Concerns about any upcoming Base Building

Have they already announced any details we can discuss and I missed it?

Of course not. Just the usual speculation.

However, from what OP wrote, i think he is going to be majorly dissapointed.

He talks about defendning your base... oh boy, if the bases actually need defending i will well... eat a sock.

Personally I would prefer they just allowed us to place beacons with messages which we can lock onto if we return one day, and focus more on game play and variety of things to see.

Instead of acquiring things which are useful, and finding increasingly complex or demanding ways to play with them, everything you acquire or set out to do in Elite feels more like opening a savings account or checking off boxes on a scavenger hunt. The materials have no purpose or meaning until you have enough of everything to “buy” your desired item, which then appears fully formed and complete. There is no sense of building, accumulation, or (for me anyway) accomplishment. Every system in Elite is a piggy bank, a blank void into which you stuff resources until you have enough to “craft” (but really buy) a new weapon/module/ammunition/whatever, at which point the resources are gone forever and can never be repurposed, reclaimed, or exchanged. I personally find this tremendously unrewarding and depressing, because until the exact moment when you finally click the synthesis/upgrade/buy/unlock button, it doesn’t feel like you are actually DOING anything. It doesn’t add to the game it just feels like a convoluted version of Waiting.

First off ...nailed that! I think that's one of the best critiques of grind in ED I've seen. ED isn't the only game guilty of it (and it's becoming more common sadly) but this paragraph, for me, perfectly defines 'grind' as opposed to a well designed, engaging upgrade mechanic.

One issue with base building, possibly an issue with anything that makes a noticeable difference to the galaxy in this new update, is ...how does it affect the players who don't buy the update? We know this update will be a paid expansion, and even based on the speculation we've had so far the player community (as they are on many things) seem to be split on whether or not they want it. At the very least I'm sure there'll be a large number of players who hold off getting the update until they see evidence of how it works and looks - and how stable, or buggy, it is.

Whatever the update brings the new features will have to sit comfortably in what will, I believe, be a divided galaxy between 'haves' & 'have-nots' after the update.

Be nice to have a home on a rock, just to store stuff and maybe a bit of automated surface mining.

No defence will be required as the chances of someone stumbling into your system would be 0.004% and finding the right moon around the right gas giant? 0.0000002% :)

Basically you will just be a lonely rock hermit

First off ...nailed that! I think that's one of the best critiques of grind in ED I've seen. ED isn't the only game guilty of it (and it's becoming more common sadly) but this paragraph, for me, perfectly defines 'grind' as opposed to a well designed, engaging upgrade mechanic.

One issue with base building, possibly an issue with anything that makes a noticeable difference to the galaxy in this new update, is ...how does it affect the players who don't buy the update? We know this update will be a paid expansion, and even based on the speculation we've had so far the player community (as they are on many things) seem to be split on whether or not they want it. At the very least I'm sure there'll be a large number of players who hold off getting the update until they see evidence of how it works and looks - and how stable, or buggy, it is.

Whatever the update brings the new features will have to sit comfortably in what will, I believe, be a divided galaxy between 'haves' & 'have-nots' after the update.
It need not affect the players without the update at all, other than being one more new thing they can’t participate in. I don’t see how any of the have/not divisions could possibly be more game-breaking or obnoxious than the ones we already have with Engineers and to a lesser extent guardian modules. If those differences are A-OK, I think base building can exist within those same bounds without exacerbating the problem any further. I guess maybe you’re asking whether Vanilla players would be able to see and land on upgraded players’ bases? Ideally I’d like vanilla players to be able to see and maybe visit these bases, but if this is a no-go then why not require player bases to only be built on a new type of previously unlandable planet, such as atmospheric worlds?

It need not affect the players without the update at all, other than being one more new thing they can’t participate in. I don’t see how any of the have/not divisions could possibly be more game-breaking or obnoxious than the ones we already have with Engineers and to a lesser extent guardian modules. If those differences are A-OK, I think base building can exist within those same bounds without exacerbating the problem any further. I guess maybe you’re asking whether Vanilla players would be able to see and land on upgraded players’ bases? Ideally I’d like vanilla players to be able to see and maybe visit these bases, but if this is a no-go then why not require player bases to only be built on a new type of previously unlandable planet, such as atmospheric worlds?
Yes, I was more thinking about whether player bases would even be visible to players without the update. We're assuming they'd be ground bases, but there might be small space installations too, who knows? Similarly if Space Legs introduces things like AI vehicles on planets, NPCs and players visible on stations or planets, would they be visible to non-updated players? Would a vanilla player in a ship be able to attack Space-Legged players on the surface, and vice versa?

If we do get base building, I kind of hope it is grindy. It can be a long term goal in the game that can be returned to from time to time after doing other things. Although if I have to personally defend it, that is going to be a tad restrictive!

I think this in the realm of the hyperthetical at best but if for the sake of argument we were to assume such a feature is coming I'd apply the following questions:
  • What non-repetitive gameplay value is derived from such a feature?
  • How does it effect/impact the ED galaxy?

My concern is that FD doesn't have the design and infrastructure yet to allow for persistent bases. For a bad example, see Fallout 76. For a working though limited example, see Planetside2. My guess is that bases will either be rather temporary, or FD needs to ditch P2P for certain areas of the game to allow for persistent bases to be attackable and defendable online.
Yeah, this would be my instinct too. Also, thousands of players generating persistent, complex structures in a shared environment? They can't even give us sufficient bookmarks. :) Some have mentioned Subnautica - I've managed to bring the game to a crawl on an RTX 2080 with my base (in VR admittedly). I'm prepared to eat my words, but I'd be very surprised.

People keep talking about "attacking" and "defending" bases. Sorry, but that's simply not going to happen with ED's architecture. How is a PC player going to "defend" their base from assault by a PS4 group? I suspect any "bases" we're allowed to build will be purely personal - no-one else will be able to see, interact with or visit "your" base; anyone that tries will simply find a barren, empty planet. At most, your wingmates might be able to join you.

People keep talking about "attacking" and "defending" bases. Sorry, but that's simply not going to happen with ED's architecture.

Yeah, I've mentioned this a few times when it's come up, but I'd be really surprised if we gotta defend them (beyond guns preventing someone hogging a pad). Galaxy too big, people won't be online at the same time, I doubt it'll be destructable, etc etc. That's just based on how the game seems to work, I don't really have a guess otherwise as to what the bases even will be.

EDIT: Okay, actually my guess is it'll be a thing for some personal expression, and a place to store things. No BGS, no base defense, etc, though it could be a setting for some combat. It just wouldn't be a fight for the base or something that'd destroy important bits of the base.

The idea of base building in ED should be incredibly exciting, find a lone planet out there somewhere, claim it as your own and defend your little patch of the ED galaxy! If the recent leaks are to be believed then this is a feature on its way to us and that should be a reason to be excited but I can't help but feel it will be underwhelming and I hate to say that.

FD's track record for grind, especially when it comes to materials and recipes indicates that Base Building is dead in the water already, I can't see FD releasing the update and the base modules being accessible, I fear we'll have to endure yet another grind-fest in order to build a simple shell, then get back to it to add a door, or life support, or lighting. I understand the need to craft and gather materials but I'm worried FD will again push this to the extreme and block out the causal or time-strapped player trying to get ahead, such as myself.

Is anyone else concerned about this? Anyone have any ideas on how FD should/could do this in a player-friendly way? I would love to hear your thoughts.

My only concern would be the possibility that any upgrades to the station would happen on a weekly basis. Maybe I wouldnt mind if it were upgradable real-time for the client-side game and them weekly for the public, but I'd feel better if they found a better way to solve it.

In general I look forward to it, building stations in KSP got me hooked, and those arent easy to make either. I hope whatever grind they have planned is at least rewarding.

Be nice to have a home on a rock, just to store stuff and maybe a bit of automated surface mining.

No defence will be required as the chances of someone stumbling into your system would be 0.004% and finding the right moon around the right gas giant? 0.0000002% :)

Basically you will just be a lonely rock hermit

It's not just that.

The possibility that somebody in, say, Solo mode or a PG - or even just in a different instance - could attack your base and you'd be powerless to prevent it means that it's seriously unlikely to be an option.

I'm not sure why people are so keen to believe leaks about base building or space legs etc, when features that were announced through official channels haven't made an appearance yet.

I'll believe we're getting bases and the like after ice planets get their overhaul and fleet carriers arrive.

All I see now is speculation and wishful thinking that is going to leave people disappointed. Not all leaks are real, and even if something were planned for the leaked stuff it might never happen.

What do you mean? Space legs has been officially talked about from pretty much the very start.

The ice planet overhaul and fleet carriers aren't any more like to come in the 2020 update, FD never told us when they might make it into the game. Might as well be after 2020.

What do you mean? Space legs has been officially talked about from pretty much the very start.

The ice planet overhaul and fleet carriers aren't any more like to come in the 2020 update, FD never told us when they might make it into the game. Might as well be after 2020.
Is way more likely to come before mythic leg integration.

Top Bottom