Frustrating Rift S tracking issues

I'm having a ridiculously frustrating issue in Elite Dangerous with the Rift S (using a GTX 1080) to the point where I'm considering returning it. The view keeps going grey and then resetting so my head is in my lap and I have to keep using the xbox controller to reset the view back to normal. This is happening constantly no matter what I do and has made this completely unplayable. I've tried enabling/disabling guardian and game mode is off. I'm launching through the Oculus Library and was playing with a Xbox controller. I've tried with the touch controllers in front of me on my desk and also placing them on the floor out of sight of the headset and nothing has fixed it. Has anyone else seen this?

Try launching from the Elite launcher and then in game, change the output to the rift. I am using the S without issues in this way.

If you're using creator windows update, try disabling games -> game mode in windows prefs (sorry I'm using a localized version so it may be spelled differently in english)

If you're using creator windows update, try disabling games -> game mode in windows prefs (sorry I'm using a localized version so it may be spelled differently in english)

That should not affect the rift output. The overlay is only triggered when the game bar is invoked. I had that option on forever; and turned it off just because it interfere with the DX9 rendering when playing GTA games with ENB mods.

Perhaps, but this is the way I solved the exact same issue that completely prevented me from playing two days ago..

Perhaps, but this is the way I solved the exact same issue that completely prevented me from playing two days ago..

Sadly, that fix didn't work for me because "game mode" wasn't enabled on my system in the first place.

After running into this issue I tested the Rift-S on:

1. DCS World
2. X-Plane 11
3. Flight Simulator X via FlyInside X
4. War Thunder
5. Fallout4 VR
6. Skyrim VR

None of these titles had a single issue with tracking. Unfortunately, every time I get into my cockpit in Elite, my head ends up in my lap within a few seconds.

This is incredibly frustrating, as Elite is my prefered relaxation title in VR. Having it down is a major bummer. :(

I have that issue too, from time to time; but in my case my head end up on top of the dashboard on the right side. I just need to reset it and it works fine.

I have noticed that behavior, being more pronounced when my hands obstruct the cameras on the Rift-S; check if your cameras are clean and there are no fingerprints on it. I agree that it is a problem that is specific to ED, although I did not test extensively the headset to make a case based on facts.

I doubt Frontier will make a patch just for the rift-s; but Oculus is about to release a patch soon, to fix the first quirks of the device; like the microphone volume and increase the refresh on the cameras, to use less CPU and improve accuracy. Maybe that will fix your problem.

I'm having a ridiculously frustrating issue in Elite Dangerous with the Rift S (using a GTX 1080) to the point where I'm considering returning it.

BTW are you using extension cables for the USB and DP port? My rift-S went crazy while using extension cables; although some prominent youtubers did have success with 6ft extension cables.

... but Oculus is about to release a patch soon, to fix the first quirks of the device; like the microphone volume and increase the refresh on the cameras, to use less CPU and improve accuracy. Maybe that will fix your problem.

I certainly hope it does, otherwise back to the store it goes. Sure, I'll be sad to lose the increased resolution of the Rift-S, but my Rift CV1 worked perfectly in Elite; to lose that functionality is a price I'm not willing to pay.

I certainly hope it does, otherwise back to the store it goes. Sure, I'll be sad to lose the increased resolution of the Rift-S, but my Rift CV1 worked perfectly in Elite; to lose that functionality is a price I'm not willing to pay.

If you don't feel like you want to keep the S, and ED is the only reason why you use it; maybe it is better if you return it now, and buy it again when the problems are fixed. It is not like the rift goes anywhere or increase in price after all.

I play with other 10 games, so the inconvenience in one game is bearable for me. I am more concerned about the screen showing artifacts at random; while using remote desktop in Oculus home; but I had every single rift starting with the DK1, so I am used to unfinished stuff. They will end up fixing things eventually; it is just a matter of how much are you invested in waiting for the fix to arrive.

I had some issues and searched around and room lighting can really throw things off. If you have very bright light overhead or sunlight coming into the room it can hose up tracking. I turned off my overhead light and disabled guardian and now its fine.

I have the exact same issue. Where my view will just snap to my feet and the longer i play the faster the issue becomes. To the point where i cant even keep up.

I'm getting the same problem on Rift S.
Screen greys (tracking loss) then resets to left of feet position.
Happens every after about 1-2mins not practical to reset position hence unplayable.
Tracking fine on everything else.
Was very much looking forward to getting back into elite with crisper visuals.

I started yesterday to experience the same problem with the Rift S and nVidia 1060. After a few minutes, the screen briefly loses color saturation and then the POV is about one meter to the left. If I reset the Rift S view, it happens again after a while. First I though it may be a problem with the headset or computer getting too hot (it's pretty hot at home right now). I have reinstalled the Oculus SW but it didn't fixed it.

I haven't tried other games yet to see if it's a ED problem (most probably). If I manage to solve it somehow I will post here.

In my case it (somehow) fixed. I can't say exactly how. Only two changes:
  • I verified the integrity of local files in Steam (although it said they were ok)
  • Temperature is milder now here, so perhaps it was overheating problems

I hope it helps someone

Fixed.
1. Verified files in Steam (though I don't think this did anything.)
2. Reinstalled Oculus software (I think this did it): https://www.oculus.com/setup/ >scroll down to "Download Software"> Run OculusSetup.exe and select "Repair"

I still get the gray flicker in ED, but no resetting the head into the lap. Hope this helps.

So, I got the exact same problems (gray flicker and view reset to lap position). I tried all suggested tips from above but none of this helped (though I must say, Oculus software reinstall helped for a short time).
Something interesting I've noticed yesterday: I was able to play around 60 minutes with maybe one reset the whole time while flying in my Krait, so a little bit annoying but overall acceptable. So after an hour, I switched ingame to my T9 and boom - the flickering/resetting began massively (every 5-10 seconds), I was not able to play anymore.
I do not say the whole problem has something to do with the ship you fly ingame, but definitely something fishy going on here ED-wise.

I've also contacted ED support with this, the answer was practically "Rift S not yet supported, but we're looking into this".

Top Bottom