DCS World News 2017

Not interested in the Hornet. Is ugly in my eyes - but the F16 might be different. Also: got the F14 already so I have no need for double tailfinner. And gotta learn to fly F14 too now. Already intrigued with the flight computer. Looks more user friendly than A10C computer, but maybe I'm just old.

Goose4291

Banned
Never thought I would see the day! Definitely will be buying the F-16, also, is that a new map in this video?

We're getting a Syria (NE Med) map.

Should be fun.

Also, pace is gathering on the Carriers DLC: https://www.twomoreweeks.net/dcs-carrier-back-on-track/

And Razbam's work on the south Atlantic map is continuing to look good.

61060121_2237763659643593_4864829054391418880_o.jpg

Sounds like I need to get a proper carrier jet. :) Well I have the SU-33 but the more I fly the A-10 the more I like the clickable cockpit.

Honestly, as daunting as it may originally feel to a new player, I find clickable cockpits infinitely easier to play with. There's no way I'd remember every stupid ctrl-shift-key or alt-ctrl-key combos for the various machines and systems, when cockpit buttons at least make some sense after a bit of familiarising. Instruments and buttons have labels, units, and are grouped together in specific ways. There's no way I'd be able to cold start the Huey or simply use the radio system from keyboard shortcuts (turn on radio, select mode, select band, fine tune, adjust volume, at least 9 shortcuts just there...), but give me the cockpit and I'll find my way.

Honestly, as daunting as it may originally feel to a new player, I find clickable cockpits infinitely easier to play with. There's no way I'd remember every stupid ctrl-shift-key or alt-ctrl-key combos for the various machines and systems, when cockpit buttons at least make some sense after a bit of familiarising. Instruments and buttons have labels, units, and are grouped together in specific ways. There's no way I'd be able to cold start the Huey or simply use the radio system from keyboard shortcuts (turn on radio, select mode, select band, fine tune, adjust volume, at least 9 shortcuts just there...), but give me the cockpit and I'll find my way.

Well I guess you could say I had that "oh....now I get it" revelation recently. After taking some time to learn how the TACAN and ILS works in the A-10 I jumped into the F-15 for a quick ride. (I now know the navigation with FC3 jets are simplified) I looked down at the navigation panel and said.....Why can't I click on that to program it? I have the numbers right here. I like the F-15 but it was a bit disappointing.

Goose4291

Banned
F-16 is available to pre-order on Steam.

Aye, just like with F-14 Steam users can now pre-purchase the Viper! Also, new Focke-Wulf 190 A-8 is out:

DCS newsletter:
Header2019_720-EN.jpg

Download and enjoy the Anton from DCS e-shop.

The Fw 190 A-8 is our next entry into our line of warbirds for DCS World War II! Designed for the German Luftwaffe by famed aircraft designer Kurt Tank in the late-1930s, the Fw 190 was the backbone of the Luftwaffe in both fighter and attack bomber roles. Powered by a large radial engine, the A version of the Focke-Wulf 190 was superior in many ways to the Bf 109s and Spitfires at the time of its introduction. In fact, this led to the development of the Mk.IX version of the Spitfire. The Spitfire LF Mk.IX and the Fw 190 A-8 make excellent counterparts for DCS World. The Fw 190 later evolved into the Fw 190 D-9, also available on DCS World.
Many of the Luftwaffe’s aces racked up their impressive kill counts in the Fw 190 A due to its impressive fire power, excellent low to medium altitude performance, durability, and ease of flying. It saw action on both the eastern and western fronts where it was both respected and feared by allied pilots. Armament included two fuselage-mounted 13 mm MG 131 machine guns and four wing-mounted MG 151/20E 20 mm cannons. The aircraft could also be loaded with unguided rockets and bombs.
The A-8 version of the Fw 190 entered production in February 1944, and it was powered by a BMW 801 D-2 radial engine. In addition to excellent low- and medium-altitude performance, the engine was also very rugged. Along with the F-8 version, it also had thicker armor around the engine. The engine also received the C3 injection system that provided an emergency boost of 1,980 PS in short durations.
Key features of the DCS: Fw 190 A-8
  • Unmatched flight physics that allow you to truly feel what it's like to fly this legend.
  • Highly detailed, six-degrees-of-freedom (6 DOF) cockpit.
  • Interact with cockpit controls with your mouse.
  • Accurate Fw 190 A-8 model, squadron markings, and weapons.
  • Detailed modelling the Fw 190 A-8 instruments, weapons, engine, radios, fuel, and electrical systems.
  • Battle the Spitfire LF Mk.IX and P-51D Mustang in single and multiplayer games.
DCS: F-16C Viper Pre-Order on Steam
Pre-order the DCS: F-16C Viper on Steam today and save 20%.
Pre-order on Steam.

The F-16C is a single seat, single engine multirole fighter that was developed in the 1970s. More than 4,500 units were manufactured and are operated today by 26 countries where the aircraft performs numerous missions that include air superiority, close air support, precision bombing, air defense suppression, reconnaissance and more. Few other aircraft can match its versatility, maneuverability, firepower, and huge production numbers.
DCS-F-16-Steam.png

Nicknamed the Viper by its pilots, the F-16 was designed with a reclined seating position for high G tolerance and a single-piece bubble canopy for exceptional visibility and comfort. Its lightweight and powerful F-110-GE-129 engine provides a greater than 1:1 thrust ratio. Housed in the nose of the Viper is a multifunction APG-68(V)5 radar. The aircraft can also be equipped with multiple sensors such as the Litening targeting pod and HARM Targeting System (HTS).
The Viper is armed for air-to-air combat with Sidewinders, AMRAAMs, and an internal 20mm 6-barrel Gatling gun. It can also be loaded with a wide range of air-to-ground weapons that include general purpose bombs, rockets, canister munitions, Mavericks, laser- and GPS-guided bombs, and more. The F-16 provides endless gameplay in DCS World
DCS World Open Beta Update
This week we updated the Open Beta with the two primary items being the addition of the Fw 190 A-8 to DCS World and adjusting network code to better handle large number of units in a mission. Other highlights of this week’s Open Beta update include:
  • Initial, work-in-progress wing tip vortices wakes was added. This must be enabled from Options
  • Cleaned up a video rendering memory leak
  • Improved AI taxi AI around obstacles
  • Radio altimeter now accounts for when the aircraft is over a ship
  • New sonic boom sound effects
  • Added ZBD-04A IFV as part of China Assets Pack
  • Carrier lights now illuminate in overcast conditions
  • A-10C: fixed trim yaw with SAS disengaged
  • UH-1H: door gunners no longer try to shoot through buildings to hit targets
  • F/A-18C: HARM guidance fixed when target lock is lost, JDAM maximum range circle calculation fixed, corrected hidden SAM unit displayed on SA page, EW symbols displayed to A/A radar format, PRECISE mode for waypoint entry via the HSI, fixed AGM-88 motor alignment, FEDS cue for A/A gun in training mode, BATR cue for A/A gun HUD, and updated RWR and HARM threat codes to be more realistic. Most Hornet new features like JSOW and MSI for LTWS will be for next week.
  • Combined Arms: Fixed tank destroyer hull alignment when engaging, gun positions synchronized in network play, re-arming times adjusted for several units, AI routing through buildings adjusted, fixed SA-13 aiming.
  • Numerous third-party aircraft fixes, adjustments and new features for the AV-8B, MiG-19, F-14B, C-101, AJS-37 Viggen, and MiG-21bis.
  • Updates to seven campaigns.
Please see the complete change log here.
Sincerely,
The Eagle Dynamics Team

Personally I will be skipping the A-8 variant as I already fly (poorly) the much better Dora one.

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D
What's a good plane for a beginner, after I've tried the free module?

What's a good plane for a beginner, after I've tried the free module?

I went with the Flaming Cliffs 3 pack. Not too expensive and you get a variety of Russian and American aircraft......including the F-15. The FC3 pack doesn't have clickable cockpits and somewhat simplified aircraft systems. Radar, ILS and start up procedures. Couple clicks and you can get the jet running and in the air. As opposed to the A-10C pack that I got that has a list of things to just start up. So I'd say get the FC3 pack. Plus you get a Russian aircraft carrier to practice with.

Btw....even though the FC3 jets are simplified they still have a top quality flight model and just as lethal in combat as the more complicated modules......the F-15 for example

Goose4291

Banned
I went with the Flaming Cliffs 3 pack. Not too expensive and you get a variety of Russian and American aircraft......including the F-15. The FC3 pack doesn't have clickable cockpits and somewhat simplified aircraft systems. Radar, ILS and start up procedures. Couple clicks and you can get the jet running and in the air. As opposed to the A-10C pack that I got that has a list of things to just start up. So I'd say get the FC3 pack. Plus you get a Russian aircraft carrier to practice with.

Btw....even though the FC3 jets are simplified they still have a top quality flight model and just as lethal in combat as the more complicated modules......the F-15 for example

I have to say I agree with this. I think FC3 is a good gateway DLC for you to find your preferred air combat niche.

After that I would say the Harrier is a good DLC

FC3 is cheap and will give you a good taste of a fair few planes. They're not the high-end models with clickable cockpits, but it's a great set to start imho. After that, there's no real answer, a "good" module is one for a plane/helo you like and want to learn. If you have no particular fancy, try and find out if you're into ww2 planes, early jets, modern jets, helos, air-to-air, air-to-ground, carrier-based operations, etc. Based on that we can give you options.

Deleted member 110222

D
I'd be lying if I said the Harrier doesn't interest me. I live at the Portsomuth Harbour waterside so I was seeing carriers for much of my childhood. Not to mention my grandad was RN and part of his career was on a carrier. Many stories from the flight deck.

Goose4291

Banned
I'd be lying if I said the Harrier doesn't interest me. I live at the Portsomuth Harbour waterside so I was seeing carriers for much of my childhood. Not to mention my grandad was RN and part of his career was on a carrier. Many stories from the flight deck.

Word of warning: Its an AB-8B they've modelled, not a FA, FRS or GR Harrier sadly.

If you scroll back a few pages, I've shared a few pics from the DCS South Atlantic expansion that's in the works (modern era Falklands map with most of the RN and RFA Fleets represented.

Deleted member 110222

D
Word of warning: Its an AB-8B they've modelled, not a FA, FRS or GR Harrier sadly.

If you scroll back a few pages, I've shared a few pics from the DCS South Atlantic expansion that's in the works (modern era Falklands map with most of the RN and RFA Fleets represented.
That's actually okay.

While I grew up seeing RN hardware on the water, at an academic level I've always found the AV-8B to be more interesting. Maybe it's the exotic-factor, IDK.

The Harrier is a pretty unique experience. Motorbike on wheels with a jet engine that has strapped a seat in front for the general airplane feel. A hog trying to be helo in vtol. Tho I like to faff around with the jet exhaust while manouvering.
Good mix of payloads. Accessible systems - not too complicated. Low fuel. Difficult refuel in air.

Harrier might be an interesting pick up when it's on sale. Which I saw somebody mention the summer sale might be at the end of this month around the time of the summer Steam sale. :)

Top Bottom