Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Do you know what the likelihood of being murdered is?
Do you know how likely it is that a murderer will be apprehended?
Do you know what process is involved in prosecuting a murderer?
Do you know what happens to convicted murderers?
Do you feel relatively safe living in a society with the current murder rate?

All this information, and more, IS available to you so that you can assess how well the police and justice system deal with murderers and then form an opinion about whether or not you're happy about the risks associated with murder in your society.

You see the analogy, right?

I tried, but no, I’m not seeing the analogy here. I suspect you might be over-analyzing, since we have no access to statistics regarding how many people are cheating, or something along those lines, which is skating around the point I’m trying to make here - that point being regardless of what the rules are, be they the rules of the game or the rules of life, there are always those who not only believe they need not follow them, but act on this belief.

This isn’t because the rules have failed, or were in some manner vague or lacking, but because someone has opted to act in violation of them, for whatever justification they’ve told themselves - anything from “I’m too wealthy and important for this” to “Someone who shared a characteristic with an ancestor of yours oppressed someone who shared a characteristic with an ancestor of mine, so I’m entitled...”

These are People Problems.

"Don't cheat. Well, that kinda cheating I mean specifically." :p

Seriously though: don't mean this as a jab to you. It is just that while I personally find all cheating sad, the whole Righteous Crusade Against Cheaters by prominent PvP players is kinda comical when you see how selective they mean that.

I responded to this yesterday and my reply has been deleted.

Whats the point on taking part in this thread or any other if what you say gets erased.

Pointless.

i wonder what else vanished over night.

These are People Problems.
Yes, they are People Problems. But they are much worse if there is no visible punishment.

If you can just shoot people that annoy you, to ensure they never do so again, with very little to no risk of consequence, who wouldn't use that "solution" (morality aside)?

But since there are very visible and almost certain consequences, relatively speaking, very very few people take that approach.

Ditto with cheating. The incentive is obvious. The more moral people resist, the less moral ones embrace. For the latter, the only reason not to would be if there was not only a high chance of getting caught, but also of being punished. And the only way you'd know is if that was publicised.

That was, I believe, the point @Stealthie was making.

No it isn't.
Let's see...
When they'll steal your car in Berlin and it'll never be found, I'll tell you that the police is obviously doing something because every 9th is found again...
First you are comparing Frontiers efforts to fight cheats to the police searching for stolen cars. The police doesn't search for stolen cars, if they stumble upon it by accident they'll return it to the owner but they don't investigate. Frontier however actively added anti cheat tools to the game and searches for cheaters and bans them. That's what they've done in the past, which clearly was my point. So the situation isn't comparable at all.
Next you suggest that only 1 out of 9 cheaters get caught by FDEV over their lifetime or the lifetime of the game which is a number you just made up since no facts are available.

That's a flawed analogy, just like I said.

The problem is

Fdev has directly posted that they do catch and punish cheaters.
We have reports from outside sources that say cheats have been caught and punished.

So it is clear that something is being done, at what point is it enough to call off the pitchforks?
Can/should more be done, most likely.
Is more being done than we can see (or even be allowed to see) certainly.

If too much information is given that in and of itself gives the hackers/cheaters more ways to cheat.

Yes, they are People Problems. But they are much worse if there is no visible punishment.

If you can just shoot people that annoy you, to ensure they never do so again, with very little to no risk of consequence, who wouldn't use that "solution" (morality aside)?

But since there are very visible and almost certain consequences, relatively speaking, very very few people take that approach.

Ditto with cheating. The incentive is obvious. The more moral people resist, the less moral ones embrace. For the latter, the only reason not to would be if there was not only a high chance of getting caught, but also of being punished. And the only way you'd know is if that was publicised.

That was, I believe, the point @Stealthie was making.

What's the viability of going the vigilante route?

We have the names of people using these chests, yes? What groups do they run with? What assets in game might they value? How can we act against them and hold them accountable?

Why wait for FDEV if we don't have to?

What's the viability of going the vigilante route?

We have the names of people using these chests, yes? What groups do they run with? What assets in game might they value? How can we act against them and hold them accountable?

Why wait for FDEV if we don't have to?
They can just cheat. You can't. They win.

What about the cash for credits website. It's a kind of gold farming where your whole account is handed over to a third party who grinds for you millions of credits for a cash sum. That should also be fairly obvious. It automatically breaks the Eula to. Reported but Still going on. They even post feedback so you can partially see their email Address.

So suddenly every one can have a rated anacondas. But then what. You never earned them so didn't gain the skill and knowledge that goes with it. Its like drugs do you have to go back to the supplier for more? This obviously must have a impact on game balance.

That's absolute garbage. Period. Dot.

This community has enough talent and intelligence to hand them their butts no matter what they try.
You assume they care about assets. If I were cheating I'd just be flying around invincible having fun, not running the BGS.

So much high, that FDev refused this approach once and forever.
They sold more than 3 millions of game copies so far. Even if just 10% of players are still playing actually - this means kind of up to 300,000 players per day (at least on weekends).
Now, assuming that these players are mainly from 2-3 main timezones, and play each one plays up to 2 hours within 6 hrs window in his timezone, that will mean about 50,000 concurrent players.
Now, each player performs well, let's say 2 actions per second on the average in combat zone - like fire and motion.
So, FDev would need to upkeep servers farm, capable of processing 100,000 requests per second 24/7. And not just log them, but analyze them intelligently on the fly in search of evidences of cheating.
How much would it cost? Is there any chance FDev will be ready to spend all those real money to just decrease cheating in digital videogame?
I don't think so! IF I owned the company, my question to any and all "Salter's" would be: "What part of the titles word "Dangerous" do you not understand.

Besides the supposed cheating aspect everyone is talking about, I'd imagine that if one can access and edit the code. Then one can alter the various number of materials need to engineer also.

Hence the reason PC's will NEVER be allowed to cross play with consoles.

You assume they care about assets. If I were cheating I'd just be flying around invincible having fun, not running the BGS.

Everyone cares about something. Find out what and gut it like a pig. Ask me how I know? Been doing this in game for going on three years.

Alternatively, one can always stick their head back in the hole of naysaying.

More fun to try though, I bet.

Everyone cares about something. Find out what and gut it like a pig. Ask me how I know? Been doing this in game for going on three years.

Alternatively, one can always stick their head back in the hole of naysaying.

More fun to try though, I bet.

I'm pretty sure they care about being able to play the game. They need to be banned.

If you somehow find a way to hit them where it hurts, though, then it would legit be an epic gamer moment.

I'm pretty sure they care about being able to play the game. They need to be banned.

If you somehow find a way to hit them where it hurts, though, then it would legit be an epic gamer moment.

If any of the folks who blew this story open want to chat I'm not a hard person to find.

If any of the folks who blew this story open want to chat I'm not a hard person to find.

I'm just going to say, I'm pretty sure they can't hack the physics engine. Barricade them in a station with Beluga Liners for long enough and they'll get tired of the explosions eventually.

Let's see...

First you are comparing Frontiers efforts to fight cheats to the police searching for stolen cars. The police doesn't search for stolen cars, if they stumble upon it by accident they'll return it to the owner but they don't investigate. Frontier however actively added anti cheat tools to the game and searches for cheaters and bans them. That's what they've done in the past, which clearly was my point. So the situation isn't comparable at all.
Next you suggest that only 1 out of 9 cheaters get caught by FDEV over their lifetime or the lifetime of the game which is a number you just made up since no facts are available.

That's a flawed analogy, just like I said.
The police doesn't search for stolen cars, but they stumble upon them by accident? O rly? How can police stumble upon stolen cars by accident? Must be while they're looking for stolen bicycles... ;)
Since 2014 German BKA intensified its efforts and developed a national project to fight motor vehicle theft so the do actively search for stolen cars.
I didn't suggest anything regarding FD's success rate, but you're completely missing the point. (BTW I firmly believe that German police does more about stolen cars that FD does about hackers, but that's just my assumption. And Germany's success rate on the national level is 1 in 4, in Berlin it's 1 in 9, which is still better than in some other countries, but I digress.)

I wanted you to try to change your angle and imagine yourself being at the receiving end of an IRL injustice and put yourself in a familiar situation that might happen to you. I am 100% sure that you wouldn't just say "Oh well, I'm sure they do their best."

I did not get that from your analagy at all midian.
It could be a language barrier though.

And (in my case you would be wrong) if the police (horrible analagy) told me they were actively looking for my car but were not able to find it, I would accept that, after all I have no proof they are not "doing their best" I would not be happy but I certainly would not be calling them liars or being belligerent.

The car/police analogy is flawed at best, if you are just asking people to look at it from the other side, just ask.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom