The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
With a week to go until the Forbes article is released I wonder how CIG will handle it? Will they risk a statement from the main man? Or will they gag him and tie him to a chair?
Will Piers Morgan be shouting at Montoya via satellite link up?
Or will it just pass by,just considered as “gaming news”.
What's there to expect? Is there some new info that goes in print?

Is it me or, unlike previous drama bombs were welcomed by a loud vocal torrent of anger (both from CIG and faithful), for this one the watchword sounds like "keep low profile, let the storm pass peacfully" hoping it won't do too much wave?
I think everyones aware this has the potential to go really badly. This is one disgruntled mum away from CBS.

I am still sceptic towards this aside of roleplay. You allow players to insert any kind of reward (aside of the friends you made on the way) into this and it becomes a snake box full of bugs, exploits and Chinese gold farmers; and it will probably need at least one (probably more) full-time devs to keep looking at it all the time.

Except players would not be able to insert the reward - the game would do that.

Everything would be sold and traded within the regular market, not player to player trading.

It would be no different than finding a few cargo crates on a planet but instead of picking them up you save the coordinates and sell them for a fixed price depending on quality, range from the bubble and so on and so on.

The forbes article paints a different picture. It hardly goes into gameplay, bugs and gamer details but covers mostly the financial side of things and by painting a rather grim one this article will likely keep future investors at bay. And after the 46 million dollar injection last year we can probably infer that the whales alone dont manage to keep CIG afloat anymore.

There is still plenty of things that CIG could do to amass more wealth before they go belly up.

• There is plenty of space within their assets to take loans
  • They can gradually reduce personnel they do not need as production continues
  • As long as they are in control over 51% of the company they can sell rights to others in order to garner more investors
  • They can most likely sell (and they will) more ships before the end of 2020

But yea, even whales have their limits and every market has a limit as well so sooner or later they will have to deliver...something.

There is still plenty of things that CIG could do to amass more wealth before they go belly up.

• As long as they are in control over 51% of the company they can sell rights to others in order to garner more investors
But yea, even whales have their limits and every market has a limit as well so sooner or later they will have to deliver...something.

You really think so?

The last loan they took forced them to provide the whole IP as collateral for a measly million so banks probably wont be too interested to helping them out in the future. Even tho they tout to have 500 people working for them I doubt very much that a lot of those (if that number is even correct) are currently working on the game itself regarding the current progress rate (tho it has improved compared to 2017 and 2018)...go slower....die faster.

Yeah depending on how low they sell addition % of their company thats a window. Also more ship sales will bring in more cash but it seems that the usual gold fountain which was ship sales in the past has also dried up some. Lots of people state that they refuse to give more money until they receive more results. As that is something that CIG is doing very badly with since 2013 I dont think ship sales will help them all that much.

And of course the more they fight the more obvious the death throes will become to the general public. I m awaiting more leaks or disgruntled shills who are not paid anymore to provide more dama as we go.

Except players would not be able to insert the reward - the game would do that.

Everything would be sold and traded within the regular market, not player to player trading.

It would be no different than finding a few cargo crates on a planet but instead of picking them up you save the coordinates and sell them for a fixed price depending on quality, range from the bubble and so on and so on.
Yeah, that highlighted part sounds like a point at which I'd look at it and nope'd the heck away.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

About more loans. Not sure it would be that simple. When a company goes belly up, unless exception usually debt has first claims to the company assets, and only then equity holders (such as the Calder´s). Also, loans interests would eat into any potential returns due to investors. I would asume that the Calders have been smart enough to add some additional clauses to prevent that (or at the very least to have some say about loan decisions). If they do exist such claim order conditions would in turn need to be made known to any debt issuing entity, bank etc before being able to be considered for a loan.

About personnel reduction. With less personnel the chances to be able to deliver as promised drop acordingly and the time required to deliver it rises accordingly. So that would be an issue in itself, irrespective of funds.

Right to sell more shares. I would be surprised if the Calders have also not included provisions to have at the very least rights of first refusal if not outright veto control. I do not think they would let themselves out easily to a potential risk of share dilution (if selling new shares) or control dilution (if selling existing shares) in any way or form. Although I may be underestimating their shrewdness and/or CR´s selling abilities.

Sell more ships. Indeed, but that means basically no change from today. And at the rate they are claiming to spend the money they are still in the red.

Last edited:
Less personnel? Sure they could cut in the assets production task force (where I guess a consequent share of their 500+ workforce is) but that would mean less means to deliver shinies that help suck money from gullible pockets.
Though, let's not forget they desperatly NEED more personel in other areas that are pivotal to hopefully have a chance to make this mess out. Since ages.

Oh, by the way... "amass more wealth": is this a thing when your expenses surpass your earnings?

Last edited:

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.

It's quite the experiment that CIG are engaged with, isn't it? Exactly how long can they keep the project going without releasing anything substantive and functional? Their whales have been remarkably forgiving it seems, but yes - there are limits to even the biggest superfan's patience and financial support.

They need to get Chris out of micromanaging the company and SQ42 out the door. I think if they do those things they'll be in a much better position to tackle the PU and do something cool with it like they've been talking about all these years.

They could have their devs work from home just like Shroud of the Avatar :p

Still, plenty more milking of whales to be done yet. They haven't even started selling apartments for $$$ or prefabs for base building. Or as i joked on reddit earlier in relation to the guy dying in the liquid oxygen, a suit that prevents those sort of things happening. Perhaps $1000 for some sort of uber suit?

It's quite the experiment that CIG are engaged with, isn't it? Exactly how long can they keep the project going without releasing anything substantive and functional? Their whales have been remarkably forgiving it seems, but yes - there are limits to even the biggest superfan's patience and financial support.

They need to get Chris out of micromanaging the company and SQ42 out the door. I think if they do those things they'll be in a much better position to tackle the PU and do something cool with it like they've been talking about all these years.

I suspect the Calder people on CIG's board are there to ensure CR focuses on shipping something. Basically acting like evil publishers

Plenty of space, eh? You had a look at balance sheet?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom