Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

The Replicated Man

T
I have been aware of a "Trainer" for quite some time, when the 32 bit version of Elite was abandoned by FDEV, it took the hackers a long time to make a updated 64 bit version of the trainer. It's out there though and more and more are using it. Personally I have encountered people who rarely come into open and forget they had the "Hacks On" then flick the switch when someone noticed. It's becoming more and more commonplace now.

At first the Premium ammo accusations started flying but then people got to thinking and this explains many a situation.

Correct. I'm fine with a first strike perma.

you know there is no correlation between the harshness of penalties and crime incidence levels, right?

what demotivates crime is not the harshness of the punishment, but the predictability or even inevitability of it. you are really expecting frontier handing out perma bans solely based on youtube inspection?

even ignoring any experience with 'game admin' stuff until now, you realize those will need to be really (i mean really) blatant cases. meaning majority of them will go unpunished. meaning little chance of getting caught. and this is assuming a very diligent implication by frontier.

i completely agree with your concerns but i think your strategy needs a bit of work.

Last edited:
you know there is no correlation between the harshness of penalties and crime incidence levels, right?

what demotivates crime is not the harshness of the punishment, but the predictability or even inevitability of it. you are really expecting frontier handing out perma bans solely based on youtube inspection?

even ignoring any experience with 'game admin' stuff until now, you realize those will need to be really (i mean really) blatant cases. meaning majority of them will go unpunished. meaning little chance of getting caught. and this is assuming a very diligent implication by frontier.

i completely agree with your concerns but i think your strategy needs a bit of work.
No, I for one am expecting frontier to improve the client with hardcoded plausibility checks to automaticaly detect hacks.

Take this example from the OP:
"When you line up a volley of 5 PAs on an FDL, no matter how good the build is, you're going to be doing a ton of damage. When those shots land and the shields sit at 100% for the next 3 minutes after you're dumping volley after volley into them, that's pretty easy to catch, right?"
The game client could easily and reliably detect the same discepancy between what should happening and what is happening. Just count the amount of hits with certain weapons, multiply it with weapon damage, subtract shield recharge and compare it with difference in shield strength. If a significant discrepancy appears: Permaban

Even better would be a crc-check, best make it delayed. If you manipulate the memory, wait a few weeks (that makes it very hard to catch during development of the hack) and then ban the account without warning.

No need to fumble around with youtube videos.

Things that make you go hmmm....
This current hack is very like the sort of thing that turns up for older mmo's - EQ , Star wars galaxies, City of heroes etc for folk playing "emulated" servers - in some degree because the companies that have the IP don't really care that much any more.
Is Elite dangerous's engine getting the same attention and protection and level of interest from Frontier as it would have had at launch I find myself wondering ? - we have the occasional "it's in caretaker mode" post and while I have my doubt's on that - how much do Frontier care I wonder ?
Of course if the cheat engine turns up on the official store for £10 we would know for sure ;)

No, I for one am expecting frontier to improve the client with hardcoded plausibility checks to automaticaly detect hacks.

then, my friend, ryan_m's proposal of perma bans is still the most plausible line of action after all. i would love to be wrong, but you wanting it doesn't make this right.

sorry, i'm not seeing frontier re-engineering this pile of spaghetti right now, this is a done deal. adding a megaship, moving a station, even addding a new space insect, that's one thing. have you seen their output in the last year? six months? that's what you can reasonably expect. of course it's possible for them to pull off an heroic stunt now. that's why i have amassed up that much popcorn! is it reasonable to expect it? nope.

your only hope is that they don't repeat the mistake in new era. and i wouldn't take that for granted.

Last edited:

The Replicated Man

T
Allowing you to change the UI to your personal taste in Colours shouldn't be considered a punishable hack.
This went beyond that. Changing multiple hud elements with different colors. Everyone has the ability on PC to change the overall main hud colors but not change specific portions of the hud to different ones. This is something this engine provides the "Cheaters" the ability to do. Which isn't the end of the world, but FDEV have said in the past it was impossible.

This went beyond that. Changing multiple hud elements with different colors. Everyone has the ability on PC to change the overall main hud colors but not change specific portions of the hud to different ones. This is something this engine provides the "Cheaters" the ability to do. Which isn't the end of the world, but FDEV have said in the past it was impossible.
Surely in this case FDEV are the worse party? They develop the game, but they can do less with the code than a third party?

This speaks for itself...

Attachments

• yINcWMV4.jpg
    yINcWMV4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 226
  • yINcWMV3.png
    yINcWMV3.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 240
  • yINcWMV2.png
    yINcWMV2.png
    200.5 KB · Views: 227
  • yINcWMV.png
    yINcWMV.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 235
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom