Any rumblings from FD about allowing the FSS to be used while moving?

Even more so now with the Supercruise Assistant being added to the game, is there any rumblings from FD that you'll be able to "explore" a system (using the FSS) while making good/wise use of your valuable time supercruising to a destination in a system?

eg: You arrive in a new system, use the FSS to identify a few objects, and then realising you want to surface scan one, you then set off towards it (using the Supercruise Assistant?) while then returning to the FSS to use your valuable time exploring/identifying other remaining objects in the system.

Surely being able to stack mechanics and functionality is where the game needs to go to give choices and depth etc?

PS: And let's not even start on Multicrew where a crew member may want to use the FSS, while the Pilot may want to fly to a location...?

EDIT: Suggestion - While in the FSS, you work on the fixed copy of the scan data taken when entering the FSS? So although you may be moving in Supercruise, the view you have and are working with in the FSS is from the (stationary) position you were at when you entered the FSS (& the scan was performed). Not where you are currently? And the same would apply to Multicrew. So if a crew member enters the FSS, the view is frozen from the location when they entered into the FSS (when the scan data was taken). If the Pilot then wants to fly around while the crew member uses the FSS.... Voila!

Last edited:
But it sucks.

I think whats going on there is the rest of the game is still going while youre in the fss. Proven by kicking off the fss after a hard stop facing a star, you'll see it keep moving glowing through the fss.

This means the blobs will be moving too.. and dramatically at close range. Must have thought it would have made the fss even worse if the blobs didnt sit still.

But it sucks.

I think whats going on there is the rest of the game is still going while youre in the fss. Proven by kicking off the fss after a hard stop facing a star, you'll see it keep moving glowing through the fss.

This means the blobs will be moving too.. and dramatically at close range. Must have thought it would have made the fss even worse if the blobs didnt sit still.

Yup, but at the same time isn't that easily remedied by letting the player use their throttle in the FSS view?

But it sucks.

This.

On the one hand it would propably not be easier if all the blobs run away from you. On the other hand \o/ for skill based minigames :D

But it sucks.

Surely two simple solutions? Either:-
1) Simplest of all! - While in the FSS, you work on the fixed copy of the scan data taken when entering the FSS? So although you may be moving in Supercruise, the view you have and are working with in the FSS is from the (stationary) position you were at when you entered the FSS (& the scan was performed). Not where you are currently?
2) While in the FSS, the view adjusts according to your Supercruise Speed and what direction you're pointing at in the FSS? So if you're point at an object side on to your direction of travel, the view simply automatically pans/tracks to keep it in the same location.

(1) Seems an obvious/simple solution to me?! And the same would apply to Multicrew. So if a crew member enters the FSS, the view is frozen from the location when they entered into the FSS (when the scan data was taken). If the Pilot then wants to fly around while the crew member uses the FSS.... Voila!

Last edited:
Anything over what? 100kls? is going to appear to be stationary regardless of velocity, the situation where you need to travel 600kls or further movement due you travelling is going to be a non issue.

Surely two simple solutions? Either:-
1) Simplest of all! - While in the FSS, you work on the fixed copy of the scan data taken when entering the FSS? So although you may be moving in Supercruise, the view you have and are working with in the FSS is from the (stationary) position you were at when you entered the FSS (& the scan was performed). Not where you are currently?
2) While in the FSS, the view adjusts according to your Supercruise Speed and what direction you're pointing at in the FSS? So if you're point at an object side on to your direction of travel, the view simply automatically pans/tracks to keep it in the same location.

(1) Seems an obvious/simple solution to me?! And the same would apply to Multicrew. So if a crew member enters the FSS, the view is frozen from the location when they entered into the FSS (when the scan data was taken). If the Pilot then wants to fly around while the crew member uses the FSS.... Voila!

Brilliant solutions to your problem. Ive been dreamfixing the fss for over 6 months now? :) My sincere wishes of good luck to you.

But it sucks.

This. Not sure why posts like OP keep popping up. With the fss as it is you cannot use it at any serious speed. At all.

The FSS isn't a snapshot of the system, you can actually see stuff moving, and it can even be hard to track due to relative movement.
Go to Mitterland(?) Hollow to see it.

Therefore, I see no reason to not allow us to use the FSS while moving, and give us basic throttle control in the FSS, so if something is getting hard to track, we can chose to slow down to scan it.

It's then entirely our own fault if we fly in to a neutron star while using the FSS.
It's no different to flying in to a planet because you was reading galnet.. :p

Done!

This. Not sure why posts like OP keep popping up. With the fss as it is you cannot use it at any serious speed. At all.
If you read the OP there is a simple proposed solution to allow the FSS to be used while supercruising in a system, thus giving more depth and variety to explorers, and, giving Multicrew some much needed functionality.

Even more so now with the Supercruise Assistant being added to the game, is there any rumblings from FD that you'll be able to "explore" a system (using the FSS) while making good/wise use of your valuable time supercruising to a destination in a system?

eg: You arrive in a new system, use the FSS to identify a few objects, and then realising you want to surface scan one, you then set off towards it (using the Supercruise Assistant?) while then returning to the FSS to use your valuable time exploring/identifying other remaining objects in the system.

Surely being able to stack mechanics and functionality is where the game needs to go to give choices and depth etc?

PS: And let's not even start on Multicrew where a crew member may want to use the FSS, while the Pilot may want to fly to a location...?

EDIT: Suggestion - While in the FSS, you work on the fixed copy of the scan data taken when entering the FSS? So although you may be moving in Supercruise, the view you have and are working with in the FSS is from the (stationary) position you were at when you entered the FSS (& the scan was performed). Not where you are currently? And the same would apply to Multicrew. So if a crew member enters the FSS, the view is frozen from the location when they entered into the FSS (when the scan data was taken). If the Pilot then wants to fly around while the crew member uses the FSS.... Voila!

I've used the FSS while moving at multiples of the speed of light before. The trick is to take advantage of the mass lock effect when you're approaching a planet too fast. Here's a video from when I was first messing around with it:

As you can see, what you'll see in the FSS is updated live. But at present, it has limited utility, because you barely have enough time to scan one moon (assuming you line it up before hand) before you reach automatic resolve range. Finally, if you pay close attention, you'll see that when I enter the SOI of the gas giant, my point of view resets to forward. Tried this trick again two nights ago, and while I managed to resolve two moons before auto-resolve kicked in, rapidly passing between various spheres of influence (star-gas giant-moon-gas giant-moon-gas giant-star) made this effect extremely noticeable. Also very annoying, especially in VR.

Which IMO is why they decided to force the throttle down in the first place. Still, there's no technical reason why we shouldn't be able to use the FSS while on the moon. Just an aesthetic one.

Simple. Because I'd rather be able to use the FSS on the move, no matter how difficult, than be forced to stop in order to use it at all. Let me make that decision. There's several non-standard uses for the FSS that I'd like to be able to do, but they only make sense to do while moving.

I've used the FSS while moving at multiples of the speed of light before. The trick is to take advantage of the mass lock effect when you're approaching a planet too fast. Here's a video from when I was first messing around with it:

As you can see, what you'll see in the FSS is updated live. But at present, it has limited utility, because you barely have enough time to scan one moon (assuming you line it up before hand) before you reach automatic resolve range. Finally, if you pay close attention, you'll see that when I enter the SOI of the gas giant, my point of view resets to forward. Tried this trick again two nights ago, and while I managed to resolve two moons before auto-resolve kicked in, rapidly passing between various spheres of influence (star-gas giant-moon-gas giant-moon-gas giant-star) made this effect extremely noticeable. Also very annoying, especially in VR.

Which IMO is why they decided to force the throttle down in the first place. Still, there's no technical reason why we shouldn't be able to use the FSS while on the moon. Just an aesthetic one.
To clarify I'm not overlooking something? You're getting into the FSS while supercruising through a "back door" there? ie: Typically the FSS prevents you entering it if you are not stations/zero throttle does it not?

Second, the suggestion in the OP?

To clarify I'm not overlooking something? You're getting into the FSS while supercruising through a "back door" there? ie: Typically the FSS prevents you entering it if you are not stations/zero throttle does it not?

Second, the suggestion in the OP?
Not so much a back door, but a quirk of Witchspace physics in Supercruise. The reason why our ships will overshoot planets if we don't throttle down by about six seconds out is that planets don't have a big enough mass lock to slow us down compared to their primary star. If you approach a planet and throttle down at five seconds, it takes you about four times as long to come to a stop, relative to doing the same in deep space. Less than twenty seconds, as opposed to five. Just enough time for me to experiment with using the FSS while on the move, but not enough time for it to be actually useful.

As for your suggestion, there's no reason for it, because the FSS can be used on the move, even at multiples of the speed of light. It works fine, with no real issues. Throttling down in order to use it is an artificial limitation to the FSS imposed by Frontier, not a technical limitation of the FSS imposed by the game engine. There's no reason for it to exist besides "it's hard to do" and, as I've recently discovered, "it can be annoying in certain circumstances."

As for your suggestion, there's no reason for it, because the FSS can be used on the move, even at multiples of the speed of light. It works fine, with no real issues. Throttling down in order to use it is an artificial limitation to the FSS imposed by Frontier, not a technical limitation of the FSS imposed by the game engine. There's no reason for it to exist besides "it's hard to do" and, as I've recently discovered, "it can be annoying in certain circumstances."
So why is the limitation even in there then? Why don't FD just remove the zero throttle limitation to entering the FSS? Especially now we have the Supercruise Assistant?

Not heard anything and neither am I that bothered. I will likely throttle down to use it anyway as going at high speeds while using it will be extremely difficult, unless it takes a snap shot of the system, but that doesn't make much sense.

I'd vote for removing the restriction, also. I'd prefer to choose my own throttle speed and decide for myself what's useful, thanks. I think I can handle it :)

So why is the limitation even in there then? Why don't FD just remove the zero throttle limitation to entering the FSS? Especially now we have the Supercruise Assistant?

Already been answered, the 30 km/s (10,800km/h) limitation is due to it being difficult to scan at higher velocities, also keep in mind above 30 km/s the ship will continue to accelerate. 30km/s (is the only stable velocity in SC until you reach 2001c)

I too would like the option of at least viewing the FSS whilst on the move, frontier support would most likely want to avoid the flurry of support tickets from new (and old) Cmdrs complaining that the FSS is unusable at velocities higher than 30km/s.

I can just imagine the forum posts

'I can't scan bodies in a system, they are constantly moving' Thousands of examples on this forum with cmdrs not understanding something that seems very basic to the rest of us. Can only imagine what the support inbox looks like.

I'd vote for removing the restriction, also. I'd prefer to choose my own throttle speed and decide for myself what's useful, thanks. I think I can handle it :)
Agreed - And let's say then that while moving, there is an issue with the workings of the mechanics and it proves hard to use them, then maybe the suggesion in the OP could be offered/applied to help!?

Top Bottom