Newcomer / Intro What is the purpose of solo?

Switching between the two, I can't see any differences, aside from the obvious absence of other players. But my ship is still in the same location, with the same missions active. Is the only difference a lack of other players? Does everything carry over? For example, could someone build up a ton of wealth on solo play, and then bring all that over to the populated version?

Switching between the two, I can't see any differences, aside from the obvious absence of other players. But my ship is still in the same location, with the same missions active. Is the only difference a lack of other players? Does everything carry over? For example, could someone build up a ton of wealth on solo play, and then bring all that over to the populated version?

You're right, very little difference and yes you can pop in from one to the other. Solo is less internet dependent so if you have a weak connection you won't suffer in Solo. It basically makes life a little easier in that you don't have to worry about being pirated by human players.

Heh, exactly the same game play on the same servers with the same galactic data (from explored systems to trade items) minus the interaction with other players.
One advantage of Solo is to "address" issues related to too many players. eg No docking spaces cos too many players in system? (max 30/35 per instance) Drop to solo. then Dock without trouble.

Every question you asked = YES

Yes, you can absolutely go into solo play and build up a ton of wealth and then bring that over to the populated version. BUT! Two things. One, you can achieve exactly the same thing by staying in open and just going to a quiet group of systems, after all, the galaxy is BIG. Two, what you may gain in wealth you will loose in experience against other players. So, your choice.

Yes, you can absolutely go into solo play and build up a ton of wealth and then bring that over to the populated version. BUT! Two things. One, you can achieve exactly the same thing by staying in open and just going to a quiet group of systems, after all, the galaxy is BIG. Two, what you may gain in wealth you will loose in experience against other players. So, your choice.

Wisely put but has its advantages at times

I found a good use jumping between the two, was waiting to deliver some good to an outpost to complete a mission but the outpost was in a high traffic area, all the docking pads were being fought over by all. So I saved and exited and reloaded in solo and all was good, docked up completed the mission and then rejoined the open play inside.

Solo is really for when the whole universe just seems completely dead set on squashing you no matter what you do.

It's also great for bad connection days...

Mostly B.

Connections aside a good compromise is joining a good PVE group like Mobius where players are dedicated to being there and going about their business without shooting it out with other players.

Connections aside a good compromise is joining a good PVE group like Mobius where players are dedicated to being there and going about their business without shooting it out with other players.

yup, its a fun filled galaxy in the Mobius PvE group, we have 1465 members with more being added every hour and its rapidly becoming the fourth mode of play.

Mostly B for me too. ED feels like it needs more up/dn bandwidth than most FPSs. In the evening hours that's hard to come by, and I get warping ships or lagging exits from FSD/Supercruise.

Thanks for the link, I have now applied for membership of the Xbox group. I am just finding my way around the forums, didn’t realise the original post was so old, sorry to have bothered folk - will try harder next time.

Open has a rare disease. It can be mitigated and avoided and most do. But it's there nonetheless. It's called "gank".

Of course, solo also suffers from "gank" but it will be self-inflicted.

I play open most of the time to make it more interesting.

Last night I went into Solo since Im learning how to mine and would rather not deal with distraction like getting blown up for my cargo.

I play open most of the time to make it more interesting.

Last night I went into Solo since Im learning how to mine and would rather not deal with distraction like getting blown up for my cargo.

Well if you forget the golden rule of mining you might still get blown up for your cargo even in Solo, NPC pirates tend to appear when you appear in a ring, whether just arriving or logging back in, and they will attack you if you have anything other than limpets as cargo.

There are rumours that once you get far enough away from the nearest habitation they don't show up, but then there are rumours that Lord Lucan was seen riding Shergar on Raxxla.

What I have been told is to drop in and wait for the NPC Pirates to scan you before you star taking in materials.

Im just starting out but by doing this I haven't been attacked yet

There are a few different things you can do switching between open play and solo. If you are running missions you might obtain a few more for the same location switching between. Some people consider this cheating and it's not exactly fair

Top Bottom