Newcomer / Intro Sometimes you need to get to a planet that's more than 20 minutes away even in super cruise. Is there any faster way?

Sometimes you need to get to a planet that's more than 20 minutes away even in super cruise. Is there any faster way?

Currently, no. There has, in the past, been talk of micro Jumps, where it may be possible for a ship to 'Jump' from a Primary Star to one of its' Secondary's, but I would not expect that to happen for a while (if ever), as FDev has said they do not plan on any MAJOR updates until 2020. I hope that they use this time wisely, to go back into the core of the Game and resolve the major problems within the Game.

One thing to note is that the developers of the original Elite (David Braben OBE and Ian Bell) are fans of the Science Fiction film "2001: A Space Odyssey". One of the pointers to this is the maximum speed in Super Cruise; 2001c.

Not really some of the longer runs can be made faster by climbing out of the orbital plane of the system as the further away you are from any gravity wells the faster you can’t go, using Super Cruise Assist will tend to make a long trip slower.

I hate to tell you this but twenty minutes is nowhere near the longest trip time in cruise there is one that is ninety minutes long if you get everything right and longer or unreachable if you mess up (a Sidewinder with a small tank that isn’t full to the brim won’t make it).

Target the destination.
Fly towards the target; at the half way point, your ship will automatically start to slow down; so, before the half way point. Target the star you dropped into the system at (the one behind you) and your ship, will continue to increase in speed; if you continue, towards your 1st target.

Max speed, is about 2000Ly I think.

Watch out that you don't fly past your target, due to going too fast. Re-targeting the destination star, will slow you back down, automatically.

Well, from what I have heard, there is a SuperCruise Overdrive upgrade at Hutton Orbital. It will allow you to almost triple your normal SC times...

Sorry, I'm kidding...Unfortunately there is no faster way to Get There From Here in the game as of yet. As stated above, you can coax a few more LY's of speed out by not using SuperCruise Assist or (and I hadn't heard of this one) targeting the main star once you get half way to your distant target to allow you to continue to increase speed.

Having made some long trips (but not The Monster of Hutton) I feel your pain. But, maybe put on some nice music, kick back, and watch Space go by...or, go make a sammich!

Take Care and Check Six Commanders! o7

Strangely enough the original Elite had (press 'j') to 'jumps' from the outer planets to the star (other way round in the 80s). The jumps were mass locked by any craft in the proximity and If the space was clear/democracy you could arrive at the star in seconds, but if the space was busy/anarchy it could take hours. Was surprised that jumps weren't included in dangerous

The docking tune is Strauss's Blue Danube which was from the original Elite and unsuprisingly from 2001 Space Oddesey

Currently, no. There has, in the past, been talk of micro Jumps, where it may be possible for a ship to 'Jump' from a Primary Star to one of its' Secondary's, but I would not expect that to happen for a while (if ever), as FDev has said they do not plan on any MAJOR updates until 2020. I hope that they use this time wisely, to go back into the core of the Game and resolve the major problems within the Game.

One thing to note is that the developers of the original Elite (David Braben OBE and Ian Bell) are fans of the Science Fiction film "2001: A Space Odyssey". One of the pointers to this is the maximum speed in Super Cruise; 2001c.

Are you taking about just switching off super cruise ASSIST or just targeting the star instead of the planet? I'll give it a try

Target the destination.
Fly towards the target; at the half way point, your ship will automatically start to slow down; so, before the half way point. Target the star you dropped into the system at (the one behind you) and your ship, will continue to increase in speed; if you continue, towards your 1st target.

Max speed, is about 2000Ly I think.

Watch out that you don't fly past your target, due to going too fast. Re-targeting the destination star, will slow you back down, automatically.

The jumps were mass locked by any craft in the proximity and If the space was clear/democracy you could arrive at the star in seconds, but if the space was busy/anarchy it could take hours
It often did take hours, and the current ED system is infinitely superior, in my opinion.

Can you tell which missions are a long way from the star?
When you open up the mission details (before accepting) you can scroll down and the distance from star to destination is shown, beneath the 'Recommended rank' and 'Rewards' boxes

When you open up the mission details (before accepting) you can scroll down and the distance from star to destination is shown, beneath the 'Recommended rank' and 'Rewards' boxes

This, is the number one thing I look at after pulling up a juicy-looking mission in a system that I am not familiar with. Some are hard to turn down, but unless it is a payout of over 1Mil or more, if it is over 150K ls away, I will tend to not take it in favor of a couple of other lesser paying, but closer missions.

I still don't see why everyone has a problem with longer trips tbh. Lots of people get in a car or on a bike just for the sake of driving (usually fast). Well 2001c is pretty damn fast, I tell you.

Are you taking about just switching off super cruise ASSIST or just targeting the star instead of the planet? I'll give it a try
Never used the SCA, I am old school (played the 84 game) So no idea how it works or what it does. Logically, you should be able to turn off the SCA, in the right panel; module window.

Long distances, normally means, that you are heading towards another star; therefore, you have light reference, to fly towards. When you are about 80% of the way, go to the left nav-panel and select your target.

During missions, I tend to fly in a curve, or ack, because if you go from A to B in a straight line. The mission bad guys, will be waiting for you; because you are 'in' the shipping lane.

This, is the number one thing I look at after pulling up a juicy-looking mission in a system that I am not familiar with. Some are hard to turn down, but unless it is a payout of over 1Mil or more, if it is over 150K ls away, I will tend to not take it in favor of a couple of other lesser paying, but closer missions.
Time is Credits.

Strangely enough the original Elite had (press 'j') to 'jumps' from the outer planets to the star (other way round in the 80s). The jumps were mass locked by any craft in the proximity and If the space was clear/democracy you could arrive at the star in seconds, but if the space was busy/anarchy it could take hours. Was surprised that jumps weren't included in dangerous

The docking tune is Strauss's Blue Danube which was from the original Elite and unsuprisingly from 2001 Space Oddesey

This was because the jump into the system point was in the outer reaches of the system so you had a long trip if you needed to scoop fuel.

Top Bottom