General / Off-Topic What song are you listening to right now :)

@ArtiX
At one time I decided to figure out what made something beautiful. I can't say when it comes to sound, but what we call "good taste" when it comes to something we perceive visually, it's mostly fashion. It's personal, it's culturally related, it varies from place to place, and it changes with time. Behind all that you find evolutionary achieved neuroaesthetics, like we really love contrast, because it makes the message easier for the brain to decode. And the brain is a lazy one! It knows that spending energy means hard work to find new energy.

When it comes to music, I don't get, like Taylor Swift, but someone obviously does. As long as there is no true definition to "artistic value" other than the subjective one, that kind of leaves the only other measure, like billions of flies love manure, so it must be good. Once you swallow the red pill, and realize that there is no such thing as an objective "artistic value", as a side effect, it makes it a lot easier to just like whatever you like, and also do/create whatever you think is "beautiful"/"ugly" depending on what you prefer. I spent many year living in an illusion, trying to create what noone could explain, but everybody seemed to agree upon. Does that make sense?

Speaking of good taste. Dear god. If you are real and in any way omni-whatever, please strike me down with lightning and reincarnate me as Lana's "favorite sweater".

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRWox-i6aAk

@ArtiX
At one time I decided to figure out what made something beautiful. I can't say when it comes to sound, but what we call "good taste" when it comes to something we perceive visually, it's mostly fashion. It's personal, it's culturally related, it varies from place to place, and it changes with time. Behind all that you find evolutionary achieved neuroaesthetics, like we really love contrast, because it makes the message easier for the brain to decode. And the brain is a lazy one! It knows that spending energy means hard work to find new energy.

When it comes to music, I don't get, like Taylor Swift, but someone obviously does. As long as there is no true definition to "artistic value" other than the subjective one, that kind of leaves the only other measure, like billions of flies love manure, so it must be good. Once you swallow the red pill, and realize that there is no such thing as an objective "artistic value", as a side effect, it makes it a lot easier to just like whatever you like, and also do/create whatever you think is "beautiful"/"ugly" depending on what you prefer. I spent many year living in an illusion, trying to create what noone could explain, but everybody seemed to agree upon. Does that make sense?

Speaking of good taste. Dear god. If you are real and in any way omni-whatever, please strike me down with lightning and reincarnate me as Lana's "favorite sweater".

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRWox-i6aAk

hmm, music is a lot about marketing, promotion(depending on budgets) and maintaining a public image. Often, only this leads to people even listening to something in the first place.

For instance, in the music business today it's standard practice for big major labels to pay the radio stations in secret to play a new artist and promote him as the "rising star"
People perceive this as someone who is successfull and they jump on that train. This is all down to human psychology and the fact we are a species that feels more comfortable in a collective. It's the same way a hype works. I could tell you about my own experiences, if you want.

For instance, i release my music under my own accord, the newer releases have a label, but it's my own, just to have a buffer betweeen any possible future distributor and my music rights. I could easily go to a label and they'd invest in me to build up a following, but i rather keep my music rights than do that.
So, most of my music is completely unpromoted, and it shows. There is no train that pulls it along, only the occasional listener, who, even if they share it with others, just isn'T enough to make that difference, or cause a hype in a way. Though, if i spent money into a promotion agency they would build up this image that would lead enough people into
"getting into" my music, just enough to break even with the cost i would have. And only from there it is actually about the music itself.
It's like Youtube nowadays. Most successful channels, they have networks behind them, networks that invest in advertisement, in imagebuilding, making the channel look more popular, they carry the production cost AND fake social media attention, fake comments. It's all to motivate others to join in and be more active. It sounds shallow and it really is, but that's how it all works. And only with enough exposure, the artist himself is able to also prove his talent. Without all that, as sad as it sounds, nobody really cares.
You basically beg for a viewership without these tools. And THAT is perceived as "not special".

That is my experience, and i still prefer to do it my way. I don't like the networks, as a matter of fact i've told a few off over the time, who tried to recruit me.
Same with my music, i really don't care about my image, and froma popularity standpoint, it might be a mistake of mine. I'm still happy of all the art and musical works i created with my own hands, with no one helping, in my lifetime. And i actually pride myself in having done all that without a team of people doing the work fore me, with me being the "product".

However you may perceive what i have wrote, this is just my opinion and my experience with the entertainment business.

ok, back to music:
I really don't like Kanye, but this song is actually also one of my favourite tunes to lift me up whenever i feel worthless or weak.

@ArtiX
My point was relating to which 80's bands that are popular today: Taste is changing over time. It's a social construct, and some might be able to play that game. Instead, I believe that art and music is about doing ones personal stuff, and accept that some will like it and some won't. Just because Taylor Swift gets so many hits @ Youtube, doesn't make her music more interesting to me, but I happily accept that a lot of people think she's the best. One can't please everyone, unless one want ones music to sound like McDonald's. Like one of my friends says: "Music is like food. It needs mustard. Not too much, and not too little". I (personally) think Swift needs a lot more mustard ;)

It doesn't have to be hard though. If enough people, by accident, heard this cover, it would be an instant hit:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PUK5rJ2fJo

Last edited:
@ArtiX
My point was relating to which 80's bands that are popular today: Taste is changing over time. It's a social construct, and some might be able to play that game. Instead, I believe that art and music is about doing ones personal stuff, and accept that some will like it and some won't. Just because Taylor Swift gets so many hits @ Youtube, doesn't make her music more interesting to me, but I happily accept that a lot of people think she's the best. One can't please everyone, unless one want ones music to sound like McDonald's. Like one of my friends says: "Music is like food. It needs mustard. Not too much, and not too little". I (personally) think Swift needs a lot more mustard ;)

It doesn't have to be hard though. If enough people, by accident, heard this cover, it would be an instant hit:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PUK5rJ2fJo

Yeah, don't worry about, i get what you're saying! :)

That's actually a really beautiful song, i must say!

Top Bottom