Ethics in a Literal Video Game

What rules do you hold yourself to in Elite Dangerous?

I'll start:
  • No trade in majority-illegal commodities like narcotics, slaves, etc. (stuff like animal meat or liquor is fair game)
  • No assault on Clean ships
  • Answer all detected distress calls to the best of your ability
  • Always donate to factions in Outbreak or Famine, regardless of their own ethical status
  • Don't be a jerk
'None' isn't an acceptable answer, because the Universal Rule is 'do what I find fun'.

1) Wrong
2) Meh, unless there is a reason
3) Nope
4) Nope
5) Sure, but that is subjective

I prefer things that are, in practise, very disrespectful - namely, rolling all over what is basically the mass grave of hundreds of miners killed in a corporate experiment (Dav's Hope) and rolling around the crash site of a tragic icon, downloading data from his last words (Jameson's Crash Site).
But... Wasn't Jameson a mass murderer? :unsure:

I see Ram Tah pays you well
Damn, I thought that was erased from the record... And that money was for some guardian data that was just lying around... Unguarded like... Look, you can't blame me for some minor mistakes in my misspent youth... I'm a different person now and I have the paperwork to prove it...

Tj, you told me that the witness protection programme would prevent this sort of thing coming out...

anyone else getting this?

Attachments

• tinterf.JPG
    tinterf.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 62
What rules do you hold yourself to in Elite Dangerous?

I'll start:
  • No trade in majority-illegal commodities like narcotics, slaves, etc. (stuff like animal meat or liquor is fair game)
  • No assault on Clean ships
  • Answer all detected distress calls to the best of your ability
  • Always donate to factions in Outbreak or Famine, regardless of their own ethical status
  • Don't be a jerk
'None' isn't an acceptable answer, because the Universal Rule is 'do what I find fun'.
1. Do nothing that you don't like doing
2. Don't shoot authority ships because the repercussions aren't worth the gain
3. Don't ally with the pirate factions, they don't have good missions anyhow
4. Remember 1.

Mine are that murdering clean ships is to be avoided, it's important to help stations affected by thargoid attacks and missions can not be abandoned (technical issues aside). As for what any faction puts in their cargo containers or wants brought back to the station, thats just supply and demand.

Number one does get a bit hazy after a few drinks and a high paying mission comes up though. Also, lets not talk about what goes on in anarchy nav beacons.

I’m more PvP focused than anything, so I’ll go on and leave my general ROE type of stuff here, should anyone wanna look at it.

I don’t destroy pilots who aren’t on quite on my level, unless they’ve agreed to go til the death, or they’re real mouthy and require a spanking.

I might take a few potshots at noobs on occasion, but I never kill them. Large ships are the exception. Condas, vettes, Cutters— they’re getting it no matter what.

All shieldless traders get shot at, regardless of rank, no exceptions. Strangely enough, I don’t often engage Lakon T ships so long as they’re shielded.

Wanted or not, I don’t often shoot at players who are retreating, even if they are the aggressor. I could have waaaaay more kills under my belt, but I generally break off attack unless it’s a big wing fight. Might reconsider if the bounty is excessive.

Nobody tells me where I can and cannot go— If I wander into a faction’s territory, they can either be hospitable, or they can catch these hands.

I’m independent, but generally fight for the ‘home team’ by default. I’m very rarely part of an invading force.

I don’t BGS, unless it’s to help friends in their home systems.

I may completely abandon most of these rules without warning, but this is generally how I operate.

For general, non-PvP stuff:
I’ll haul just about anything if it pays well, legal or not. I avoid slaves, but will smuggle/steal everything else.

I don’t shoot at ‘goids.

I always recover Escape pods if I am able.

I always respond to questions from rookies as accurately as I can, and if I don’t know the answer, I’ll ask someone who does.

I’m sure I’m forgetting things, but that’s mostly it.

Mine are that murdering clean ships is to be avoided, it's important to help stations affected by thargoid attacks and missions can not be abandoned (technical issues aside). As for what any faction puts in their cargo containers or wants brought back to the station, thats just supply and demand.

Number one does get a bit hazy after a few drinks and a high paying mission comes up though. Also, lets not talk about what goes on in anarchy nav beacons.
Anarchy nav beacons obscure whether they're clean or not, so I'm pretty sure that's not your fault. Probably.

Top Bottom