't want to change what we currently have rather than expand possibilities. And maybe restore certain playstyles at that.

I would think that an explorer sets out to be an explorer, and therefore designs the ship with this in mind. As such, I'd prefer to see a situation where ships have only very basic discovery tools. If you want to explore to a greater degree, then it should require using dedicated ship modules and utilities - not in-built systems and scanners (I can't stand all these scanners that have been added).

If a ship has no exploration tools available, it should not be possible to explore a system, except by a very drawn out process.
Never thought of it this way in these 84 pages. Thank You for bringing that to light. Most certainly now it appears that every ship is an exploration ship by default. Given the revealing capabilities of FSS every ship, factory new could go out into the black and start scanning bodies with high detail day one.

That however seems like a little oversight on FD side, or maybe we, CMDRS, are meant to be explorers?
Certainly i am not a fan of giving top shelf gear to everyone in a twinkling of an eye. Also imposing a certain role on everyone from day one.
Whether it was carefully thought out or an oversight (making every ship a top-notch exploration vessel) i guess we'll never know and i don't want to throw any accusations.
I'm getting the feeling that we won't be getting any news at least as long as DW2 is in progress.
Not having any hopes past that date either...

They'd have to remove the engineers to do it. That's the point. They aren't willing to remove the engineers.
Then i suggest that You start a "Discussion thread" on how such problem could be taken care of. Maybe You will hear a few ideas that would make satisfy You and the community :)

Last edited:
It would be nice to hear something from FD to let us know that they’re looking into this.

But, then again, I suppose they don’t want to say anything until they’ve decided on the best way to fix things.
That's assuming that they 'FD' consider it 'broken'
I consider it 'ruddy inconvenient' if not broken, but they're the ones with the keys, remember though, I'm the one with my cash... and it will remain my cash until the 'map on honk' is reinstated at least as an option.

I admit, after the very quick Drag Munitions recant, I'm surprised that Frontier has remained totally silent on this issue for so long. A simple "it's working as intended" or "we hear you and are considering some options" would be nice.
Valid point. From what i've heard FD weren't exactly the best at communicating with the community. But that's what i've heard and i joined around two months ago so can't confirm.
Anyway, what i'd like to point out is what i said in my previous post. That even if we are getting any information from FD it won't be at least until DW2 comes to an end. If anything was going on imagine how disastrous it could potentially be for the entire endeavour with people rushing back towards the bubble to say the least.

That's assuming that they 'FD' consider it 'broken'
I consider it 'ruddy inconvenient' if not broken, but they're the ones with the keys, remember though, I'm the one with my cash... and it will remain my cash until the 'map on honk' is reinstated at least as an option.

Yeah, OK, I should have said "...decide on the best way to improve things."

:)

Last edited:
FD added the FSS as a natural expansion over ADS. And i think it's fine. To be fair many players, myself included, find FSS a good exploration mechanic. So rather than trying to "fix something that ain't broke" we would like to see something "new" added in terms of exploration. We don't want to change what we currently have rather than expand possibilities. And maybe restore certain playstyles at that.
Arguably, FSS is a half-baked implementation that needs ALOT of improvement to make it properly usable. There are numerous flaws with it's implementation, nice idea in some ways but arguably VERY poorly executed. As for the space-golf, I just try to ignore it even exists. But that is all besides the point, arguably required improvements to the FSS are a topic for another thread.

As for this particular topic, I thought we were talking about adding a feature back-in that should not have been removed (it is not exactly new as such as an overall concept) - not adding new stuff to exploration, which arguably is yet another topic for another thread.

Massive usage of the word "arguable" is arguable a compelling argument. I strongly doubt this thread has any chance to move the devs into your desired direction. They're certainly able to put two and two together and see how many different people actually support your request.

But I'm also aware, that since you didn't say anything new (if something at all) your post just followed the purpose that most of these posts do: keeping this thread alive until kingdom comes. If it only would provide some entertainment... the 10th version of the SC thread does a much better job in this regard. 😴

You keep saying that you don't want to keep posting and that this is silly yet here you are...

You keep not fully reading what I say: my self imposed restriction was not to post anymore if the last post is 2 or more hours ago to avoid help bumping this thread up. This one would shift it up 3 or 4 lines in the overview at most and that can hardly be called bumping. Be assured that I'll still be monitoring this nonsense and some of the devious tricks used, e.g. luring inexperienced new players onto your side. These are pretty shabby moves otherwise only seen in the world of politicians. If it's getting too obvious I'll try to put a spoke in your wheel.

Other than that, I have zero intentions to chew over the umpteenth arguments over and over again.

No, I'm sure you imposed that restriction after you said you were leaving...

The way I see it guys is that these 'thread negative' interjections are simply because they're happy with the results they're getting since the FSS dropped,
Look at what they feel they have to lose.

:Free Credits.. the many MR planets are close enough to the star to get a free buzz!
:Free tags, don't even have to press a button now to get the tag to your name!
:Super quick System Scans... don't even need to move for that star and all of it's planets 500kls away!
:Free slot!
:Credits back for the extracted module!

But if ED realise the error and reinstall the 'map on honk' then they might just look at other things as well...
Like.
Adjust the cost of this 'end game' FSS module Cr 50-100 mcr
Adjust the size of this 'end game' FSS module to slot 3-4 (after all look at how big fuel scoops have to be, mine are 64tons...for a clipper!)
Adjust the power usage, perhaps 3A output, perhaps even 30 second systems shutdown on honk!

This thing is a God module, it's a brute, an all seeing and all doing thing for the pilot that has everything except the inclination to explore!

The way I see it guys is that these 'thread negative' interjections are simply because they're happy with the results they're getting since the FSS dropped,
Look at what they feel they have to lose.

:Free Credits.. the many MR planets are close enough to the star to get a free buzz!
:Free tags, don't even have to press a button now to get the tag to your name!
:Super quick System Scans... don't even need to move for that star and all of it's planets 500kls away!
:Free slot!
:Credits back for the extracted module!

But if ED realise the error and reinstall the 'map on honk' then they might just look at other things as well...
Like.
Adjust the cost of this 'end game' FSS module Cr 50-100 mcr
Adjust the size of this 'end game' FSS module to slot 3-4 (after all look at how big fuel scoops have to be, mine are 64tons...for a clipper!)
Adjust the power usage, perhaps 3A output, perhaps even 30 second systems shutdown on honk!

This thing is a God module, it's a brute, an all seeing and all doing thing for the pilot that has everything except the inclination to explore!
Cool joke. Made me laugh a lot

I meant discussion in this thread to result in a way that not a single group loses on anything.
Unfortunately, as was evident during 3.3 Beta discussions and elsewhere there will always be those that will oppose the ADS-replacement/SMC idea just because it unveils the map.

Some claim the map is a reward, yet there is literally no objective basis for this assertion.

Top Bottom