Etiquette? What etiquette?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
When you get to a system you explore it, not just visit a little part of it & move on, that's not exploration. What you regard as etiquette, explorers regard as lazy.

Wouldn't the unwritten rule be more, "do a complete scan or not at all"? or that is what I would say, because there are more then enough systems out there, and leaving stranglers just seems silly.

I scanned almost exclusively water worlds on the way back from Colonia, just so I could say I just scanned mostly water worlds on the way back from Colonia in threads like this.

My best advice is to forget about tagging and explore with your own priorities. Give yourself an in-game story. Or, as others have said, at least stay in the dense areas where the bulk of the stars are. At the edge is where a lot of early exploration took place. Star catalogue entries have largely been scanned too I reckon, but there are only 160,000 or so used in the ED galaxy anyway. A few short of 400,000,000.

At the moment I'm in the Formidine Rift. Not that I expect to find something new and super exciting to the community in general, but because I haven't been there before and I want to see the galactic from the very edge. It's eerie out here, and if any of the other old-timers remember when we briefly during Alpha woke up at a space stations far above the galactic edge with nothing else around us, that's what it feels like at the moment.

My first goal for the trip was to take sunrise pictures of all terraformables I encountered, from the Body Exclusion Zone. Call it a wish for atmospheric flight some day. There is quite a variability of these.

After I passed the Heart and Soul Nebulae, my goal changed to finding life and notable stellar phenomena out on the galactic edge. Why? Because I'm there, this objective will probably survive when I head core-wards eventually. I still scan terraformables because 1) they are valuable, 2) RP-wise, they might be wanted for future outpost establishment, and 3) I want to see what the range of conditions for them is.

As I got closer to the edge and stars began to get scarce, I keep the above objectives in mind while also ensuring I don't run out of jumponium mats. The troublesome mats are germanium and especially arsenic.

And of course if something interesting crops up, if the system looks weird from what I can see in the FSS, I scan that as well.

So my priorities for scanning include: Gas giants with life (if found, I scan everything for biology PoIs), atmosphere-free worlds with volcanics for mats needed (or some worlds with high ambient values of needed mats), terraformables, ELWs, ammonia worlds, oddities.

Some systems I will skip over with hardly a glance, some I scan fully, in some I scan a few bodies and move on depending on what the FSS waveform looks like.

When I get tired of stumbling around the New Outer Arm, I will probably turn towards Colonia. Last time I was there Jacques station had recently been found and I was near Sag A*. I spent enough time there to see Colonia get its name, then headed back to the bubble. I look forward to see what it looks like now.

:D S

Humph.....

Currently riding the rim in a Beagle-wards direction up at the top of Mare Somnia and every single body in the edge systems has been scanned, down to the last moon!

I always think, yeah I've scanned them all, but someone else can still get their name on the system by mapping some cause I only map the most interesting ones.

I am just bypassing the bubble well out beyond inhabited space, heading rimwards that way now, about 4kly out from the nearest bubble systems I guess, and even this close there are still systems with some tagged and others left, well, were is maybe the word I should use! :D

But mapping is few and far between, it appears that these areas, apart from the obvious POI's, haven't been revisited since the FSS and mapping came out. Visit a Class O star and it's been visited, scanned and the bodies often mapped. Still, once we get atmosphere everyone will be rushing to be the first to tag the new lifeforms, it's just one tag rush after another right?

I used to leave unscanned planets for other explorers before the FSS, but now I scan everything. The new exploration tools encourage this, both in-game (an extra reward for a full scan) and the mechanic itself, at least for those of us a little bit OCD. It's way easier to scan an entire system with FSS than to fly to each planet with DSS under the old system. I even scan planets already tagged, just because I'm compelled to.

Now mapping, that's a different story. I only map valuable planets and planets with life, and I suspect most people fall into this camp. Are you telling me every system you visit is 100% mapped? If not, then you really don't have anything to complain about, as mapping under the new system is very similar to discovery under the old system.

ps - if you are flying a route where every system is 100% discovered, then you're doing "exploration" wrong, LOL.

I find I'm actually scanning more bodies now I'm using the PPS. Those 8 tiny icy moons around a gas giant I'd have ignored previously? I can pick those up easily while I'm doing a flyby of the GG. Plus, if I see tiny moving dot them I'm going to go scan it, even if I know it's worthless.

Incidentally, I found a totally unscanned HD system at the weekend. I'd assumed they'd all been visited previously, but this one had escaped notice.

If I'm first in then I scan everything and map anything with a blue circle. There are more than enough system to go around. Personally I don't like anybodies sloppy seconds, some might!

Well, here is my loose Scan Priority list I came up with a while a go to keep me on track when I am heading to places (like I am at the moment from Sag A* to Beagle Point), otherwise I would never get anywhere.
Once I get to my destination then I scan and map whatever takes my fancy.

On entering a system honk while positioning for fuel scoop.
Check System Map to see if it is already scanned. (not always)
Enter FSS.

Scan Gas Giants.

Less than 5 bodies, scan all.

If still fuel scooping scan until full.

Interesting systems scan everything.

If Earth like or Water Worlds consider scanning whole system.

Scan Ammonia worlds.

Scan very large systems 50+ bodies.

Map priority:
Earth like
Water Worlds
Ammonia worlds
Terraformable Worlds
Small unusual planets

Seem to have generated a range of responses here and a lot of advice regarding exploration. Wish I'd had the benefit of some of this before I'd clocked up 3,000,000 lys travelled - guess I've been doing it wrong for a long time ;). Will ensure I amend my ways for my next 61,000 systems and do exploration the proper way(s).... And yes, this is a bit 'pot calling kettle carbon-covered'

Seriously, point taken re mapping being the new tagging. Bit of a no-brainer really given the new mechanics but I hadn't considered it. Strategy changed with immediate effect.

Will now stop beating and kicking the ship's cat.

Will continue cursing FD (and Allitnil) 'cos: reasons!!

Excuse me, but the goal of the discovery explorer, I fly on the verge of a foul on an adult. Extreme full. Wilds for me home.

Well, here is my loose Scan Priority list I came up with a while a go to keep me on track when I am heading to places (like I am at the moment from Sag A* to Beagle Point), otherwise I would never get anywhere.
Once I get to my destination then I scan and map whatever takes my fancy.

On entering a system honk while positioning for fuel scoop.
Check System Map to see if it is already scanned. (not always)
Enter FSS.

Scan Gas Giants.

Less than 5 bodies, scan all.

If still fuel scooping scan until full.

"If still fuel scooping"?

I barely have time to honk and check system map before my fuel scooping is over even from a full length jump, but then I don't throttle down while scooping, it's just fullspeed ahead, honk, scoop, check map if needed, by that time I'm out of scooping range, throttle down and enter FSS. if you eneter the FSS to close to the star on a large system nearly half the system is hidden by the star so the chances are you will need to exit the FSS and re-enter anyway so I always think it's better to be a little further out before FSS use.

Yeah, the honk/scoop strategy can change a bit, depending on the ship. Usually my scooping is pretty quick too. However when I was flying my Beluga, which scoops at the same rate per jump as the DBX, I had a lot more time to do scanning while scooping. It also runs a little hot, so I tended to scoop at a higher altitude, making it take even longer.

But those are really the edge cases. Most ships scoop more quickly. ;)

@varonica Lol, it's just me being cautious with a method to give me time to use the FSS. I do enter fuel scooping quite high and then throttle down. Sometimes it's has a quick rate, sometimes not, I'm not super accurate in my positioning. Bearing in mind I'm in an un-engineered Asp-Explorer that I built from a cannibalised T7 I took to Colonia, I'm also enjoying a 30 Ly jump range.

@varonica Lol, it's just me being cautious with a method to give me time to use the FSS. I do enter fuel scooping quite high and then throttle down. Sometimes it's has a quick rate, sometimes not, I'm not super accurate in my positioning. Bearing in mind I'm in an un-engineered Asp-Explorer that I built from a cannibalised T7 I took to Colonia, I'm also enjoying a 30 Ly jump range.

Fair enough, we all do it our own way, in my Krait I just dive in until I am scooping at 878 cm/ps straighten out and do what I need to do, I know it will be full well before I am out of scoop range if I just sit there at full throttle. It's only if I am nearly empty I throttle down a bit to keep scooping longer, but then I only carry enough fuel for three full range jumps, so if I hit the brown dwarf layer that happens quite often. 🍺

I scan according to the unwritten etiquette rule. I think I only achieved 100% system scanned a couple of times during the DW2 exploration trip -always aware to make room for another Cmdr who may pass in the future and place his tag. Found a few tagged stars while travelling back through the Sagittarius-Carina Arm and if possible would always put an extra 'I was Here too' tag (so the original tag wouldn't feel so lonely) :)

And it is annoying to find one Cmdr's tag on the extreme edges of space fully scanned down to the last Gas Giant moon and distant icy worlds. Went to the Outer Arm edge but for every premium FSD jump further out......another fully scanned system by the same Cmdr. Grrrrrr

Allitnil's name has been mentioned on here but he does play to etiquette rules. Reaching Magellan's Star I saw many an Allitnil tag but he tends to only scan the main star and any ELW's or terra WW's leaving others.I have gained from some terra HMC's and Ammonia tags around there, but leaving room for others....etiquette rules apply.

That's my method and agree with the OP. Doesn't mean I'm saying my exploration viewpoint is better than other. It's just my way of doing it.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom