General / Off-Topic Re: Immortality

Humanity has entertained these questions for thousands of years. Lots of different answers and opinions to delve in, be it philosophy, religion, lifestyle. Seek them out.

Stars do indeed go Nova, and then like faded flowers, they spread their seed to the sky.

Circle of life, innit.

One of my all time favorite things comes from Iain Banks (who, as you'll suspect, was the source for my original sentiment). In his Culture books one of the Culture's favorite ways to bury the dead was hyperspace them into the centers of stars. That way, when the stars go nova, the atoms of the their dead would spread out among the cosmos and help seed the next generation of stars (and life).

Interestingly, while some individuals would choose immortality it was always considered a little weird by the rest of the populace. :giggle:

One of my all time favorite things comes from Iain Banks (who, as you'll suspect, was the source for my original sentiment). In his Culture books one of the Culture's favorite ways to bury the dead was hyperspace them into the centers of stars. That way, when the stars go nova, the atoms of the their dead would spread out among the cosmos and help seed the next generation of stars (and life).

Interestingly, while some individuals would choose immortality it was always considered a little weird by the rest of the populace. :giggle:

Unless those atoms had been split during the lifecycle of the star.

But it's poetic at least 😀

In my view, the death of a sentient being, by anything other than it's own informed free-will, is a travesty, no matter how natural, no matter how inevitable, no matter how necessary, that death may be.

Lots of different answers and opinions to delve in, be it philosophy, religion, lifestyle. Seek them out.

Answers with no solutions; a lot of stories and not one reason to believe any of them, other than that they are, perhaps, more pleasant than the alternative...or peer pressure. Both are damn shoddy reasons, IMO, for anything.

People tend to normalize, even embrace, the inevitable. Maybe they have to in order to give their limited existences meaning.

One of the greatest sources of my general resentment of humanity is that they have wasted so much time and effort glorifying death and fantasizing about the greater meanings they have collectively attributed to it, that relatively few people have stopped to wonder if it really was inevitable, or if it was a problem to be solved. Oh, there have always been a few who have mused about actual immortality, but mostly people just bought into the systems of control that promised them reward in the afterlife in exchange for their obedience in this one. Only recently have we really begun to learn enough to think that death may be a problem that may eventually be solved...but I wonder how much earlier that realization may have come without all the stories, and the conflicts over who had the best one, that have swallowed up so much over the last ten thousand years.

o7 cmdrs

Its only in the last year since I discovered this game and found the joy of being a father that I really really don't want to die. I know the inevitable will eventuality happen but I'm actually really peeved that it will happen. Life is good. I've got wonderful children a good woman and elite dangerous.. I think of Michael's journey through the stars and I feel blessed that I'm able to carry on.. I feel peeved that he was taken at such an early age.. it's not fair.. life can be cruel it can also be kind and I'm gutted it will all end one day. Enjoy it while I can enjoy it I will. Just wanted to share my thoughts as i sit out in the sun at work.. god bless everyone..o7

Never felt the need to live forever.
The opposite is true.
The only thing that has made life endurable for me is the assurance that it would end eventually.
Ever since I was a teenager I thought that I would die within a decade or so. Several decades have passed since :).
My health isn't the best, so I still think I will die within a decade. And to me to think that is a relieve.
To think that life would never end seems pure hell to me.

In my view, the death of a sentient being, by anything other than it's own informed free-will, is a travesty, no matter how natural, no matter how inevitable, no matter how necessary, that death may be.

Answers with no solutions; a lot of stories and not one reason to believe any of them, other than that they are, perhaps, more pleasant than the alternative...or peer pressure. Both are damn shoddy reasons, IMO, for anything.

People tend to normalize, even embrace, the inevitable. Maybe they have to in order to give their limited existences meaning.

One of the greatest sources of my general resentment of humanity is that they have wasted so much time and effort glorifying death and fantasizing about the greater meanings they have collectively attributed to it, that relatively few people have stopped to wonder if it really was inevitable, or if it was a problem to be solved. Oh, there have always been a few who have mused about actual immortality, but mostly people just bought into the systems of control that promised them reward in the afterlife in exchange for their obedience in this one. Only recently have we really begun to learn enough to think that death may be a problem that may eventually be solved...but I wonder how much earlier that realization may have come without all the stories, and the conflicts over who had the best one, that have swallowed up so much over the last ten thousand years.
I could not agree more. There is one (not) small problem with immortality however. You'd have to pair it with enforced population growth control, at least as long as we're confined to this one planet we currently live on.

Death is something that goes beyond me and worries me.

When I'm going to die, I hope I'll find all the cats that I have known in my life, and to give them my love again and for the eternity, obviously.

Last edited:
As an ex-christian I have just come to the conclusion that I won't worry about dying when im dead. There will be nothing and the dead dont worry about nothing, so there is nothing to worry about :).....
..... That or Im wrong and I will burn for eternity because I didnt pray hard enough .....or give enough money .....or didn't attend or pray over food I bought busting my hump at work all week.

If we knew it was nothingness before the birth, we could suppose it’s nothingness after the death.

But who remembers what he was before his birth ?

"I don't want eternity. It doesn't matter how good it is. It's eternal. You get used to it and then you get bored." :LOL:
I've considered this myself. Yet no matter how old I get, today is not the day I want to die. That said, my life is pretty good right now, even with these health issues. If I had a terrible life (which depression has tricked me into believing in the past), perhaps I'd feel differently.

Hey cmdrs this forum is for ED, so lets keep god out of this shall we.:rolleyes:

I got nothing............
It's a way of saying that probably there is nothing after the death, as there was nothing before the birth.

But there is no certainty about this, because who can say that he has the memory of something before his birth ?

So basically we do not know if there was something before being born, and by extension what there is (or not) after the death remains a terra incognita.

To conclude, if we remembered something before we were born, we could have great hope that there is something after the death.

Death is not necessarily the end of something and birth is not necessarily the beginning of something.

The life is perhaps a passage between what there is before the birth and what there is after the death.

🙃

Last edited:
Permadeath for me, please. With or without cats or dogs.
As Jim Jefferies said:
"I don't want eternity. It doesn't matter how good it is. It's eternal. You get used to it and then you get bored." :LOL:
You can not know.

Jim (and you) consider the eternity from the point of view of your miserable earth condition ( :) ) .

The eternity in the Beyond (if it exists) is certainly completely different.

I recently had a 'cardiac event', so I really understand not wanting to die. My biggest fear since the event is how much my death would hurt my wife and family. While I'm not totally at peace with "being done" here on earth, it's really not what keeps me up at night. The thought of my wife being widowed at a relatively young age (I'm actually not that old) has been what haunts my nights lately.

I've started work on a 'care package' for my wife should I go early. There's the obvious things, like making sure she has access to all my passwords and various accounts she'll need to tend to once I'm gone, but I also want to start writing a journal for her, to comfort her, should this disease get worse. This will do me some good as well, as it'll give me something to channel all my emotions.

The funny / sad thing is that I've suffered from depression in the past, even sometimes wrestling with suicidal thoughts. But when that chest pain hit, there was zero doubt in my mind that "I really really don't want to die!" Thankfully I'm still here, and reality is that I might still be here for decades to come, tormenting you all with my EBL issues, LOL. But I've been made painfully aware of my mortality, and now every tiny little pain anywhere near my chest, fatigue or dizziness, I notice it and start thinking, "Is this it?" Researching all this crap on the Internet doesn't help, since all I find are these "worse case scenario" stories which are very depressing. I need to cut that out!

On the other hand, since the event every day is a blessing, and my wife thinks I'm actually happier now than before. I'm not sure about that, but I am trying to be more positive around her to leave her with good memories. I'm also slowly becoming more accepting of my own 'end' of life. As the saying goes, "We all owe God a death." However, I'm hoping he waits a couple more decades before collecting!

Awesome testimony!!
Stay blessed!!

Top Bottom