Go home radar, you are drunk!

I jump into this system, autoscan discovers 2 stars. i look at the radar and see 2 celestial bodies, like expected.

548155832202135e6.png

then i turn towards the second star after scooping the main ...

54815583222450952.png

how is that on my radar? o_O

here is the next system. looks like its not far away, a bit above me

5481558322894b78d.png

well, it isn't

54815583229460f80.png

is this how it supposed to be? 🤨

Last edited:
Sensor Disc Changes:
While travelling in super cruise the sensor disc operation changes slightly. The scale automatically adjusts to show stars and planets within a 2 minute time horizon from your ship, based on the maximum speed your ship could currently achieve after all stellar body proximity impediments are taken into account.

Ships are automatically visible within a 40 second time horizon, based on the fastest ship’s speed. When you lock a vessel into your ship’s targeting computer, the scale of the sensor disc automatically changes so that the target is approximately half way between the centre point of the disc and the outer edge, to maximise legibility.

p70

i really don't need to see a star 100k Ls away on my scanner like if it was right near me. i searched this topic and it seems some Dev said that in supercruise it's always logarithmic.

i think this needs adjustment

i really don't need to see a star 100k Ls away on my scanner like if it was right near me. i searched this topic and it seems some Dev said that in supercruise it's always logarithmic.

i think this needs adjustment

Watch your sensor display as you select (target) different objects and ships - you will see the scale changes as the object distance and your speed do - the premise is that the selected object is shown at a particular spacing (I forget the actual figure).

It's not logaritmic distance IMO. It's temporal. On the pic you're between two stars in deep space. What's your full throttle speed at that point? No gravity around? 150c already? ETA full throttle was 2 min, less?

Log/linear is a setting.

Yes but @M4st0d0n is correct, unless you set the range manually it automatically scales to a set time (I think 2 min is correct) to the targeted / selected object / ship for full-range (or is it per ring). In the OP's images though I don't think anything is selected so I am not sure what the scaling would be in that case.

Yes but @M4st0d0n is correct, unless you set the range manually it automatically scales to a set time (I think 2 min is correct) to the targeted / selected object / ship for full-range (or is it per ring). In the OP's images though I don't think anything is selected so I am not sure what the scaling would be in that case.

I quoted the manual above, detailing that exact aspect.
;)

M4st0d0n made it sound like it's either/or, but they are essentially unrelated.
It's log OR linear, AND temporal.

It's not logaritmic distance IMO. It's temporal. On the pic you're between two stars in deep space. What's your full throttle speed at that point? No gravity around? 150c already? ETA full throttle was 2 min, less?

these images were taken after arriving into the system and scooping the main star and flying away just so far so i don't take heat damage anymore. the target was the next system in a plotted route. my speed was 0% throttle, 30km/s.

i'm just confused why the second star needs to be on the scanner (or radar) if it's that far away. it also makes me question the purpose of different grade and rating sensors. it just seems like a mess to me and i personally would prefer it if the radar would only show anything within an actual sensor range. i just don't see the usefulness of something showing up on the scanner (like if it was close by) that is really far away.

EDIT: i guess i understand why it needs to scale, but wouldn't it make more sense to calculate it from your actual speed and not some calculated maximum speed?

Last edited:
here is another example why it is so confusing.

54815583989746938.png

3 bodies. it totally looks like the middle one (it's a high metal content world) and the top one (a star) are more or less the same distance from me. it actually looks like the top one is even closer than the middle one. (unless i suffer from some kind of sight problem)

548155839900105f6.png

how is this useful information?

it also makes me question the purpose of different grade and rating sensors.

That's for a different function entirely; resolving contacts in real space, not supercruise.

If the scale didn't change you wouldn't be able to distinguish relative distances most of the time.

here is another example why it is so confusing.

54815583989746938.png

3 bodies. it totally looks like the middle one (it's a high metal content world) and the top one (a star) are more or less the same distance from me. it actually looks like the top one is even closer than the middle one. (unless i suffer from some kind of sight problem)

548155839900105f6.png

how is this useful information?

Count the rings from your position.
The bottom one is much further.

Are you positive?
I don't see how that is possible.
Star A and body A1 should be the top and middle bodies, respectively.
Unless you've moved between those two shots.

definitely. as i arrived, i scooped the star going under it, thats why it's behind me and a bit above

Top Bottom