Increase supercruise drop-out distance from stations and outposts

Very early on in ED, drop out distance was 20km, and there was a lot more potential for gameplay during station approach as well as larger benefits from being able to time an accurate manual drop.

I actually think they are a bit too fast...multiple gs of acceleration seems like it would be annoying, at the very least.

Yes, added to the sense of scale to the star ports as you came in as well.

Lestat

Banned
It used to be like that, early on.

They changed it because absolutely nobody liked it.
Was it was in the Mini Bubble in Alpha. Some complaining Players killing each other or not getting to the station before getting destroyed. Add wing and such. We might see a few issues.

Very early on in ED, drop out distance was 20km, and there was a lot more potential for gameplay during station approach as well as larger benefits from being able to time an accurate manual drop.

Did you check to see why they changed it? I think you will find it was a player requested change, just as moving the stations further away from planetary bodies was a player requested change, and yet we get people coming here asking to have them moved closer to give a better view.

Did you check to see why they changed it? I think you will find it was a player requested change, just as moving the stations further away from planetary bodies was a player requested change, and yet we get people coming here asking to have them moved closer to give a better view.

I'm sure they were popular changes. That doesn't make them beneficial.

Both aspects and countless others should have been left as they were. Far too much has been sacrificed for the sake of convenience and expediency.

Funny. Let's change what works and is already coded galaxy wide, well just because.
It would change nothing in the game.
Drop out 300,000 ls from stations. Why not. More time for players to interdict peeps, or be nagged to death by npc's.
Bad idea.

Last edited:
Funny. Let's change what works and is already coded galaxy wide, well just because.
Drop out 300,000 ls from stations. Why not. More time for players to interdict peeps, or be nagged to death by npc's.
Bad idea.

Yes, as we are all suggesting it be 300,000 light seconds.

Let's change what works and is already coded galaxy wide, well just because.

They already did that and that's why we have what we have.

Apparently some people thought the space flight part of the game was getting in the way of their spreadsheet simulator and increasing the amount of time spent not clicking through a commodity board to an unacceptably high level.

Now that A to B trade for the sole purpose of watching a credit gauge tick up has been dead for years, there is no reason crap up the rest of the game to cater to it.

Station station approach and patrol used to be much more viable. I remember actually having to sneak into stations to avoid security scans or CMDR blockades; it was a lot of fun. There was a lot less docking tube and letter box combat because there was a 20km sphere around the stations that were relevant.

As for the other change mentioned, having some outposts and starports deep within gravity wells made approach vector much more important and was another small layer of depth to an activity that needs all the depth it can get.

I would like to see the glide mechanic added to drop outs everywhere. At that speed you would see the stations or asteroid fields rushing up towards you and finishes at around 10-15 km out.
except that your ship's kenetic energy isnt changing when the FSD is active, your FSD is moving the ship, the ship itself isnt moving which is why you return to that, at most, few hundred meters per second.
Normal matter cant travel faster than light either, if your ship's mass had that much kenetic energy it would explode.
the FSD also prevents time dialation from being a thing too

Last edited:
LOL Another I want thread from gank city to get more time in interdict players.
I call it like I see em. No offense.

Then you're blind.

My CMDR hasn't interdicted another in over four years, and hasn't initiated hostilities, outside of conflict zones or arranged matches/duels, in nearly as long. I also do not play a ganker...my CMDR is alone nine times in ten and outnumbered against his foes considerably more often than that.

You're projecting your own paranoid biases onto my arguments, and I do take offense at that.

No.
The only exciting gameplay this will open up is hitting the boost button a couple of more times than you need to now.

If you personally want to drop out early, you are welcome to do that, just hit the FSD button twice and you can have all the pretend danger you want.

If you personally want to drop out early, you are welcome to do that, just hit the FSD button twice

If you are going fast enough to need to hit the button twice you aren't going to have much control over where you end up relative to the station.

Even at lower velocities manual drops became much more difficult to place correctly a few years back, probably around 2.2. I can usually still get within 10-20km of where I want to be, but before that I could place a drop within ~2km.

and you can have all the pretend danger you want.

I was mostly thinking of how much easier it is to assess a situation from a relatively safe standoff distance rather than falling into the waiting arms of potential hostiles, as well as the challenges in intercepting vessels that don't simply pop up within immediate visual or sensor range. In the past, this provided significant gameplay for both sides.

Manual drop while smuggling and trying to avoid both scans and murderous CMDRs:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PxoGm6zKR0

Back from Beta 1, when the default drop distance was 20km:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugBYJfFUeDI

Might take a few for HD quality to become available on that second video.

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
Then you're blind.

My CMDR hasn't interdicted another in over four years, and hasn't initiated hostilities, outside of conflict zones or arranged matches/duels, in nearly as long. I also do not play a ganker...my CMDR is alone nine times in ten and outnumbered against his foes considerably more often than that.

You're projecting your own paranoid biases onto my arguments, and I do take offense at that.
See it easy to say this and to be a ganker. Basically, Portray your self to be a Saint but in a devil in disguise. When we mix BG and Major locations. PvP will be using it as a blockage and everyone will move to solo.

Listen, I all for being at a distance. But we have to look at the problems and solve them.

See it easy to say this and to be a ganker. Basically, Portray your self to be a Saint but in a devil in disguise.

That's precisely the sort of paranoid bias I was referring to.

No devlish gankers are cackling manically and licking their lips at how much more work they'll have to do to run down targets out side of starports if the default drop out distance where increased. There is no secret ganker agenda to harm the game at everyone else's expense.

Trying to see everything through the eyes of some narrow-minded boogeyman perspective and ignoring all the other, actual, points of view doesn't make for much of a discussion.

When we mix BG and Major locations. PvP will be using it as a blockage and everyone will move to solo.

Listen, I all for being at a distance. But we have to look at the problems and solve them.

I've pointed out a few problems I feel were caused by the reduction in dropout distance, what problems were solved by it again?

There is no secret ganker agenda to harm the game at everyone else's expense.

You say that, but then along comes a ganker demanding that High Wake be affected by mass lock the same way Low Wake is.

There are, and I admit it may be a small number, players who regularly demand changes that make escaping combat impossible so that players are forced to engage thier attackers....or combat log of course.

They may not think they are harming the game, but improving it, but of course that's a personal POV, one players improvement is another players harm.

You say that, but then along comes a ganker demanding that High Wake be affected by mass lock the same way Low Wake is.

There are, and I admit it may be a small number, players who regularly demand changes that make escaping combat impossible so that players are forced to engage thier attackers....or combat log of course.

Don't need to be a ganker to think it would be an improvement if escape were less trivial (and this doesn't imply impossible). Currently, anyone with any experience ais essentially unstoppable. This has undermined much of the gameplay ED and it's predecessors (direct and spiritual) were premised on, including what should be one of the major limiting factors to wanton 'ganking'.

Not that increased drop out distances would make escape more difficult. On the contrary, being able to reconnoiter station environs from outside of sensor range and make an informed decision on best approach, as well as being well outside station masslock, generally provided that much more time for escape.

They may not think they are harming the game, but improving it, but of course that's a personal POV, one players improvement is another players harm.

Well, that's certainly true.

However, the guide I have, in the form of the vision Frontier was trying to sell us on before release, does paint a picture of what the game strives to be. I really don't think that risk-free instant gratification was what they had in mind.

As for the other change mentioned, having some outposts and starports deep within gravity wells made approach vector much more important and was another small layer of depth to an activity that needs all the depth it can get.
This, definitely. Many of the ones in Colonia orbit pretty close to the planet, just above the orbital cruise line, and it's really not a problem.

For that matter, all the surface bases are really close to the planet, and they're a lot more interesting that the high-orbit ones.

Top Bottom