Ships Trading Ship Advice

Following a bit of R&R after my trip to Beagle Point, now ready to start doing more trading to push my rating and faction affinity.

Looking at a budget up to 300 million - reading around here and Reddit the Type 9 seems to be the all round favourite. Not got the Imperial rank yet for a Cutter. Any links or suggestions for an optimum build, passenger/cargo combo? Going to be operating largely in The Bubble so jump range not a huge issue, though I'll still get Farseer to give it a tune up. I'm at Founders World so access to modules not a problem.

Many thanks.

Personally I'd just get a Python and use that until I unlocked the Cutter (and could afford a proper build for it). Actually...that is exactly what I did.

If you have your heart set on a T9, you should tell folks what mode you play in. Solo/Private Group or Open will make a big difference in outfitting imho.

For solo only, I would build light to give it a decent jump range and forego any weapons whatsoever.
This build is what I'd use if I was only going to do very minimal engineering. Only the Thrusters and FSD are engineered:

If you also want to engineer the power plant you can go down one size to save some credits and squeeze a little more jump out of it:
I personally would also go with an A power distributor engineered for engine focus to give me more frequent boosts. Just a thing I like on all my ships (either engine focused or charge enhanced, depending on ship's role).

If you're not great at running and waking to get away, you should also fit a higher size shield and/or maybe engineer the shield and boosters up to at least G3 or so. T9 can be kinda slow in the "getting away" department.

Lastly, if you don't have the Guardian FSDB unlocked, you can swap it out for another cargo rack. ADC also, swap for whatever you want. I generally put collector limpet controller in that slot and carry around a dozen limpets so that I can drop in on HGE's along my trade routes....but I realize that's not the norm. Swap cargo for passenger modules as your needs/desires warrant. I don't personally ever do a combo of the two.

I'd also probably swap one of the shield boosters for a FS Wake Scanner...as I like to be able to scan a wake or two as I leave each station. Something to do in that period while moving out of mass lock and it nets engineering materials.

Last edited:
For access to lucrative outpost trade missions I'd go with Python but if you want some heavy metal ;) how about the T10 it's not going to have the capacity of the T9 but it is reasonably agile in normal space (like a pig in treacle in SC though) and can defend itself.

The Anaconda should be on your shortlist as it has decent cargo capacity, great range, decent firepower...............

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/typ...BhA2AWNhQKYEMDmAbJIQEYIEhTFA===&bn=T10 trader

Here's an Anaconda I put together from some spare modules even with undersized thrusters it works rather well as a multi-role trader

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/ana...oCmBDA5gG2SEcIEhTFA===&bn=Anaconda ICS Galaxy

I did my trading with a Python, most modules were class A, FSD boost zize 5, shield generator size 6, jump range 22 ly fully loaded, freight over 200 t. I also used it to bait pirates so it was fully armed, total cost is about 150.000.000 cr. As it is a medium ship you can take any mission and reach all stations.
I never used a T9 (or any other T), the one Jaggid Edje looks good as a full transporter. You should aim for 20 ly jumprange fully loaded (engineers and FSD booster).

Generally I like to add a detailed surface scanner to get some money (and explorer rank and because what else to put in the small module slots) and the FSA wake scanner for materials.
I only used a large ship (Imperial Cutter) for trading when I joined a trade CG.

For 300 MCr the Type-9 is by far and away the best trading option. It is even decently defensible if you outfit the medium hardpoints with beam turrets. If you can engineer the turrets with efficiency mod even better. This would be a good mildly engineered build based on just unlocking Felicity and the Dweller:

Some notes. If you can engineer the PD and even get the G3 efficiency mod on the beams you can fire those for a long time. Also, if you want to get into trading unlock prismatics as soon as you can as they really make the ship more defensible as well.

For 300 MCr the Type-9 is by far and away the best trading option. It is even decently defensible if you outfit the medium hardpoints with beam turrets. If you can engineer the turrets with efficiency mod even better. This would be a good mildly engineered build based on just unlocking Felicity and the Dweller:

Some notes. If you can engineer the PD and even get the G3 efficiency mod on the beams you can fire those for a long time. Also, if you want to get into trading unlock prismatics as soon as you can as they really make the ship more defensible as well.

What value is the PD for trading though? I can't even remember the last time I had one of the NPCs sent after me shoot a missile while my shields were up...and they never get my shields down. I'm trading in a Cutter now and fighting most of them and still can't recall seeing a missile ...ever...when just doing trade missions.

Prismatic shields are also totally overkill for NPCs on trade missions in Solo mode, unless you plan to regularly engage them (as in engagements one after the other)...and at that point you're better off with a ship that's better at combat than the T9, like an Anaconda or Cutter fitted with Biweave shields, imo. I get it, people like their Biweave's and the fact they take weeks to get access to makes folks want to use them...but as a recommendation, for solo mode play trading...it's just overkill.

Last edited:
In the end I went with the first T10 build, minus most of the weapons as I see trading as primarily a "run away screaming" activity. Need to make a few more mods, think a fuel scoop needs to go in as on my trip from Founders World to Deciat I was sweating the range a bit. I like the cockpit view, if anything better than the AspX though it handles like a sloth manoeuvring in system travel.

In the end I went with the first T10 build, minus most of the weapons as I see trading as primarily a "run away screaming" activity. Need to make a few more mods, think a fuel scoop needs to go in as on my trip from Founders World to Deciat I was sweating the range a bit. I like the cockpit view, if anything better than the AspX though it handles like a sloth manoeuvring in system travel.
Nice, I hope you enjoy trading in it!

I almost mentioned fuel scoop in my post, but seeing as I primarily trade without one left it out. You said you were an explorer for a while, so I figured you understood all about your options and trade offs when it comes to the scoop. I personally never use one when just doing trade missions because you really never need it. But when I am doing the engineering before starting regular use of the ship, I always fit one. I then swap a cargo rack into that slot once the engineering is done. Pretty much true of most of my ship designs, something goes in the fuel scoop slot once the engineering is done. Only exploration and long range passenger ships get scoops permanently.

What value is the PD for trading though?

Hatchbreaker limits! Keep a PD near your cargo hatch.

Prismatic shields are also totally overkill for NPCs on trade missions in Solo mode, unless you plan to regularly engage them (as in engagements one after the other)...and at that point you're better off with a ship that's better at combat than the T9.

Haulage missions spawn more deadly NPC's so Prismatics are very useful there (also the beam turrets). The class 5 prismatics are equal to the class 6 regular shields. Bi-weaves are good in HazRes or CZ's where you need to regen quickly in-between encounters. Prismatics are the go-to for traders as you have encounters less often but when you do get interdicted you can absorb more damage. Experience space trucker talking here.

The Type-10 is much more expensive to outfit than the Type-9 and carries maybe 60% of the cargo? The Type-9 is a much better trader especially for the OP's stated budget. The Cutter is even better but that takes time and is also extremely expensive.

Hatchbreaker limits! Keep a PD near your cargo hatch.

Haulage missions spawn more deadly NPC's so Prismatics are very useful there (also the beam turrets). The class 5 prismatics are equal to the class 6 regular shields. Bi-weaves are good in HazRes or CZ's where you need to regen quickly in-between encounters. Prismatics are the go-to for traders as you have encounters less often but when you do get interdicted you can absorb more damage. Experience space trucker talking here.

The Type-10 is much more expensive to outfit than the Type-9 and carries maybe 60% of the cargo? The Type-9 is a much better trader especially for the OP's stated budget. The Cutter is even better but that takes time and is also extremely expensive.

Your experience and mine are very different...neither Hatchbreaker limpets nor the strength of the enemies spawned are particularly frightening if all you're doing is turning tail and running, which is what the OP implied (and has since confirmed) is his plan. I can count on one hand the number of times in the last month that I even saw hatchbreaker limpets deployed and they ended up accomplishing nothing, without the need for PD.

I also haven't seen any NPC's strong enough to justify prismatic shields IF I were running away. I have earned most of my credits trading, doing haulage missions..I'm just not convinced there are some super-NPC's that the game has been holding back.

I do plan on eventually doing the grind for the Prismatic shields but I just can't agree that in solo mode doing trading they are at all needed. I want them for the fact I don't play in solo.

Now, if he planned to fight...that's a different story. Definitely need really good shields at that point.

Last edited:
I do plan on eventually doing the grind for the Prismatic shields but I just can't agree that in solo mode doing trading they are at all needed. I want them for the fact I don't play in solo.

Bulk trading you are right. NPC's interdicting you randomly doing bulk trading are usually very easy to deal with. You can also high-wake and if you do lose a few tons to hatch breakers its not the end of the world. But stacking haulage missions spawns more capable NPC's, and just running away isn't an option if you want to complete the mission. Also losing 1t means a failed mission.

Your experience and mine are very different...neither Hatchbreaker limpets nor the strength of the enemies spawned are particularly frightening if all you're doing is turning tail and running,

You cant outrun hatch breaking limpets in a T9
Actually you will have a hard time outrunning them in a Python too.
They are like guided missiles and go for 500m/s, but at least in a Python you have good chances to escape the interdiction unlike the T9.

Otherwise, my vote goes for a Python too. Best general purpose ship - medium pad and able to ferry 280t while still sporting a 3A shield and ADC

Bulk trading you are right. NPC's interdicting you randomly doing bulk trading are usually very easy to deal with. You can also high-wake and if you do lose a few tons to hatch breakers its not the end of the world. But stacking haulage missions spawns more capable NPC's, and just running away isn't an option if you want to complete the mission. Also losing 1t means a failed mission.
I do stack haulage missions, I've said that a few times already. I have never bulk traded, missions are more engaging. In my Cutter I'm stacking them up to 20 pretty regularly even....the chain interdictions gets ridiculous at that point.
The NPC's aren't all that capable at least not compared to what you can encounter in a CZ. I've also never lost a single ton of cargo.

I do agree that "just running away" isn't really an option with haulage missions seeing as they just keep coming. It's why I got a Cutter and fitted it to kill them. No PD on it though and BiWeave shields are doing splendidly.

Edit to add: Saw Northpin's post and I can see where the PD would be useful in a T9....it is difficult to beat the minigame for interdiction in one and if you can't outrun hatchbreakers in it, that would be a problem.

Actually kind of curious, how long does it take a hatchbreaker limpet to actually do its thing? I have had them deployed against me but have yet to have them actually accomplish anything so I am curious.

Last edited:
Hatchbreaking limpets go through shields.
I encountered Pirates using them only twice, but it was enough to make me fail some haulage missions :)
It was like 'hmm, let's show this dumbo who''s he messing with' and 1 minute later i was literally bleeding cargo...
The pirate died, but i lost some unrecoverable cargo

Hatchbreaking limpets go through shields.
I encountered Pirates using them only twice, but it was enough to make me fail some haulage missions :)
It was like 'hmm, let's show this dumbo who''s he messing with' and 1 minute later i was literally bleeding cargo...
The pirate died, but i lost some unrecoverable cargo

lol, that'd suck. I can't see wasting a slot for something that happens super rarely though...I'd rather fail a mission or two once every few months and have the slot be useful all the time than waste it on PD for that one-off that sometimes-rather-infrequently-might-happen.

I respect that other people would feel differently though. For the same reason that auto-insurance comes with all kinds of options. Some folks will pay a lot more just for a sense of security.

I do stack haulage missions, I've said that a few times already. I have never bulk traded, missions are more engaging. In my Cutter I'm stacking them up to 20 pretty regularly even....the chain interdictions gets ridiculous at that point.
The NPC's aren't all that capable at least not compared to what you can encounter in a CZ. I've also never lost a single ton of cargo.

I do agree that "just running away" isn't really an option with haulage missions seeing as they just keep coming. It's why I got a Cutter and fitted it to kill them. No PD on it though and BiWeave shields are doing splendidly.

Edit to add: Saw Northpin's post and I can see where the PD would be useful in a T9....it is difficult to beat the minigame for interdiction in one and if you can't outrun hatchbreakers in it, that would be a problem.

Actually kind of curious, how long does it take a hatchbreaker limpet to actually do its thing? I have had them deployed against me but have yet to have them actually accomplish anything so I am curious.
You should give bulk trading a go mate if you’ve not tried it before.

I think you’ll find it more engaging than you think, finding a good trade route is rewarding and provides a nice feeling of independence. If you’ve got a Cutter to play with then more power to you...

On the surface missions look more profitable. But you have no control over the mission boards and they’ll often give you a bad spin...

...meanwhile the bulk trader has already left the dock with his belly full.

I think a Cutter/T9 is still capable of competing with core mining when it comes to credits per hour, depending on the route and commodity traded of course. Its been a bit since I did freelance trading, I only use my Cutter for Powerplay duties at the moment.

You should give bulk trading a go mate if you’ve not tried it before.

I think you’ll find it more engaging than you think, finding a good trade route is rewarding and provides a nice feeling of independence. If you’ve got a Cutter to play with then more power to you...

On the surface missions look more profitable. But you have no control over the mission boards and they’ll often give you a bad spin...

...meanwhile the bulk trader has already left the dock with his belly full.

I think a Cutter/T9 is still capable of competing with core mining when it comes to credits per hour, depending on the route and commodity traded of course. Its been a bit since I did freelance trading, I only use my Cutter for Powerplay duties at the moment.

Thanks! I probably will at some point.

Right now I dabble in it a little, insofar as I always fill up my hold for each mission destination with "whatever else is at hand" so that I go with a full hold even if the mission cargos don't fill it up. That's actually why I find running missions so engaging. Stacking multiple missions, adding in destination "Source and acquire" on top of the delivery requests, plotting my route for deliveries and acquisitions, and determining what else can "fill the hold" to maximize profit each stop is fun for me.

It's the randomness of what missions are actually available that make all of the above engaging, and why I haven't really done pure bulk trading. With bulk trading it just seems you figure out your route and what to trade and then it becomes just routine whereas with missions I have to re-figure all of that stuff every stop every time and that keeps me engaged.

I also like the enemies the missions send after me, which is why my cutter is heavily armed. :devilish:

Top Bottom