Playstation 5: Confirmed backwards compatibility

To avoid this rule the game would have to release as PS5 exclusive and only run on PS5 VR headset only...
I don't see this being a problem. When PS4 first came out, there were at least a few different MMOs that maintained separate PS3 and PS4 versions of the same game, with the PS4 version being graphically enhanced. I suspect we'll see the same thing with PS5. PSVR is already "exclusive" in that you have to own the headset to play it, and most games are VR-only (I had to buy a separate Skyrim to play it in VR, as Skyrim Remastered doesn't support it).

I'm expecting a PS5 version of ED, likely even something we buy again, based on my experience upgrading from PS3 to PS4. The main difference is that I can choose to stick with my PS4 version and not pay for all the extra features (unlike my PS3).

There’s no LEP to worry about on the PS4 version so a version exclusive to the ps5 which could include the new season and vr.
There’s no guarantee the PS4 will be capable of sticking with ED’s updates.

The best thing (if not the only good thing) about Xbox 1 was the backwards compatibility, and was a good selling point for the system.
And considering the huge library of awesome games on the PS4, I'd say backwards compatibility is a great feature. Here's hoping that PSX games will be playable on PS5. 😁👌

Clearly they aren't - or they would go now.
It’s ready to go in respect to it being a fully functional vr game on pc.
The PS4 simply doesn’t have enough grunt to reach the minimum frame rates required,the PS5 will so it seems to be inevitable that ED VR for the PS5 will be a thing. If it isn’t I would begin to wonder if things were wrapping up in relation to ED development.

It’s ready to go in respect to it being a fully functional vr game on pc.
The PS4 simply doesn’t have enough grunt to reach the minimum frame rates required,the PS5 will so it seems to be inevitable that ED VR for the PS5 will be a thing. If it isn’t I would begin to wonder if things were wrapping up in relation to ED development.

Exactly. Didn't they say that in order to make PSVR run ED, Frontier had to sacrifice a LOT of the fidelity to reach 60 fps? And they were sure the audience didn't want that just to make it work in VR.

The thing with ED is that it is entirely dependent on connecting to it's 'universe'. It's clear the next major update is a big one, I would be very surprised if the next update was playable on the old 'PS4' game using a PS5. Games can be backward compatible, but ED isn't just something like FIFA which you open up and play. If space legs/atmospherics require a major update to COBRA, major work on the server side (which I expect it all will) and Frontier are aiming for next gen consoles, it seems foolish to be held to making the old version work with all that as well. I mean come on, if you haven't got your money's worth out of the PS4 version yet you're really late to the party.

It's far more important to me that the next chapter is available on PS5 with everything the PC version has. The recent changes to the cAPI which puts us on a much more equal footing with PC CMDRs to me indicates a step in that direction. VR would be a nice plus and would make me actually consider buying one.

ED VR launch title would be quite a scoop for FD. Launch titles sell like hot cakes traditionally and the next update falls in around a conceivable PS5 launch date.
Considering FD’s push to make ED a less daunting prospect for new players and the rave reviews the current VR experience gets it could be a nice little earner FD doesn’t want to pass up.

The thing with ED is that it is entirely dependent on connecting to it's 'universe'. It's clear the next major update is a big one, I would be very surprised if the next update was playable on the old 'PS4' game using a PS5. Games can be backward compatible, but ED isn't just something like FIFA which you open up and play. If space legs/atmospherics require a major update to COBRA, major work on the server side (which I expect it all will) and Frontier are aiming for next gen consoles, it seems foolish to be held to making the old version work with all that as well. I mean come on, if you haven't got your money's worth out of the PS4 version yet you're really late to the party.

It's far more important to me that the next chapter is available on PS5 with everything the PC version has. The recent changes to the cAPI which puts us on a much more equal footing with PC CMDRs to me indicates a step in that direction. VR would be a nice plus and would make me actually consider buying one.
I'll happily buy ED again for PS5, assuming it's much closer to today's PC ultra settings than even PS4 Pro is. Heck, I'd even restart a new CMDR from scratch if I had too (though I'm hoping our assets, especially paid assets like cosmetics, are tied to our PSN account and thus carry over).

I do hope that ED on PS4 continues to work, mainly so I can multicrew with myself - unless we get a proper NPC bridge crew, then there is no need. I also suspect not everyone will buy a PS5 on launch day. This will be my first "early adopter" buy, as I waited for the Slim version of both PS3 and PS4 before upgrading to them. I'm so excited about PS5 (especially since I'm skipping the Pro) that I may actually preorder it if offered!

I'll happily buy ED again for PS5, assuming it's much closer to today's PC ultra settings than even PS4 Pro is. Heck, I'd even restart a new CMDR from scratch if I had too (though I'm hoping our assets, especially paid assets like cosmetics, are tied to our PSN account and thus carry over).

I do hope that ED on PS4 continues to work, mainly so I can multicrew with myself - unless we get a proper NPC bridge crew, then there is no need. I also suspect not everyone will buy a PS5 on launch day. This will be my first "early adopter" buy, as I waited for the Slim version of both PS3 and PS4 before upgrading to them. I'm so excited about PS5 (especially since I'm skipping the Pro) that I may actually preorder it if offered!
Same here,I’ve traditionally waited for a better deal and more games. But with backwards compatibility it’s a day one purchase for me.

ED VR launch title would be quite a scoop for FD. Launch titles sell like hot cakes traditionally and the next update falls in around a conceivable PS5 launch date.
Considering FD’s push to make ED a less daunting prospect for new players and the rave reviews the current VR experience gets it could be a nice little earner FD doesn’t want to pass up.
It would also be a massive selling point for Sony's headset as many of the PSVR games are tech demos more or less.

Or they just want to pull in more 'click-and-pay' players who traditionally are of the 'impatient' school of thinking. As OA's piece on 'in-game' purchases highlighted, there is almost as much, if not more, money to be made from in-game purchase models these days than just selling titles. The overall look and feel of the game has changed a lot and many of these recent changes seem to be focused on getting new players involved 'easily'. While I have always advocated for a better learner experience, there are some things about the new updates that don't jibe well with me and I wonder if that is planned for the PS5 and a new market, or just a trend in the way FDEV are generally going. As I do not play any other FDEV titles I have no idea how to compare ED with the other work in that regard.

I don't disagree with your points LJS but I do genuinely think they are trying to strike a balance between being more accessible but not being a click and play game. Personally I've always been frustrated that despite having 4000+ hours in game a lot of things are just as difficult and unrewarding as if I was starting out with nothing. Whether that's by design or my incompetence I'm not sure. I can't see ED not appearing on PS5 in some form, we can only wait now. It's not like Frontier are going to give anything away!

I've only got "Ghost of Tsushima" to distract me now as I think "Death Stranding" will be a PS5 launch title.

Judging by a new patent from Sony - regarding the backwards compatibility - it should not take a lot of effort to bring old titles like Elite Dangerous working and benefitting from the new hardware the PS5 offers. For more information you can take a look here:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Judging by a new patent from Sony - regarding the backwards compatibility - it should not take a lot of effort to bring old titles like Elite Dangerous working and benefitting from the new hardware the PS5 offers. For more information you can take a look here:

Yeh it should hopefully be very straight forward, although FDev have seemed to struggle with the PS4 at times. As for other games, I guess that's off-topic here and is probably for another forum. :)

To avoid this rule the game would have to release as PS5 exclusive and only run on PS5 VR headset only...

To be honest, maybe a PS5 only version with the existing headset (which will also be backwards compatible) would be a leap enough to satisfy Sony? :)

Looking forward to the new console. Though it hasn't been officially named "PS5", most likely it will be. Thankfully not following the Microsoft example of the inability to count or stay in sequence, i.e. Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One (huh?)

As for this game moving over, of course it would be improved or a patch tweaked for the new performance of the new machine, that would only make sense. Of course, we can only speculate and dream until that day arrives...

Gary

Top Bottom