Murder rates increasing

No, I'm not familiar with that but I'd be curious to hear more about it. I'm just talking about my personal experience and that of friends.

Ooo! It's super great. Link: https://inara.cz/galaxy/

Look on the right side of the page. Should be pretty clear what it's saying. This information is collected via programs like EDMC. Artie, purveyor of Inara, could give you more information.

I love using it for bounty hunting and keeping my squaddies in the know (for example, seeing MEDIUM THREAT for Colonia warrants a warning). One time, after seeing a murder update on Inara, I was able to rush to a system and grab the likely culprit before he made it back to the station. Didn't get the kill, sadly, but was still pretty cool.

My goal is not to start a debate of open vs. solo but rather to ask a simple question. Have you noticed an increase in senseless murders lately, in open? I've always preferred to play in open and accept murder as part of the game and actually have fun when a "gentleman pirate" interdicts me. Recently though, I've seen an uptick in murder rates, particularly near the engineers, and especially near Felicity Farseer. I can only assume it's because it's the first place people go after buying a new ship, especially when they're new to the game. Any thoughts on the subject?
What do you think were the rates before and what do you think they are now?

I would not be at all surprised if the makeup of the active player base were changing, and with it the attitudes about what constitutes normal play. Probably a lot of people have stopped playing the game and a lot of new players have taken their place. The game’s been on deep discount a bunch of times recently and the major changes of late have been to cater towards newcomers. Meanwhile existing players are leaving, playing less, or have exhausted most conventional avenues of gameplay, leaving them to “make their own fun”.

All of this would make for a different player ecology, so maybe that’s what you’re noticing. This is all purely my unsubstantiated speculation, though; much like the initial assertion that murder is happening more frequently in the first place. It seems equally plausible to me that nothing has changed in any significant way, and any perceived change from the perspective of a given player is owing to luck and nothing else.

Anti-social are all those that fly-by without saying a word or greeting back. Gankers on the other side are very social, because they always initiate interactions.

(Please take this as a teutonic attempt at humour...) In this case, a mugger would be an extremely social person, as he chats up people ("Gimme your money, dude, or else!"), and not only that, he also re-distributes wealth... ;) (I get your point, though. When I was flying in Open, I loved it when people had role-playing reasons for their attacks. Say, me being an ardent supporter of the Federation, they being Imps determined to eliminate Federate swine . . . that kind of stuff . . .)

It is indeed impossible to know the motivation of another player. I therefore have to guess. If I can't think of any game-related reason and they don't tell me one, I therefore guess that it's just because they're obnoxious.

You could assume most of them try to bring emergent gameplay in the form of interesting skill based asymetric yet fair and balanced pvp scenarios, to promote a competitive scene. And they fail hard at it.

What do you think were the rates before and what do you think they are now?
When traveling to somewhere like Deciat, I typically encounter two or three other commanders. Until recently, I'd say I had a 90-95% chance of going right to my destination with no troubles at all. So I never really worried about it. However, in the past couple of months, I'd give it 50/50. Keep in mind, this is all anecdotal and could be bad luck or coincidence.

When traveling to somewhere like Deciat, I typically encounter two or three other commanders. Until recently, I'd say I had a 90-95% chance of going right to my destination with no troubles at all. So I never really worried about it. However, in the past couple of months, I'd give it 50/50. Keep in mind, this is all anecdotal and could be bad luck or coincidence.
My experience is that its dependent on other factors in addition to anecdotal. My new alt account (harmless combat rank) in a stock Krait will get interdicted most of the time in Deciat. My elite account in a fully engineered shield tank Vette will get overlooked in Deciat. Go figure.

My experience is that its dependent on other factors in addition to anecdotal. My new alt account (harmless combat rank) in a stock Krait will get interdicted most of the time in Deciat. My elite account in a fully engineered shield tank Vette will get overlooked in Deciat. Go figure.
Now this is the stuff that I find interesting, and it may provide some insight about the type of people that are committing "murder" in this fashion. If I'm killed by a player of an opposing faction, I usually assume it's due to political reasons but there may be more to it then that.

Now this is the stuff that I find interesting, and it may provide some insight about the type of people that are committing "murder" in this fashion. If I'm killed by a player of an opposing faction, I usually assume it's due to political reasons but there may be more to it then that.
I'm more likely to get pulled by CMDRs of an opposing faction than not, but its not political, imo. Its because they don't have to worry about C&P.

Gankers tend to prefer easy targets.

Hey "Bob" Dobbs.

No, can't say i've seen an increase. I've barely seen another player in the last few months.
The lack of seeing other players, is that typical for you?

*side note - I I like your avatar. I always enjoyed the "concept" of JAM/KLF but never fully subscribed.

My goal is not to start a debate of open vs. solo but rather to ask a simple question. Have you noticed an increase in senseless murders lately, in open? I've always preferred to play in open and accept murder as part of the game and actually have fun when a "gentleman pirate" interdicts me. Recently though, I've seen an uptick in murder rates, particularly near the engineers, and especially near Felicity Farseer. I can only assume it's because it's the first place people go after buying a new ship, especially when they're new to the game. Any thoughts on the subject?

Since CGs got removed, the oppotunity to hunt wanted CMDRs has vanished. At this point we PvPers shoot anything that isn't a NPC as wanted CMDRs are no longer bundled up in one hotspot. Give PvPers a place to PvP and that problem will go away in an instant.

Top Bottom