Rift S...

"desaturation" update:

I also had the occasional white noise flashes, and tried the solution suggested on the Oculus site to plug in the USB first, then the display port. I had plugged both in before booting.

When Oculus Home opened up, the Rift S now showed an orange warning to update USB driver in case of tracking problems. Checked via Windows Settings, but all were up to date already, so thought, well, let's give it a try at least.

Problem gone. I am playing in full saturated VR goodness :)

"desaturation" update:

I also had the occasional white noise flashes, and tried the solution suggested on the Oculus site to plug in the USB first, then the display port. I had plugged both in before booting.

When Oculus Home opened up, the Rift S now showed an orange warning to update USB driver in case of tracking problems. Checked via Windows Settings, but all were up to date already, so thought, well, let's give it a try at least.

Problem gone. I am playing in full saturated VR goodness :)

Will give that a try.

can anyone make a comment about the lenovo explorer vs the rift s? especially about the clarity. on paper the explorer has better resolution and higher refresh rate but the rift seems to have better lenses?
any statement is much appreciated :)

Oh dear :( Hopefully it’s a firmware job.

It's not impossible, but I sort of doubt it.
Everything about this for me screams dodgy cable.
Like how I can only get the green light for DP, if I connect it before the USB.

Both the white flickers and the RGB noise tracks with how a bad cable with broken shielding is effected by EM, sometimes it's own EM fields included.

It's not impossible, but I sort of doubt it.
Everything about this for me screams dodgy cable.
Like how I can only get the green light for DP, if I connect it before the USB.

Both the white flickers and the RGB noise tracks with how a bad cable with broken shielding is effected by EM, sometimes it's own EM fields included.

I had another weird thing with mine today. Hadn’t had the white noise flashes for a while then all off a sudden it just stopped working completely and X plane switched to desktop mode in its own.

Restarted the computer but the monitors wouldn’t come on so powered off and started again but Oculus then saw the Rift S as a new headset and made me go through the setup process again.

Yours does sound like it’s probably a hardware issue but unless I’ve got one too there does seem to be some general teething problems with the firmware or drivers.

I had another weird thing with mine today. Hadn’t had the white noise flashes for a while then all off a sudden it just stopped working completely and X plane switched to desktop mode in its own.

Restarted the computer but the monitors wouldn’t come on so powered off and started again but Oculus then saw the Rift S as a new headset and made me go through the setup process again.

Yours does sound like it’s probably a hardware issue but unless I’ve got one too there does seem to be some general teething problems with the firmware or drivers.

Par for the course, they will get it sorted.

For example, prior to .121 Pimax was a bloody nightmare, unreal pain in the butt. Now its smooth as silk.

I've tried an explorer and own the s, s is definitely more clear, but you could probably pick up an explorer for $100 and they're not bad at all for elite so there's that.. if you're doing other vr e.g. standing games with controllers, the Gap is more pronounced

I’ve just been messing with the IPD settings to try and get over the double vision issues I was having and a slight feeling of being cross eyed. I have discovered if I set the IPD 1mm higher than my actual IPD it seems to sort it out.

Thought it worth mentioning for anyone else on the higher IPD like me. My IPD is 66.

Trouble is that first I'm UK based. My budget is £1,000 for a new PC. And there's no way I really want to spend £400plus of that budget on a used graphics card...
On that user benchmark, the 1080 is roughly 10% better than a Vega 56. I'd spend a "bit" more for a 10% overall improvement, but not a huge part of my budget or make a huge increase in budget to accommodate.
If the Ryzen5/Vega56 combination is actually not up to the task of Elite in Rift S, then I'd just abandon the whole idea rather than increasing the budget, so on those terms, if the proposed hardware is demonstrably insufficient, then critique me to abandon the idea altogether. If it'll run and be "satisfactory" in Elite, then I'm in.

I have played in my friend's Ryzen 5 2600/Sapphire Vega 56 machine on his CV1 and the system didn't seem to suffer in any way, shape or form... so from what I can gather that spec would be adequate for a Rift S with Elite.
So far as "future proofing" is concerned, I'm not an avid gamer by any means, so I really can't see myself adopting many new games in the future, if any at all. I play a few other games on PS4 (as well as having my currently played Elite CMDR on PS4, although I'm a backer with an original PC account as well - Elite is actually the only game I own for the PC. Curiously, the PS4 Pro came well after my PC Elite purchase, and I do play a few other games on PS4: Skyrim, Tomb Raider, recent purchase Shadow of Mordor, GT Sport)

The only other game I'm interested in for VR is beat sabre. Not something I'd have thought I'd enjoy, but trying it on my friend's system I enjoyed it a lot! I enjoyed Super Hot as well, so that's another potential purchase.

As a backup to this, I'd persevere with pauper-spec 2D Elite on my big telly and HOTAS combo on PS4 and just buy a PS VR for beat sabre and whatever else it supports (Skyrim, and GT Sport, for instance...)

Now that you know my aims, help me out with some advice, please.

Yours Aye

Mark H

Considering upgrading my rift for the rift s.
1. Is it worth it?
2. What is the frame rate like on planet surfaces/space stations compared to the rift.
3. Does anybody have a picture of the same shot in Elite in both rifts
Cheers

Last edited:
Considering upgrading my rift for the rift s.
1. Is it worth it?
2. What is the frame rate like on planet surfaces/space stations compared to the rift.
3. Does anybody have a picture of the same shot in Elite in both rifts
Cheers

1. i did the same and it is massive upgrade in image sharpness. For me it was totally worth it.
2. I am using a 1080 ti and the overall feeling is much smoother and more consistant. I don't have numbers though.
3. There are videos available on Youtube, that film the lenses with the same game running.

Extra: Screendoor effect and god rays are almost completely gone.

Edit: Find a comparison video for Rift vs Rift-S here.

Last edited:
1. i did the same and it is massive upgrade in image sharpness. For me it was totally worth it.
2. I am using a 1080 ti and the overall feeling is much smoother and more consistant. I don't have numbers though.
3. There are videos available on Youtube, that film the lenses with the same game running.

Extra: Screendoor effect and god rays are almost completely gone.

Edit: Find a comparison video for Rift vs Rift-S here.
Thank you, seriously considering it more now!
Main worry was if there was more frame drop but sounds good,

A

Thank you, seriously considering it more now!
Main worry was if there was more frame drop but sounds good,

A

For some magic reason, and a whole lot of kafuffling, that is unplugging, replugging, unplugging the other end, trying weird things, the image noise has disapeared, I expect it to come back anytime.
Still getting the brief flashes as before.

As for frame rate, it's a much more responsive screen, the oleds had quite a bit of motion blur in them and this creates a much snappier feel to the game, so 80hz in this feels like 120hz would in the old, if I could do a comparison.

As for details, I think 1x HMD-Q on the S looks better than 2x did on the cv1 so I have actually dropped my supersampling completely from 1.3 and gotten a frame rate boost or at least, fewer drops to ASW.
I might have turned on FXAA instead.
As for text legibilty, I didn't find that much of a problem in the first rift, but this one has none of the old guess work, and I would say I had a bigger issue with that on my ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor than I do with the S.

Overall, I do have to say the design and general feel of this can do with some polish, and feels a bit rushed, so might not be a bad idea and hang back for a month to see what that they.

A lot of people are having power issues, most suspected cause, etc even when using expansion boards.
It's quite likely this HMD wants all the power available to a USB controller chip and even if it is a good one, it might be a few milliamp short, enough to cause issues.
I think this could have easily been sorted with a dedicated power plug.

For some magic reason, and a whole lot of kafuffling, that is unplugging, replugging, unplugging the other end, trying weird things, the image noise has disapeared, I expect it to come back anytime.
Still getting the brief flashes as before.

As for frame rate, it's a much more responsive screen, the oleds had quite a bit of motion blur in them and this creates a much snappier feel to the game, so 80hz in this feels like 120hz would in the old, if I could do a comparison.

As for details, I think 1x HMD-Q on the S looks better than 2x did on the cv1 so I have actually dropped my supersampling completely from 1.3 and gotten a frame rate boost or at least, fewer drops to ASW.
I might have turned on FXAA instead.
As for text legibilty, I didn't find that much of a problem in the first rift, but this one has none of the old guess work, and I would say I had a bigger issue with that on my ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor than I do with the S.

Overall, I do have to say the design and general feel of this can do with some polish, and feels a bit rushed, so might not be a bad idea and hang back for a month to see what that they.

A lot of people are having power issues, most suspected cause, etc even when using expansion boards.
It's quite likely this HMD wants all the power available to a USB controller chip and even if it is a good one, it might be a few milliamp short, enough to cause issues.
I think this could have easily been sorted with a dedicated power plug.
Not sure why, didn't notice it as much in cv1 with high ss...but anti aliasing is extremely noticeable, with fxaa on every looks so nice, turn it off even with 2.0ss and things jag right up. Either way I'd say it's worth sacrificing in other areas to keep that on.

Trouble is that first I'm UK based. My budget is £1,000 for a new PC. And there's no way I really want to spend £400plus of that budget on a used graphics card...
On that user benchmark, the 1080 is roughly 10% better than a Vega 56. I'd spend a "bit" more for a 10% overall improvement, but not a huge part of my budget or make a huge increase in budget to accommodate.
If the Ryzen5/Vega56 combination is actually not up to the task of Elite in Rift S, then I'd just abandon the whole idea rather than increasing the budget, so on those terms, if the proposed hardware is demonstrably insufficient, then critique me to abandon the idea altogether. If it'll run and be "satisfactory" in Elite, then I'm in.

I have played in my friend's Ryzen 5 2600/Sapphire Vega 56 machine on his CV1 and the system didn't seem to suffer in any way, shape or form... so from what I can gather that spec would be adequate for a Rift S with Elite.
So far as "future proofing" is concerned, I'm not an avid gamer by any means, so I really can't see myself adopting many new games in the future, if any at all. I play a few other games on PS4 (as well as having my currently played Elite CMDR on PS4, although I'm a backer with an original PC account as well - Elite is actually the only game I own for the PC. Curiously, the PS4 Pro came well after my PC Elite purchase, and I do play a few other games on PS4: Skyrim, Tomb Raider, recent purchase Shadow of Mordor, GT Sport)

The only other game I'm interested in for VR is beat sabre. Not something I'd have thought I'd enjoy, but trying it on my friend's system I enjoyed it a lot! I enjoyed Super Hot as well, so that's another potential purchase.

As a backup to this, I'd persevere with pauper-spec 2D Elite on my big telly and HOTAS combo on PS4 and just buy a PS VR for beat sabre and whatever else it supports (Skyrim, and GT Sport, for instance...)

Now that you know my aims, help me out with some advice, please.

Yours Aye

Mark H

It's just my opinion, but for the second gen HMDs (Rift S, Vive Pro, most of the WMR HMDs), I think you need at least a 1080 Ti for ED. You could probably get away with a 1080 for most other games, but ED is a monitor game that's had VR grafted on as a feature, and thus makes zero compromises for performance on VR.

Keep in mind, the Rift S has double the pixels of an OG Rift. You need a GPU that is roughly twice as powerful to get the same framerate on a Rift S as you do on Rift.

What I'd honestly recommend is that you consider a Rift or Vive. The experience with a 1080 and OG Rift was great, and you can get these used for real cheap these days, here in the states. If you're hell bent on the Rift S, and I totally wouldn't blame you if you were, you're going to be disappointed with anything less than a 1080 Ti, IMHO.

Edit: And I say all this as an owner of a Vive Pro, for which a 1080 Ti was really only "just barely enough." I had the 1080/OG Rift setup previously, though, and that was fine.

Not sure why, didn't notice it as much in cv1 with high ss...but anti aliasing is extremely noticeable, with fxaa on every looks so nice, turn it off even with 2.0ss and things jag right up. Either way I'd say it's worth sacrificing in other areas to keep that on.
Think the cv1 was a bit softer in the pixels.
Probably from the lenses would be my guess.

Partly why I parked my vive for the rift was the aliasing artefacts in the vive which was nearly eyestabbing. Where the cv1 had a more pleasant blur to it.

With the S the lenses are far sharper and the few new pixels but also all pixels no longer being pentile the red and blue pixels are more than double of the cv1.

So with more pixels we get better benefit of what AA we employ or Supersampling if we use that.

The S does not have twice as many pixels as the cv1.

In rendering specs the extra pixels are comparable to running the original with 1.2 SS.
Where we have double the amount actually its more lije 266% of pixels is in the red and blue subpixels.
Now the cv1's display panels had half of these, but those pixels where always rendered by the game to begin with.

Last edited:
It's just my opinion, but for the second gen HMDs (Rift S, Vive Pro, most of the WMR HMDs), I think you need at least a 1080 Ti for ED. You could probably get away with a 1080 for most other games, but ED is a monitor game that's had VR grafted on as a feature, and thus makes zero compromises for performance on VR.

Keep in mind, the Rift S has double the pixels of an OG Rift. You need a GPU that is roughly twice as powerful to get the same framerate on a Rift S as you do on Rift.

What I'd honestly recommend is that you consider a Rift or Vive. The experience with a 1080 and OG Rift was great, and you can get these used for real cheap these days, here in the states. If you're hell bent on the Rift S, and I totally wouldn't blame you if you were, you're going to be disappointed with anything less than a 1080 Ti, IMHO.

Edit: And I say all this as an owner of a Vive Pro, for which a 1080 Ti was really only "just barely enough." I had the 1080/OG Rift setup previously, though, and that was fine.

It isn’t twice the pixels of CV1 it’s around 40% more with around a 12% drop in frame rates so around 28% more demanding on a GPU at 80FPS.

My GTX 1080 is coping but it goes into ASW in areas of ED that it used be able to maintain 90FPS (with HMDQ at 1.25). If I lowered a few settings I’d get 80 FPS everywhere again I think.

I do agree that something equivalent to the Ti would be better but if someone is on a tight budget aiming around GTX 1080 power is perfectly playable in the Rift S.

I’m looking to upgrade myself, probably to a 2080 or 2080ti but I’m waiting until X plane brings out Vulkan. It X plane where I really need the extra grunt and at the moment it’s OpenGL that’s causing my CPU to bottlenecks on one core that’s as much of an issue as my GPU struggling.

Last edited:
It's just my opinion, but for the second gen HMDs (Rift S, Vive Pro, most of the WMR HMDs), I think you need at least a 1080 Ti for ED.

I manage just fine on a standard 1070 with VR ultra settings and SS at 1.4 in the Oculus tray tool. No issues at all with the Rift S.

I manage just fine on a standard 1070 with VR ultra settings and SS at 1.4 in the Oculus tray tool. No issues at all with the Rift S.

You will find that you are relying pretty heavily on Spacewarp, which is fine if you dont mind the artifacts it introduces.

Top Bottom