Notice A statement on cheating in Elite Dangerous.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
There are bots that run powerplay merits 24/7 on both sides and were developed by the cheat dev I wrote about. They had a whole section of the discord dedicated to automation. Think about how much work a team of cutter running merits 24/7 on a multiboxed machine could do.

Ah, well, if we are bringing bots into it, then yes. I wasn't aware we had crossed over into discussion of people running bots.

Are you kidding? One dedicated cheater could do the work of several pilots. Take a conflict zone, for example. Crank up your lasers and smoke all the NPCs you need in moments. Rinse and repeat without ever needing to return to base.

Use your head and stop downplaying like this.

Is there really that much difference between someone running a cheat and someone flying a Corvette PvE death machine? Its one of the reasons i don't fly the big ships for combat, it feels like cheating. Wreck ships in seconds, little risk of damage. As i said, some advantage, but how much difference does it really cause for a CZ?

I mean, you're a PvPer right? Isn't one of the common statements from PvPers regarding the reason they do PvP is that PvE is too easy?

It's only my opinion. But just remember that it was inevitable. Open competition always lures the wrong side of the crowd. Hackers and cheaters were fated to come.
I think the "trainer" (cheat program) for Elite has been around for years. There never was much noise about it though.

I think the "trainer" (cheat program) for Elite has been around for years. There never was much noise about it though.
The trainer wasn't as freely available as it is now. I don't know when this happend, but before the trainer was only available in closed groups.

Is there really that much difference between someone running a cheat and someone flying a Corvette PvE death machine? Its one of the reasons i don't fly the big ships for combat, it feels like cheating. Wreck ships in seconds, little risk of damage. As i said, some advantage, but how much difference does it really cause for a CZ?

I mean, you're a PvPer right? Isn't one of the common statements from PvPers regarding the reason they do PvP is that PvE is too easy?

PvP is hardly the only part of my game and that question here is totally irrelevant.

Conflict zones are much tougher these days. They also have secondary objectives that are worth completing. A cheater would have an unfair advantage over a non cheater, period.

To downplay it like you are is pathetic.

ryan_m

Banned

You can literally one-shot NPCs with these cheats, so yeah, there's a pretty big difference. If you can kill 5x faster than another comparable ship, you can do 5x as much work in the same amount of time.

PvE is easy if you're looking at it through the lens of a single fight. Mowing down NPCs requires absolutely zero real thought after a while and gets boring incredibly quickly. That's the reason people move to PvP, for a challenge based on combat skill between players, not who can spend more time shooting NPCs.

It really is disheartening to see you try and minimize this across 20 pages because I know you know the impact.

ryan_m

Banned
But who is actually helping and by what? The way I see it the ball is all in FDev's corner now: The most popular cheat software is easily available, all they need to do now is to analyze this "Trainer" and find a way to defeat it. Or alternatively prove their incompetency/lukewarmness/talking bonkers about their anti-cheat measurements. It's their choice (and chance!) now, nothing to help here anymore from our side.

The community can continue to bring awareness to it by commenting and spreading the information around. Saying something once and then going "well, I said it now the ball is in their court" isn't a great way to get things changed.

I can't help but notice that some of the same people in this thread who have historically moaned

PvP is toxic, awful behavior done by toxic, awful people!! Frontier needs to BAN THEM ALL!!!

Are now taking the position of

Hackers are going to hack, and there's nothing that anyone can do about it. And it isn't like they ruin YOUR day, so what's the problem?

ryan_m

Banned
Not in my reality. Nagging about a certain issue over and over again has produced the illusion at best that it has helped when finally they came up with a solution, often years later. Just look at the 'beigification drama'. Do you really think it was this mega thread that finally has encouraged them to do something about it? Certain people certainly love to think it has, but... Do you still remember how long this case actually lasted?

In actual reality, keeping up awareness is literally the most effective way to get something changed. Feel free to move on to another thread, mate. This one isn't even in Dangerous Discussion. Super easy for you to avoid.

Thanks for the confirmation you're not here to help. Now your posts can be understood in their proper context!
Yes, I'm sorry for the rude reply. I got carried away.
But returning to your previous post:
I'm calling it like I see it. Hit "screw it" ages ago. If that bothers you, buck up.
To that end, do you have any feedback to actually help fix the problem? Or is all you have a white flag?
I did previously try to help with my opinion on how to play the game while this "cheaters' curse" endures:
He was probably speaking of PP and BGS cumulative effects. But that's just rubbish. It's the worst part of Elite. The flaw inherited from other MMOs. The mindless competition in open, against people that you don't know. There's a hidden click inside the minds of these players, and they just don't know how to play without it.
I'll say this a thousand times if needed: private group PvP. Create one with your friends. Like a table-top role playing session. And don't forget the beer and snacks.
Feel free to trash it again if you like.
But to many others that feel unsure about playing ED while this situation occurs, maybe my opinion has some value.

Deleted member 110222

D
Yes, I'm sorry for the rude reply. I got carried away.
But returning to your previous post:

I did previously try to help with my opinion on how to play the game while this "cheaters' curse" endures:

Feel free to trash it again if you like.
But to many others that feel unsure about playing ED while this situation occurs, maybe my opinion has some value.
PG PvP doesn't work.

I'm a pirate. The point is to hit players with a certain degree of shock.

Get over it. That's how PvP is meant to work in games like ED.

The trainer wasn't as freely available as it is now. I don't know when this happend, but before the trainer was only available in closed groups.
That's probably true, but as far as my own "research" revealed, it existed before ED turned 64 bit (if I understand it right), because for some reason there is a gap between some 32-bit version that apparently wouldn't work on the newer 64-bit version, and an updated version didn't come out until last year. So there was probably a few years when the "trainer" didn't work. Now, don't take it as me being expert on this. I never used it myself, but this is the little I could find when digging through the stacks of google links... :D

I was fairly surprised how easily available this 'trainer' still is. Just goggle for "Elite dangerous trainer 2019". I would have to switch off my addblocker to download it which I didn't, so I just have to assume it still works. Apparently they feel no urge to hide their side from the public. I would take this as a blatant provocation if I'd be in Frontier's shoes...
I think when I did my own research, they had a version up to the Elite version before last patch.

A method FDev could use to circumvent trainers is to release a new patch with small changes to the location and code relating to the features that are hacked. It does take a few days before a new hack shows up usually, so it becomes a chase, making it almost useless for the cheaters to wait for the new trainer once a week. Also, FDev could start adding some encryption tech to some of the data, perhaps even use unique keys per installation (lic-code based maybe), so the trainer can't easily encode the cheats. But even then, there's no guarantee for hackers to find a way. Seen it many times in the past.

They are still connected, its not offline. They just can't affect anything. People say real offline is impossible, i doubt that, but in this case its not offline. They still communicate with the servers, and if truly offline

FD can't condone any modification of files for modding unless they have tested it first and given it the ok. Like with the hacks, who knows if it will have any knock on effect?

Regardless, if someone really wants to cheat and affect the BGS, they can just use a new account.
I know its not actually offline, but the effect is, as if it is offline. If anything that a player does in this perma-ban mode can't change, affect, or influence the main game, then what is the point of not allowing modding? I would love to see a vibrant modding community grow up around Elite like it has with games like Skyrim. Its the modding community that has kept games like that alive and flourishing way past their used by date. Just to be clear (because I know someone will say it), I know Elite hasn't reached its used by date, but I could see so much more growth with the help of a modding community, particularly in a mode that was offline or acted in that way. There is no statement that this mode is in anyway connected to the main game. That is, until stated otherwise, it is just an assumption.

Hypothesis.
2020 is a new full game, full price including all current features with a few add ons.
2020 is central server, with anti-cheat protections.
2020 will include character migration.

FDEV will ignore the current game model and offer no updates to it after 2020.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom