General / Off-Topic Re: Immortality

o7 cmdrs

Its only in the last year since I discovered this game and found the joy of being a father that I really really don't want to die. I know the inevitable will eventuality happen but I'm actually really peeved that it will happen. Life is good. I've got wonderful children a good woman and elite dangerous.. I think of Michael's journey through the stars and I feel blessed that I'm able to carry on.. I feel peeved that he was taken at such an early age.. it's not fair.. life can be cruel it can also be kind and I'm gutted it will all end one day. Enjoy it while I can enjoy it I will. Just wanted to share my thoughts as i sit out in the sun at work.. god bless everyone..o7

Since you've opened up and posted some heart-searching stuff, and particularly mentioned immortality, I'd like to respond in kind. This is in no way an attempt to preach at anyone (not something I would want to do in a game forum), but... I take John 3:16 seriously. "God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that whoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life". Yes, I know there are huge arguments and many interpretations about that, but I hang on to it. Moreover, I'm assured that eternal life is good! So it will feature things that are far better than all the good things you've mentioned that you're already blessed with.

Since you've opened up and posted some heart-searching stuff, and particularly mentioned immortality, I'd like to respond in kind. This is in no way an attempt to preach at anyone (not something I would want to do in a game forum), but... I take John 3:16 seriously. "God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that whoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life". Yes, I know there are huge arguments and many interpretations about that, but I hang on to it. Moreover, I'm assured that eternal life is good! So it will feature things that are far better than all the good things you've mentioned that you're already blessed with.
Well said. Thank you. I hope it be true. A better version of elite I look forward to it..

Always believed that when i pop my clogs i'll be happy in the knowledge i have eternity off work, as for the rest well we shall see. Im not a religious man but i do believe in human decency (do unto others). I dont believe though that if there turns out to be an all knowing entity that i will be judged on my attendance , i find being a good person and happy in ones self far more important.

Always believed that when i pop my clogs i'll be happy in the knowledge i have eternity off work, as for the rest well we shall see. Im not a religious man but i do believe in human decency (do unto others). I dont believe though that if there turns out to be an all knowing entity that i will be judged on my attendance , i find being a good person and happy in ones self far more important.
Again, I don't intend to preach, but I can't resist being mischieveous here. Who first said the "do unto others..." thing?

Take a comment or leave it. If a player wants to suggest God in their posts others don't have to agree with them, comment on it or even fear them as they might not agree.This post is talking immortality more than the game which should have been moved to an off-topic sub Forum which is perfectly acceptable. Are any moderators paying attention?

Maybe religion and politics is not the norm for the Forum but so far this has been a positive thread about immortality and what happens after we die will be part of the conversation. Others may comment both for and against a supreme being but so far it has been pretty positive.

As for me whenever one types about God it is always capitalized out of respect for those that believe even if others don't. We on the forum often hate a suggestion another player has made and I will at times debate it vigorously. But I always respect their freedom to express their opinions and NEVER attack them personally. So many others on the Forum haven't figured this out.. Again, are any moderators paying attention?

Positive free speech works for the world and makes us all a little better and wiser. Sometimes it hurts more than helps. But trying to control it versus those with their own political and viewpoints can be much worse.

Sorry if you took offence from my post, it was not intended. As you pointed out this forum is for ED and that was what I meant. Let's hope this gets moved to the correct forum.

Sorry if you took offence from my post, it was not intended. As you pointed out this forum is for ED and that was what I meant. Let's hope this gets moved to the correct forum.
No offense taken. You have your opinion and I have mine. I respect your opinion even if I don't agree. I welcome your argument as long as we never get personal about it. When that happens we no longer move forward to a positive discussion. Let's not go there. Better let's friend on ED and go play.

Last edited:
Again, I don't intend to preach, but I can't resist being mischieveous here. Who first said the "do unto others..." thing?

In the bible Mark 12:31 and Luke 6.31 to 10.27 generally known as "the Golden Rule" started this. Then other passages made it more complicated. Nothing is simple in the bible. I went to Vietnam killing the enemy. I haven't found the passage that absolves me from the basic commandment that, "Thou shall not kill". Patton in WWII thought that he figured it out but then we don't actually know where he ended up in the past life.

Last edited:
Its only in the last year since I discovered this game and found the joy of being a father that I really really don't want to die. I know the inevitable will eventuality happen but I'm actually really peeved that it will happen.
I recently had a 'cardiac event', so I really understand not wanting to die. My biggest fear since the event is how much my death would hurt my wife and family. While I'm not totally at peace with "being done" here on earth, it's really not what keeps me up at night. The thought of my wife being widowed at a relatively young age (I'm actually not that old) has been what haunts my nights lately.

I've started work on a 'care package' for my wife should I go early. There's the obvious things, like making sure she has access to all my passwords and various accounts she'll need to tend to once I'm gone, but I also want to start writing a journal for her, to comfort her, should this disease get worse. This will do me some good as well, as it'll give me something to channel all my emotions.

The funny / sad thing is that I've suffered from depression in the past, even sometimes wrestling with suicidal thoughts. But when that chest pain hit, there was zero doubt in my mind that "I really really don't want to die!" Thankfully I'm still here, and reality is that I might still be here for decades to come, tormenting you all with my EBL issues, LOL. But I've been made painfully aware of my mortality, and now every tiny little pain anywhere near my chest, fatigue or dizziness, I notice it and start thinking, "Is this it?" Researching all this crap on the Internet doesn't help, since all I find are these "worse case scenario" stories which are very depressing. I need to cut that out!

On the other hand, since the event every day is a blessing, and my wife thinks I'm actually happier now than before. I'm not sure about that, but I am trying to be more positive around her to leave her with good memories. I'm also slowly becoming more accepting of my own 'end' of life. As the saying goes, "We all owe God a death." However, I'm hoping he waits a couple more decades before collecting!

I recently had a 'cardiac event', so I really understand not wanting to die. My biggest fear since the event is how much my death would hurt my wife and family. While I'm not totally at peace with "being done" here on earth, it's really not what keeps me up at night. The thought of my wife being widowed at a relatively young age (I'm actually not that old) has been what haunts my nights lately.

I've started work on a 'care package' for my wife should I go early. There's the obvious things, like making sure she has access to all my passwords and various accounts she'll need to tend to once I'm gone, but I also want to start writing a journal for her, to comfort her, should this disease get worse. This will do me some good as well, as it'll give me something to channel all my emotions.

The funny / sad thing is that I've suffered from depression in the past, even sometimes wrestling with suicidal thoughts. But when that chest pain hit, there was zero doubt in my mind that "I really really don't want to die!" Thankfully I'm still here, and reality is that I might still be here for decades to come, tormenting you all with my EBL issues, LOL. But I've been made painfully aware of my mortality, and now every tiny little pain anywhere near my chest, fatigue or dizziness, I notice it and start thinking, "Is this it?" Researching all this crap on the Internet doesn't help, since all I find are these "worse case scenario" stories which are very depressing. I need to cut that out!

On the other hand, since the event every day is a blessing, and my wife thinks I'm actually happier now than before. I'm not sure about that, but I am trying to be more positive around her to leave her with good memories. I'm also slowly becoming more accepting of my own 'end' of life. As the saying goes, "We all owe God a death." However, I'm hoping he waits a couple more decades before collecting!
Thank you for sharing that. I too have a few cardiac issues every now and again.. while they are not the attack type they are of the palpitation type and when my heart starts bouncing around in my chest I think.. is it going to stop.. is this going to lead to something worse.. they are few and far between of recent times but when they do strike its bleeding scary. im far too young to go, I need at least another 60 years before he collects from me..

Top Bottom