Ethics in a Literal Video Game

Your feelings of guilt are commendable.
However the transgressions on your file remain unchanged. :unsure:

I'm with the Pilot's Federation. Part of the membership is full exoneration for those pesky "other peoples" laws being broken. And I didn't actually break any laws; the slaves weren't illegal where I got them, nor where I brought them. Plus they could finally wear clothes and eat meat instead of having to work 24 hours down mill and drink sulphuric acid.

My ethics are that I'm one of the good guys, but only as defined by Empire rules.

I am more than fine dealing in "illegal" goods of false governments who seek to oppress their populace by depriving them of such commodities.
I do not attack "clean" targets except those which my allies identify as legitimate targets trying to hide by flying a clean ship. This particularly holds true if said allies offer to pay me well enough.
I help in emergencies, but only those who deserve the help and are willing to pay for it. Fuel and ship upkeep costs credits, after all...if I worked for free I'd soon be one of the folks needing rescue.
I am always polite, friendly, and helpful....unless someone ticks me off. That's what hardpoints are for.
I saw 'ethics' and 'empire' and got confused.o_O

I saw 'ethics' and 'empire' and got confused.o_O

Please, at least we have honor and integrity. The federation pretends to have ethics, all while their laws prop up and make wealthy the large underbelly of their policies, the criminals and black marketeers of Federation space. Federation is nothing but a kleptocracy.

And the alliance, they certainly can't talk about ethics, considering their current president bought the election.

Please, at least we have honor and integrity. The federation pretends to have ethics, all while their laws prop up and make wealthy the large underbelly of their policies, the criminals and black marketeers of Federation space. Federation is nothing but a kleptocracy.

And the alliance, they certainly can't talk about ethics, considering their current president bought the election.
In-character, my CMDR dislikes the Imperials because they make the aristocracy look bad (she's from an Independent aristocratic family, but her mother was a wealthy Federal entrepeneur, so the bias is real).

OOC, the Imperials have the best ships in the game. Except my precious 'Vette <3

Forgot to mention, I do NOT support slavery. I've only traded in slaves one time, and it was an accident. I'd have freed them if the game gave me a way to do it....

That's the one thing about the Empire I do not support.

Forgot to mention, I do NOT support slavery. I've only traded in slaves one time, and it was an accident. I'd have freed them if the game gave me a way to do it....

That's the one thing about the Empire I do not support.
I think the worst thing about Elite is that freeing slaves gives them even less hope than it would here. The galaxy is so vast that the chances of finding their way back to whatever they had before their internment is... worryingly low.
I do think the ability to turn over illegal commodities to the authorities should be implemented, though.

I do think the ability to turn over illegal commodities to the authorities should be implemented, though.
The first time I had illegal goods on board this is what I wanted to do...only to find out it wouldn't let me.

My IRL moral and ethical compasses are strong enough that my first instinct, even in a video game, is to "do the right thing."

The first time I had illegal goods on board this is what I wanted to do...only to find out it wouldn't let me.

My IRL moral and ethical compasses are strong enough that my first instinct, even in a video game, is to "do the right thing."

I think the best thing about Oolite was that it let me do the right thing, by installing mods that let me do the right thing ;p

What rules do you hold yourself to in Elite Dangerous?

I'll start:
  • No trade in majority-illegal commodities like narcotics, slaves, etc. (stuff like animal meat or liquor is fair game)
  • No assault on Clean ships
  • Answer all detected distress calls to the best of your ability
  • Always donate to factions in Outbreak or Famine, regardless of their own ethical status
  • Don't be a jerk
'None' isn't an acceptable answer, because the Universal Rule is 'do what I find fun'.
I try to role play the good guy in Elite and agree with your first two ideals. This is basically to try and escape, my sociolpathic serial killer, real life existence. That said; I do feed humans (escape pods and Imps) to the Thargoids; but that is just to keep them happy.

I try to role play the good guy in Elite and agree with your first two ideals. This is basically to try and escape, my sociolpathic serial killer, real life existence. That said; I do feed humans (escape pods and Imps) to the Thargoids; but that is just to keep them happy.
This dilemma between hot alien men and human sacrifice is what causes wars. I'm so confused right now.

Top Bottom