Fdev hint at space legs (Ship theft) Too soon™ - Barben video link inside

Stealing ships... only if there's a way you can lock them and theft only happens when you screw up and forget to lock it.

Honestly, ship theft is incredibly tough to add to ED in a way that isn't either extremely punishing to 'casuals', or extremely exploitable. If I can use insurance to get a new corvette when someone steals mine, I'll let everyone on my friendlist come and steal my corvette. :p

I accept that David Braben did say that ship theft will be a part of the game in future, as part of the future expansion that brought withit the ability to walk around stations. And I am a great supporter of "space legs" I reckon it could add so much to the game, and I have commented on this numerous times. And its not just pewpew FPS that "legs" could bring to the game, roleplay and immersion would also be boosted:

Imagine hitting a station in famine state and seeing lots of malnourished NPC's begging for food, or one in civil war state and seeing a large amount of troops in camo & armour, and also some injured veterans. Imagine walking through an opulent wealthy imperial starport to get to the comodities market to buy imperial slaves, imagine taking those poor bankrupt imperial citizens to a dingy dystopian anarchy where you sell them in to full on hard slavery. Imagine trying to buy a backload of narcotics from a denizen of that same starport and getting mugged. Imagine killing time in a starport lobby/bar waiting on your ship transferring to that port, and overhearing two NPC's talking about their successes mining, you now know they are fitting uprated shields to their ship here, then heading to a starport 3 jumps away to get the best possible price for their void opals, imagine what could happen if someone were to pirate them enroute, imagine the thrill of being that someone

But I honestly don't think that this li'l galnet story arc is a teaser of things to come in 2020. While "legs" and There are however Rebuy would be an issue, can you imagine the tsunami of tears in the forum, "my 600m ccnda got stolen from me at a starport WAH!! WAH WAH!!". You'd also need some gameplay to which is the omnipresent computer in the cab clipping on you for every little transgression. Without some way circumvent the ships transponder automatically grassing you in how are you going to be able to do anything with the stolen ship? And with the computers automatically dobbing you in, what sort of notoriety would ship theft incur? And with the nonsensical crimes follow the ship not the CMDR, yet its the cmdr stealing the ships, hows that going to work? With current crimes I could steal one of your ships from storage, go on the rampage killing half a systems ships, sneak myself back into the original starport I stole your ship from, park your ship up as if nothing happened, and walk away leaving you to take the wrap for my killing spree, the first you'd know of it would be if you jumped into any system controlled by the faction I'd been rampaging against in your ship, and found yourself immediately getting swamped with ATR death squads.

Yes the stealing of the ship could be a ton of fun, splintercell style gameplay sneaking through the shadows towards the target ship, and hacking / circumventing the security protocols, quite thrilling, and not just blind shoot-em-up gameplay as so many detractors of space legs cite. There could also be a new way to complete assassination missions, sneak aboard the targets ship at dock as a stowaway, first person perspective murder them in the ship have and EVA out of the ship into a wingmans ship who gives you a lift to one of your ships. OR if the target is passenger on the ship rather than the pilot of that ship, do the hit in their cabin, when docked, or on approach to dock sneak out an airlock, or after the hit secrete yourself in the machinery spaces of the ship, and climb down the landing gear as the ship docks or when it is docked. There is then the whole game story of how the unwitting cmdr of the passenger ship explains the corpse in his passenger cabin, and how they get exhonourated from a murder they did not commit, ie your hit aboard their ship.

Such infiltration needn't necessarily end in death of a character, how many times have you ran data courier missions and had npc's trying to ambush you to stop you delivering that data, using first person stealth mechanics you could sneak onto a ship at dock, delete the data enroute, sneak off the ship at the destination starport and chuckle to yourself as the cmdr whose ship you stowawayed on has to explain to the mission giver and recipient factions that they don't know how, but they have lost the data.

Lets not forget the NPC crew we can HIRE. They can act as security while our char. is walking around port. During flight they will do their normal fighter thing. :)
__

That isn't true. Most additions to the game have been heralded by gal-net articles. Then again, many gal-net articles are just world-building fluff. This article could mean something. Or nothing.

I did hear a few month ago on glanet news about a ship being stolen and an investigation being done. have not heard of anything since, but then again i have been to sick to play :sick: much.

Last edited:
Plus, shipboard automated security should also be a factor. Intruder detected? Deploy internal security turrets, for example, and sound the alarm to the ship's owner in addition to starport security (if docked at a place that has security).

This is all fantasy and projection which enabled kickstarters to feel positive towards investing in the project. Do you genuinely believe any of this gameplay is feasible without a backlash, where the ship theft is concerned. It would be a griefers paradise and very costly to the victim who might have engineered their ship to the max, should it be at risk.

And what if said ship is the player's first and only ship? Should this be stolen, does the player become stranded in a port/station?

All rubbish, guaranteed, because it simply won't be good design.

The Vivid dreaming is about the Guardian Dreams and where they want him to take the ship, not the ship theft itself

c.f the Codex entry about Jasmine Halsey's dreams of Guardian Planets which was the canon way we were supposed to know which systems to look for the Guardian ruins vs. using stars in a teaser trailer.

The more we interact with the Guardian Ruins the more they try to reach out to humanity and they do so by the dreams and visions of Jaques, Halsey and now Gan Romero

Last edited:
This is all fantasy and projection which enabled kickstarters to feel positive towards investing in the project. Do you genuinely believe any of this gameplay is feasible without a backlash, where the ship theft is concerned. It would be a griefers paradise and very costly to the victim who might have engineered their ship to the max, should it be at risk.

And what if said ship is the player's first and only ship? Should this be stolen, does the player become stranded in a port/station?

All rubbish, guaranteed, because it simply won't be good design.
Frivolous gameplay with diluted contextual relevance and corresponding consequences seems to be the MO of MMOs, this game included. Actually it's spilled into many singer player video games as well, but I digress.

I'd be perfectly fine both within the game and as a player of the game if there were no rebuys at all in the first place, having not lost a ship in the game since 2015, and making many times more than their cost since then, though likely still very modestly so compared to most long time players.

But then I grew up in a time when it was possible to lose games and learned to actually enjoy taking measures within the context of in-game progression to help ensure that I didn't.

Not something that's likely to change now, but perhaps some interesting food for thought and why this design philosophy for gameplay has seemed changed since the Kickstarter.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I think it's possible that David Braben has been less involved with his defining game for too long.

Ironically, the game Star Citizen may be failing because Chris Roberts, it's creator is too involved.

I've been suspecting that. Simply because if you had the amazing circumstance to order 100(tm) people to be building a game that you yourself went home and played x nights a week, you'd send it back a few times in the last years. Owner definitely isn't in the shop anymore. Its even more spooky where you see David Braben respond publicly when he does.. its like he's being lead around to places that only contain things he's going to want to hear.

I’d love to have a fire fight with a hostile player trying to steal my ship. Sounds intense and fun haha. Can you imaging having just activated the auto launch function on your ship only to have the alarms go off ship wide. You’d get out of your seat, equip a weapon and go hunting for said intruder. Than heres the confrontation where you find out they just wanted a free ride to the next station hahahaha. Of course worse case scenario you get killed and your ship stolen which would be funny in itself. Sure some people would be ed but I’d wager alot of funny stories could come out of it. Sounds like an awesome experience to me.

I'm honestly terrified if FD ventures out on a journey to make us walk around. All the potential firepits, just look at multicrew and wings, wich allready are far, far away from stable..
My humble opinion ofcourse. If it comes, I will not use it, as I don't use wings or multicrew.

MDH
If it is aimed at multiplayer i think it will be a mess... If it is with NPC's then it could work just fine imo

As you may know there is a ship theft story evolving on Galnet, I've heard people say what's the point?
Currently the story tells us a pilot steals a ship, it adds that he had been having vivid dreams before the 'theft'.

Now listen to David Braben and his 'vivid dream' I've bookmarked the the key moment (3:50) but is worth a watch from the beginning.

Nailed it!
I don't want other CMDR's to steal my ship but if this a hint then it's welcome. Still I prefer Atmospheric Planets first or together.

IMO IMO IMO IMO XD

Don't forget a good option if there is to be Space legs and "ship stealing" , some things imo should be implemented, standard software security, standard hard ware security (the ability to upgrade them) and.... most important IMO is when we hire a CREW(NPC) they can stand watch of our ship as we walk around port. :)

Example what if when docked I decided to Uninstall the THRUSTers (if it was possible) then someone goes to steal it and cant even take off LOLZZ XD

IMO IMO IMO IMO XD

Last edited:
Top Bottom