Bored in Space: 5K LY to unlock Palin

I think I've done about 50 jumps and I'm nearly halfway to the 5K light years I need to unlock Palin. I somehow managed the 50 jumps by watching YouTube videos while playing. I'm not sure I can motivate myself to finish this trip.

How do you deep space explorers manage the tedious repetition of jump after jump?

Has anyone ever suggested to FDev that we should arrive a bit farther away from the star so that it doesn't obstruct our next jump? Jump, go around star, jump. Jump, go around star jump. Fuel scoop for 10 minutes.

Asp X 50 ly jump range with Guardian FSD booster.

I think if you want the best gear you should be prepared to put the effort into getting it, and once you've done it you'll at least have a better understanding of the mechanics of exploration even if you decide it's not for you.

I fast travelled just under 6k this afternoon, the final stint returning from a 30kLy passenger mission to Three Way Dance. I was out for four days I think in a 70ly equipped Conda. Earned something in excess of 60mCr in exploration data & 50m for the mission.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
This was my last return leg when unlocking Palin:
unknown.png

It becomes a routine. (ignore "bodies scanned" - my app was not recording them properly at that time)

Last edited:
Filter your route for KGBFOAM without M stars plus some off interesting sequence star classes. You're more likely to find an interesting system by skipping all the boring M class ones. Also set yourself a destination. Taking passengers for a ride would be one or just go to a relatively close by nebula.

DDastardly00

D
I've been there before (when I was unlocking Palin) but I was in a 35-40ly Asp and it was ages before any of the Guardian stuff so it took even longer.

What I did was try to make a trip out of it. I planned ahead to visit some Nebulas while I was out there, took some great pics, stopped to smell the space dust (no roses in space), and it wasn't too bad......until I had to go home. The way back is always terrible for me, I always just want to get it over with, the last 1500ly leg of a trip always seems the longest to me. Best thing I can tell you is that you're going to love those Dirty Drives, its one of the best blueprints in the game.

Filter your route for KGBFOAM without M stars plus some off interesting sequence star classes. You're more likely to find an interesting system by skipping all the boring M class ones. Also set yourself a destination. Taking passengers for a ride would be one or just go to a relatively close by nebula.

I'm a bit past the North American. First I used to Codex to find something interesting. I found a LaGrange cloud. Then I traveled to the North American Nebula. The visuals are cool at those spots but the travel is still tedious.

Maybe it would be easier with a 70 Ly jump range ship rather than just 50 Ly.

I'm a bit past the North American. First I used to Codex to find something interesting. I found a LaGrange cloud. Then I traveled to the North American Nebula. The visuals are cool at those spots but the travel is still tedious.

Maybe it would be easier with a 70 Ly jump range ship rather than just 50 Ly.
I went to the Trifid Nebula in a 40ly Viper IV. Skipping M type, brown dwarves and tauri stars really helps finding places to look around for interesting things. I think I found two or three Lagrange clouds on my own.

I think I've done about 50 jumps and I'm nearly halfway to the 5K light years I need to unlock Palin. I somehow managed the 50 jumps by watching YouTube videos while playing. I'm not sure I can motivate myself to finish this trip.

How do you deep space explorers manage the tedious repetition of jump after jump?

Has anyone ever suggested to FDev that we should arrive a bit farther away from the star so that it doesn't obstruct our next jump? Jump, go around star, jump. Jump, go around star jump. Fuel scoop for 10 minutes.

I entirely agree, this unlock could easily have been done, and given the experience it's attempting to give, by making it just 1000Ly.

5000 is just overkill. Most of the interesting stuff is within 1000Ly. You could go out gaurdian ruins hunting, and maybe a touch further, and it'd unlock it. I'm not entirely sure what there is that's so interesting 5000Ly away really.

DDastardly00

D
I heard you can self-destruct. That's my plan. No way I'm flying back if I can avoid it.

I said that to myself a few times on the way back but in the end I stuck with it for the money and the exploration rank. I figured you may as well cash it in since you did it.

It depends what's coming next ........

"You hear a strange sound from the engine bay ... a warning light is flashing indicating that <the wobbulator control on no.2 thruster requires fixing in <Thruster Access Panel #2>"

Leave seat and attend to <Thruster Access Panel #2> .....

"You hear <screaming> in <Cargo Bay 4>"

Leave seat and visit slaves in <Cargo Bay 4> with taser-plasma-blaster .....

There may be a lot to do
:)

I was just watching this Obsidian Ant video about travel times in space games. He concludes that long travel times make games boring and add nothing. I wholeheartedly agree.

Well - people are different...
I do not find it boring. Collecting materials, THAT is booooooring. Other things too, but materials are worst. Especially because they are not distributed like their rarity, this dice is loaded. But be that as it may, exploring is not boring, and jumping too.

Maybe if you use the FSS and actually look at the systems you pass, it will be better? This journey is not to bore you, it is just to show off the Galaxy I think. Anyway, I have the journey long since done. But I have only 3 Engineers (Farseer, Martuuk and McQuinn), and no real wish to do more, since every time I plan something I find, that I am missing sone piddling material, and I am not talking about grade 5. I have a lot of Rare and Very Rare materials, all in all around 5600 pieces including data. But I still miss Common and Standard materials for the simplest things. And no, I will not use the cheating Traders and be cheated out of my valuable materials. So no hope for Palin soon...

That said - I did it just for fun (and money too). I did find interesting things. Maybe you could try it? If you ask for jumping without the star in between you are not interested in the systems you pass. But maybe it is just not the thing for you...

Just suicide back to the bubble that's what I did. If they don't want you doing that then they should not have created that type of mechanic in the first place. It's a silly grind wall to require 5000 light-years outside of the bubble. I could understand if you were required to actually do something out there but no just go there.

The trip to Colonia is 22000 light-years which is different because you're going somewhere. So if Professor Palin needed you to go like 5000 light-years away to a specific planet to record something that would be basically the same trip but you'd be there for a reason and you would have to bring it back.

Isnt it ridiculous? I dont know how anyone ever thought this was good or interesting gameplay. If you want to explore, great, but forcing players to do some artificial grind and calling it gameplay?
Stuff like this is why i have bought my last FD game or dlc. Elite was a great game right up untill they ed all over it with the engineers.
Blaze your own trail :LOL:

Just suicide back to the bubble that's what I did. If they don't want you doing that then they should not have created that type of mechanic in the first place. It's a silly grind wall to require 5000 light-years outside of the bubble. I could understand if you were required to actually do something out there but no just go there.

The trip to Colonia is 22000 light-years which is different because you're going somewhere. So if Professor Palin needed you to go like 5000 light-years away to a specific planet to record something that would be basically the same trip but you'd be there for a reason and you would have to bring it back.

I agree, it could have been more "generic" though, while still being a lot better.

for instance, it could have asked for a certain type of star to be scanned, at a certain distance out.

Or, it could have required you to perform a nuetron star (not white dwarf) frame shift supercharge - thus teaching you a mechanic at the same time.

Possibilities are endless, but nope... just go 5000Ly anywhere for literally no reason.

If you follow OA's point of view here, we may as well have a <Press to Jump 5000 ly and return to Palin> button.
Well you're doing all all that to reach that reward not to see what it's like to go 5000 light-years which is really just a repetitive jump function over and over and over until you're sick of doing it.

When we have all of the modules we want many of us rarely engage in that again.

If the task wasn't made so lazily and there was actually some content there I would be all for it. It's just a hurdle to jump that someone just blurted out most likely in a meeting, "have them jump 5000 light-years".

I think the same thing when I see the power play rankings. 1 through 4 makes sense then 5 is going from like what, more than three times what 4 is?

There's always those hurdles game developers put in for people who are willing to never leave the game.

Top Bottom