E3 - 2019

I say nothing about promises. say "I promise it will be like this" and "see what I do and what came of it, although the release can still change" are two very big differences.
Oh sure, that went down splendidly with Fleet Carriers.

No thanks, I’ve had my fill of software companies announcing vapourware. I’d rather they announced when they’re good and ready and certain.

To early? Why? It's not that like nine out of ten games announced at E3 will be released somewhere in 2020.
Fdev wouldn't have to spread out the whole shebang, some snippets here and there would go a long way imho.

But hey, it's Fdev, we ought to know by now how their communication or lack thereof works.

Chances are, the stuff they’re working on right now is the unglamorous, unsexy, but oh-so vital stuff they need to build on. Database redesigns, Cobra Engine mods, that sort of thing. Once that lot’s done, then they can work on the sexy stuff, as well as having a much better idea of what is and isn’t possible. Then they can start to reveal stuff if they choose.

“We’re working hard on the next major expansion, and to that end we’ve upgraded all our MySQL systems to version 8 and deactivated binary logging!”

To me they are in contradiction when they say that they will tell us when they know exactly.
Last year they moved from pre-production to full production.
So they for sure know what they are going to release and after a year of full production if they still don't know... uh oh...

First option: what they have in mind is so big that they still don't know if they can make it. So best case we're gonna have a complete new game (atmo planets and legs), worst case we have another year of free small update (see Beyond). Middle case they will release only a part of it, the rest will be released for free one or two years later together with a lot of other things that no one cares (see Horizons).

Second option: last year they didn't go in full production and that was a lie. They started now (see the new job opportunities) and they still don't know how much they can release next year. They have a bunch of ideas but not a final plan.

Third option: MARKETING. Frontier is spreading info here and there to keep high the attention of the community but at the same time they say nothing because they also need to catch new customers at the right time. So they exactly know what they will release with few options not still confirmed. They will not tell until day X and they know when that is. They only have one shot in the gun and they don't want to waste it.

I think something else other than ED is occupying FD at E3:

To me they are in contradiction when they say that they will tell us when they know exactly.
Last year they moved from pre-production to full production.
So they for sure know what they are going to release and after a year of full production if they still don't know... uh oh...

First option: what they have in mind is so big that they still don't know if they can make it. So best case we're gonna have a complete new game (atmo planets and legs), worst case we have another year of free small update (see Beyond). Middle case they will release only a part of it, the rest will be released for free one or two years later together with a lot of other things that no one cares (see Horizons).

Second option: last year they didn't go in full production and that was a lie. They started now (see the new job opportunities) and they still don't know how much they can release next year. They have a bunch of ideas but not a final plan.

Third option: MARKETING. Frontier is spreading info here and there to keep high the attention of the community but at the same time they say nothing because they also need to catch new customers at the right time. So they exactly know what they will release with few options not still confirmed. They will not tell until day X and they know when that is. They only have one shot in the gun and they don't want to waste it.
Oh, I would really like it to be the third option. but, why I’m sure that it’s still option 2 in the spring of 2020, the frontiers will say, we started developing a new era in September 2019, wait until 2021-2022 and everything will be fine. and no, we are not going to tell you anything until the autumn of 2021.

Deleted member 38366

D
Well, they just like being "Silent Running".

At least for as long as the money-train keeps rolling and all "(quote) You don't need a spreadsheet to play this Game(tm)" mandatory 3rd party sites/services are up and play along.
Rest assured though, as soon as any of above starts stalling, they're quick to react and start talking. Very, very quick.

In a sense, you could say "no news is good news" with Frontier.
It just doesn't do alot for Player retention or motivated Store shopping sprees in the long run.
No point in telling them though, it's been tried to make them change things and keep its (sometimes surprisingly) loyal Player base informed in a normal, transparent way.
Their management just doesn't like that. Not one bit. Don't ask why, doesn't make any sense. They're just weird like that ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, after watching some of E3 I realised that I prefer Frontier's decision to only announce something when they are ready and close to release. I know that will be an unpopular opinion here but this is my reason.

Instead of being hyped for an upcoming game announced at E3, and it did look like there were some good up-coming games (e.g. Cyberpunk 2077), I came away disappointed when I realised that I would have to wait for almost a year before I could play something I want to play now.

I actually think for me upcoming games are announced too far in advance as after an initial moment of excitement for a new game, my enthusiasm wanes as a year or more is a long time and my interests may change. I personally think 6 months should be the maximum time period between an announcement and the release.

DDastardly00

D
CD Projekt Red generally doesn't announce release dates on games until they are very far along, which I prefer actually. I guess I can't be too surprised that they announced the Cyberpunk 2077 game today, though it's probably been in development for 3-5 years. They are just getting around to announcing the release date. Most studios don't take this approach and I wish they did.

Likewise with Planet Zoo, that game looks pretty far along so they showed it today. People act like Frontier is holding out on us when that is probably not the case at all, they probably don't have anything ready to show and anything they might have been able to show is too raw for them to actually show. Oh, but they could give us little details and string us along.... for a year plus.....yeah that's not better either, please don't do that Frontier. Waiting will be hard enough already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like frontiers do noting with elite, maybe they just abonded this game?
I verry much love elite, but half of years no any news, only uslees events and some streems, I don't think this game can be alive anymore.
BRABEN PLZ!

They already said nothing's coming till 2020. What else do you need updating with? Though I'd enjoy seeing Will do a one hour of livestream with nothing but - "Yeah, it's still not 2020. Still waiting for then to announce something. <checks watch> Yep, still nothing.".

Im betting that the 2020 update will be a viper Mk4 Ship kit. Im expecting that Frontier are just working really hard on it.
I'd prefer that to fleet carriers.

Top Bottom