Having trouble finding void opal hotspots!!!

Ok so i googled it. And it said eddb. Search for pristine icy rings.

I have been to 4 locations now. 5 if you want to include the common.

First 2 i found plenty of temp diamonds. Common had other stuff at it. The last 2. Have jack e!!! I mean have completely nothing!!!

So i need help here. Where can i bloodywell go to get these things!!! Really es me off that frontier are truely messing up with no source abilities!!!

I don't understand what you mean by 'no source abilities'

As for VOs... well, they're very rare, hence the high value. If you've scanned four locations (I'm assuming you've DSSed the rings?), then maybe try a few dozen more potential sites - there are not going to be VOs at every pristine Icy ring, that would be the opposite of rare. Also, I've seen good locations posted on the forums. Did you try searching for those posts?

eddb.io, search for bodies with ice rings, system reserve pristine (preferably but not mandatory), reference system (the one you are in)
make sure you have a DSS with you because it is needed to probe the rings and it is also needed for future visits at the same site since you will not see the hotspots otherwise

make sure you have a DSS with you because it is needed to probe the rings and it is also needed for future visits at the same site since you will not see the hotspots otherwise

Definitely have the DSS to probe rings to discover the hot-spots! I was tripping over Void Opal hot spots all the time outside of the bubble, maybe it is worth having a trip out?

I have a favourite spot in a non-bubble location, and I don’t have to re-scan the rings every time I go back though - when I return, the rings always have the same hot-spots marked out as I approach, but I am flying in analysis mode to see them.

Definitely have the DSS to probe rings to discover the hot-spots! I was tripping over Void Opal hot spots all the time outside of the bubble, maybe it is worth having a trip out?

I have a favourite spot in a non-bubble location, and I don’t have to re-scan the rings every time I go back though - when I return, the rings always have the same hot-spots marked out as I approach, but I am flying in analysis mode to see them.
You don’t have to re-scan the rings, but you do have to keep the DSS onboard your ship if you want to continue seeing the hotspots...

That said, I’m still not using the DSS to find hotspots when core mining. I just select the nearest ice ring and drop right in to get to work.

Yesterday’s result was 4 diamond roids and 2 vo roids.

To me, it’s more important to find a system with a good selling price for your cargo. Once this is done I just find the nearest ice ring to the station. I’m starting to suspect others are over complicating it.

Thank you to everyone. After several places. One did check out for 74 voids. Netting me over 100mil.

Ive seen people say a hrs worth of work. Truth is. It took me 3 hrs to find a void opal hotspot. And about 2 hrs to get the 74. Thats 5 hrs of work.

But as the elitest of this game would likely say. "Git good"... and all i would have to say to that is... RNG sucks...

I am convinced a lot of the “100 mil in an hour” stories are either very lucky or have a rosy view of the time taken :D

There is no doubt it is a very profitable and fun exercise, but I spent 3 hours gaining just over 87 mil last night via Opal mining. RNG can be cruel, I think!

I am convinced a lot of the “100 mil in an hour” stories are either very lucky or have a rosy view of the time taken :D

There is no doubt it is a very profitable and fun exercise, but I spent 3 hours gaining just over 87 mil last night via Opal mining. RNG can be cruel, I think!

Yes i completely agree
Maybe 4 months ago it was like that and frontier decided to nerf it. They like to nerf things when us players decide to try and make the money and lessen the grind... 1 billion for cutters and corvettes is a lot of work. Months of gameplay...

Anyways. Is what it is.

Use a smaller ship like a DB scout or viper4 with 16 cargo ish and a big hopper, 1 good core fills enough for 30 mill and takes maybe 2 minutes to find 10 minutes to mine. You'll get better at spotting the right rocks to blow up :) but it will ruin part of your game seeing as you'll never need to make credits again, 600mill will keep a vulture going for a long time lol

Use a smaller ship like a DB scout or viper4 with 16 cargo ish and a big hopper, 1 good core fills enough for 30 mill and takes maybe 2 minutes to find 10 minutes to mine. You'll get better at spotting the right rocks to blow up :) but it will ruin part of your game seeing as you'll never need to make credits again, 600mill will keep a vulture going for a long time lol
I use a aspx. Its more efficient than the dbx. And viper4s are fighters. Not miners or transport ships.

As for credits... i want to have ships doing assigned roles. 600mil wont get you a Corvette or cutter fully upgraded. Bother are between 800mil to 1.6 bil. Thats not to add the fact more ships and ground units are to come and could be expensive too.

Yeah I just prefer the smaller faster ships, if I wanted to fly bricks I would fire kerbal back up I loved making stations and bases out of the largest fuel tanks and getting them to launch :) I don't like the limpets so I collect it all manually, ill have to try those asp's i keep hearing they are good and I see them all over. Well if ya ever need a small mining ships help just ask if ya see me on. I dont need anymore credits yet but I wouldnt mind helping anyone who does.

Yeah I just prefer the smaller faster ships, if I wanted to fly bricks I would fire kerbal back up I loved making stations and bases out of the largest fuel tanks and getting them to launch :) I don't like the limpets so I collect it all manually, ill have to try those asp's i keep hearing they are good and I see them all over. Well if ya ever need a small mining ships help just ask if ya see me on. I dont need anymore credits yet but I wouldnt mind helping anyone who does.
Yes the aspx is a solid multi purpose ship. From getting from A to B. To combat. To trading and mining and exploration. Mine cost me 27mil. And has made me 200mil.

As of late ive been winging up with people. And we have been running type 9s. And having alot of fun. Dont make alot of money fast. But its good fun and helps us rank up fast.

Ill admit im a medium ship person. But sometimes you need to lower your standards to either make the money or have fun. Type 9 is a brick. Aspx. Is not. And i dont really miss my viper4. But i keep it cause it was my BH fighter back in the day. With that said. Alot still dog fight in vultures still

I use a aspx. Its more efficient than the dbx. And viper4s are fighters. Not miners or transport ships.
The ships aren’t that black and white...

The Viper4 makes an excellent little passenger ship and can move cargo just as well as a Cobra3. The Orca is a passenger ship but it’s awesome for core mining...

Ironically, the ships that should be good at mining, the T6 and T7, aren’t even capable of doing it.

Ive seen people say a hrs worth of work. Truth is. It took me 3 hrs to find a void opal hotspot. And about 2 hrs to get the 74. Thats 5 hrs of work.

The people that say 100 million+ for "1 hours work" are choosing to completely ignore the time needed for setup (finding a good ring, traveling there, determining best sell markets and traveling to said market, etc.). They are also ignoring the time invested initially to get good at identifying which asteroids are likely to have Void opals so you don't waste time prospecting ones that just won't have them (i.e. the mining experience factor).

In fairness to their choice to ignore some of the time investment, once you find a good spot you can continue to work out of it going forward and at that point 100m+ an hour is accurate (as long as pure RNG doesn't mess with you), at least until a good market to sell gets terribly far away.

Last edited:
The ships aren’t that black and white...

The Viper4 makes an excellent little passenger ship and can move cargo just as well as a Cobra3. The Orca is a passenger ship but it’s awesome for core mining...

Ironically, the ships that should be good at mining, the T6 and T7, aren’t even capable of doing it.
Type 6 and type 7 are good miners for basic mining. They can not core mine as frontier are idiots and forgot that they only have small slots.

Which makes the type 7 the most impractical ship in the game. Making it transport heavy and semi passenger heavy.

Viper 4 is multi purpose. That is very true. But its limited. The cobra beats it in passengers and cargo. Hell even mining and core mining with cobra 3 beats it. Aspx beats them both.

I mean we can debate this all day long. But im sure some people will say that the aspx is a really good all rounder. And a upgrade from the cobra. And you will have many who firmly believe that you dont need to upgrade. In which case all i have to say is. "To which meets our own". Cant go wrong with any of these ships... except the type 7... waste of money.

Type 6 and type 7 are good miners for basic mining. They can not core mine as frontier are idiots and forgot that they only have small slots.

Which makes the type 7 the most impractical ship in the game. Making it transport heavy and semi passenger heavy.

Viper 4 is multi purpose. That is very true. But its limited. The cobra beats it in passengers and cargo. Hell even mining and core mining with cobra 3 beats it. Aspx beats them both.

I mean we can debate this all day long. But im sure some people will say that the aspx is a really good all rounder. And a upgrade from the cobra. And you will have many who firmly believe that you dont need to upgrade. In which case all i have to say is. "To which meets our own". Cant go wrong with any of these ships... except the type 7... waste of money.
Hey!! You better stop dissing the T7 man!!

-shakes fist-

😆

Agreed, everyone’s got their own fav ships in this game. It’s one of the best things about it!

Ok so i googled it. And it said eddb. Search for pristine icy rings.

I have been to 4 locations now. 5 if you want to include the common.

First 2 i found plenty of temp diamonds. Common had other stuff at it. The last 2. Have jack poopooe!!! I mean have completely nothing!!!

So i need help here. Where can i bloodywell go to get these things!!! Really ****es me off that frontier are truely messing up with no source abilities!!!

Frontier haven't screwed anything up with VO mining that i'm aware of. I've been happily mining away for a few weeks now and not had any issues. You just need an icy ring, doesn't even have to be pristine. I'm currently mining one ring that's half rocky, half icy. Make sure you have the best tools on board, 'A' rated pulse wave scanner etc, and it will all fall into place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since mention has been made of it... The Viper MkIV has very good lateral / vertical thrusters, especially when engineered; I have had a huge amount of fun and success with it as a bounty hunter :) Decked out with two beams and two frag cannons, it is a vicious little thing, and I’ve done no engineering on the weapons yet either!

Nothing to do with Void Opals, sorry... as you were ;) :D

People say the Clipper is great for core mining, but the speed is, to me, not worth that awful, awful seismic charge placement. You can't get a reticle going without a lot of trial and error.

There are loads out there just have to be patient. I even found one just a jump away from a top buying market I must have about 60 book marked in the bubble alone . I struggled at first with deep core then like riding a bike it all clicked together only advice I can give and it's more to do with when you have collected them I always either just drop in and don't mine or run even a part load back to the station as you can guarantee if you shut the game down and come back later there will be loads of pirates after your goodies .especially if you run an unarmed ship like I do . Which is an asp EX .

Top Bottom