Look at this!!!!

How does the graphics of this video compare with say walking around the mamba in vr?

The limiting factor is VR resolution, walking around 'in VR' looks great on a flat screen but as usual a bit blurry and all in vr. On a screen it looks less than this vid obviously but that's offline RT and such for you. For space legs the quality is already perfectly fine.

Most notably for me is how improved the assets in the Mamba are compared with earlier ships, including parts of the bridge you simply can't see from your chair. First time I saw it I immediately thought of space legs...

Someone else made a vid...
Source: https://youtu.be/rZwHCqu5xWY

Most notably for me is how improved the assets in the Mamba are compared with earlier ships, including parts of the bridge you simply can't see from your chair.
Exactly right. The Mamba certainly has areas that frankly make no sense being as detailed as they are if the game is going to remain with us stuck in our seats and completely unable to see them. And the level of detail and material detail in the Krait(s) and the Mamba (and to some extent the Chieftain range) are on a different level to many of the early ships in game. I mean, improvements happen over time and don't mean anything in themselves, but the new ships do seem more future-proof.

And that video is great, 9 months of work! Love the move from industrial SRV bay up into plush(ish) leather living quarters 🙂

The limiting factor is VR resolution, walking around 'in VR' looks great on a flat screen but as usual a bit blurry and all in vr. On a screen it looks less than this vid obviously but that's offline RT and such for you. For space legs the quality is already perfectly fine.

Most notably for me is how improved the assets in the Mamba are compared with earlier ships, including parts of the bridge you simply can't see from your chair. First time I saw it I immediately thought of space legs...

Someone else made a vid...
Source: https://youtu.be/rZwHCqu5xWY

Wow that looks great, its not far off from the video the op posted in terms of cockpit quality. One would think the next gen consoles releasing in 2020 would help with the quality of the visuals :)

Very nice video.

So, what happens to the (very impressive) interior model if I decide to fit a couple of C2 passenger cabins?

Very nice video.

So, what happens to the (very impressive) interior model if I decide to fit a couple of C2 passenger cabins?
You will have to throw out either the shield generator or the SRV and have a cabin there instead. It's just two sleep coffins in a pressurized box anyway.

Very nice video.

I imagine it is just 'hull with empty rooms' combined with prefab modules for those spaces. So you throw out the shield, for example, and the tiny cabin takes its place.

I imagine it is just 'hull with empty rooms' combined with prefab modules for those spaces. So you throw out the shield, for example, and the tiny cabin takes its place.

Uhuh.

That's the big hurdle.

To be fair, I think whoever's made that video has considered that, to some extent.
I assume it would, just about, be possible to squeeze some kind of "passenger cabin" into the spaces where the SRV and Shield Generator are shown in that video.

Seems like they'd need to be a unique shape to fit into the Sidey though.

Fortunately, the amount of "dead space" inside ships increases massively as ships get bigger so if you can squeeze all the possible options into a Sidey or Eagle then it'll only get easier to do as the ships get bigger.

I’m glad the sidewinder has a dishwasher installed. I hate washing up
Who doesn't!
Exactly right. The Mamba certainly has areas that frankly make no sense being as detailed as they are if the game is going to remain with us stuck in our seats and completely unable to see them. And the level of detail and material detail in the Krait(s) and the Mamba (and to some extent the Chieftain range) are on a different level to many of the early ships in game. I mean, improvements happen over time and don't mean anything in themselves, but the new ships do seem more future-proof.
I noticed that as well Commander

It's a great concept video the creator should be very proud and it does almost feel like you're in Elite Dangerous and not watching a video in terms of scaling and how well modeled it is. I'm not sure even with space legs we'll get that amount of freedom to walk around outside, but inside yes!

now.....imagine having to do that EVERY TIMR you want to go somwwhere.

it added ZERO gameplay. it wasted minutes of my spaceship flying time not flying a space ship. it did not add any value to the game other than the first time walk through.

why would you want FDev to spend valuable dev time working on tedious eye candy when they could be fixing bugs.

grrat effort on the video but I'm still not a fan of walking around.

now.....imagine having to do that EVERY TIMR you want to go somwwhere.

it added ZERO gameplay. it wasted minutes of my spaceship flying time not flying a space ship. it did not add any value to the game other than the first time walk through.

why would you want FDev to spend valuable dev time working on tedious eye candy when they could be fixing bugs.

grrat effort on the video but I'm still not a fan of walking around.

Sorry, but that is not really fair. This is a vid made by a visual artist showcasing ray tracing on FD's assets. This is not a video by a game designer proposing game mechanics. You can find discussions about all kinds of possible gameplay proposals all over the forum, this isn't intended to showcase any gameplay so it isn't fair to complain about that.

Sorry, but that is not really fair. This is a vid made by a visual artist showcasing ray tracing on FD's assets. This is not a video by a game designer proposing game mechanics. You can find discussions about all kinds of possible gameplay proposals all over the forum, this isn't intended to showcase any gameplay so it isn't fair to complain about that.

I think the point of the post was to highlight the lack of gameplay provided by walking around, alone, rather than criticise the video.

Let's face it, when/if we ever get space-legs, the first time you start up the game you're going to walk across the hangar, press the button to deploy the boarding-ramp, board your ship, have a walk around the interior of it, head for the cockpit, sit down, power up all the flight-controls and then take off.
After that, you're probably just going to click on a "board ship" shortcut to skip past all that stuff.
If, of course, there is a way to skip past it - and there'd bloody-well better be.

I think the point of the post was to highlight the lack of gameplay provided by walking around, alone, rather than criticise the video.

Let's face it, when/if we ever get space-legs, the first time you start up the game you're going to walk across the hangar, press the button to deploy the boarding-ramp, board your ship, have a walk around the interior of it, head for the cockpit, sit down, power up all the flight-controls and then take off.
After that, you're probably just going to click on a "board ship" shortcut to skip past all that stuff.
If, of course, there is a way to skip past it - and there'd bloody-well better be.

Well, rest assured many of us already have tried space legs in other games and do enjoy it. I do not skip the 'board ship' process in X:R or X4. Many of us experienced also gameplay elements. Such as going EVA in your ship after making an opponent use an escape pod, fixing the ship from the outside, breaking open the door and taking over the ship. Exploring derelicts wrecks is fun. And yes, dare I say, entering a base on foot to steal some data/shoot some folks/whatever is also fun. The whole scaremongering, trying to make people who already have done it forget they enjoy it, is just weird. So you can just skip the 'lets face it' part next time, because we have faced it and enjoy it. That is why so many cant wait for spacelegs, and why so many gamers will only jump in when ED has it. Because to us the concept is demonstrably proven fun. Lets face that.

You dont think it is fun? Too bad, but guess whose problem that is? :D

Well, rest assured many of us already have tried space legs in other games and do enjoy it. I do not skip the 'board ship' process in X:R or X4. Many of us experienced also gameplay elements. Such as going EVA in your ship after making an opponent use an escape pod, fixing the ship from the outside, breaking open the door and taking over the ship. Exploring derelicts wrecks is fun. And yes, dare I say, entering a base on foot to steal some data/shoot some folks/whatever is also fun. The whole scaremongering, trying to make people who already have done it forget they enjoy it, is just weird. So you can just skip the 'lets face it' part next time, because we have faced it and enjoy it. That is why so many cant wait for spacelegs, and why so many gamers will only jump in when ED has it. Because to us the concept is demonstrably proven fun. Lets face that.

You dont think it is fun? Too bad, but guess whose problem that is? :D

Well, duh.

Adding gameplay related to spacelegs creates gameplay for spacelegs.

Whoda thunk it?!

If there IS sufficient additional gameplay attached to spacelegs, I'm all for it. (y)
The fact remains, though, that just making us walk around in order to do the things we can already do would just be mildly irritating rather than revolutionary.

Top Bottom