Valve Index VR headset

"The god rays, it feels very first gen to me.....It feels like they brought the lenses over and made the field of view bigger"

"Wasnt blown away by the optics"

index-rays.jpg

I was super excited about the Index but this has basically killed it for me :[

Reviews are kind so far; as a Pimax user, I'm seriously tempted to switch to the Index for the "ecosystem" and comfort/build quality which the Pimax does really lack. That headstrap alone is enough...

"The god rays, it feels very first gen to me.....It feels like they brought the lenses over and made the field of view bigger"

index-rays.jpg

this and LCD backlight is a no go...

UploadVR Summary:

• Valve Index optics include the widest sweet spot and most comfortable fitting of any VR headset they've ever used.
  • Looking around with eyes instead of turning your head is easier and more effective with the Valve Index.
  • God Rays are dramatically reduced compared to pre-2019 VR headsets.
  • The Index optics and fitting provide the smoothest and most comfortable experience by an order of magnitude.
  • The Index audio is very loud
  • The Index sound can still "drown out the real world".
  • The Index provided an incredibly home theater experience based on the audio alone.
  • Ian much preferred the Index to the Rift S.

Well the reviews are mixed bag tbh - Arstechnica did a hand's on https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...-a-vr-game-changer-with-a-few-question-marks/ and said that god rays are less than previous gen (still present) and are comparable to "reflections in thick glasses in movie theater", sweetspot is huge, but the audio is not so loud... Different users, different opinions.

Re: Sweetspot - Norm from Tested is I think talking about sweetspot in terms of positioning it on head, not "sharp view area where you can look with the eyes" type of sweetspot.

For what it's worth, guy from Arstechnica used index for work (typing). So I'd definitely wait for more reviews until deciding if it's killed for you or not, as he has different opinions than Tested. You need to wait anyway because they're sold out up till October iirc ;-) I hope to get mine in the first batch, ordered within 10 minutes of preorder start when the shipping date was end of June ;-)

Additionally:

Valve is asking reviewers to hold off on final verdicts of its Index VR system until June 28 “as a large number of updates will be made between now and then.” The company’s stereo passthrough is not active either and Valve is targeting a late summer release for that feature. Right now, then, Valve is asking only for previews of the hardware as it can be seen with the wide range of SteamVR apps, including a few built with early support for the Index wearable controllers.

Source: https://youtu.be/zpWCOT4XnRY

This is the developer/author of Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades - one of the best gunplay experiences in VR, ever. So he has had the index for quite a while now, and also has comparison with other headsets as a VR developer.

OPTICS

Notable quotes - the sweetspot area is HUGE:
Having spent a last terrible couple months of my life in a Vive pro all the time [which has tiny focused area in comparison] Index is in focus pretty much to the edge [of the screen]That is the most profound increase in positive experience in an HMD visually I have ever experienced

Pixel fill is also superior to Vive Pro.
Playing a game I have been working on for 3.5 years, and find myself get measurably better at that game almost immediately just because I can see better.

FOV is improved, welcome but not a game changer.

Black and near black levels are brighter than a Vive pro.

Who should get this:
If you are already in vive ecosystem, get it without basestations - it's a massive boon to playing games which rely on perception and clarity like shooters. It makes a huge difference over the vive pro in these titles in visual clarity.

Source: https://youtu.be/zpWCOT4XnRY

This is the developer/author of Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades - one of the best gunplay experiences in VR, ever. So he has had the index for quite a while now, and also has comparison with other headsets as a VR developer.

OPTICS

Notable quotes - the sweetspot area is HUGE:

Pixel fill is also superior to Vive Pro.

FOV is improved, welcome but not a game changer.

Black and near black levels are brighter than a Vive pro.

Who should get this:
If you are already in vive ecosystem, get it without basestations - it's a massive boon to playing games which rely on perception and clarity like shooters. It makes a huge difference over the vive pro in these titles in visual clarity.

Yeah I watched his video yesterday - It seems that he is very impressed with the HMD, nice to see from someone who went from Vive Pro to Index, which is the same upgrade path as I'll be taking (albeit I have the GearVR Lens mod installed on mine). Have you watched the video from the Climbey dev? He is also very positive about the Index.

Have you watched the video from the Climbey dev
Not yet, I'm trying to find different "hands on", although as quoted above Valve says they are working intensively to improve the device before launch (probably firmware/software side). So far there are different opinions but all show that it should be a solid upgrade over original Vive, and substantial over vive pro in terms of sweetspot at least and pixel fill. We will see :)

The overhead when using the parallel projections compatibility mode is what you would have had if you had built a wide FOV headset without canted screens.

does this mean that if a game doesn't support different camera angling the headset will need to reproject anyway, but the index will do that with dedicated hardware as opposed to software emulation, thus mitigating the performance hit?

does this mean that if a game doesn't support different camera angling the headset will need to reproject anyway, but the index will do that with dedicated hardware as opposed to software emulation, thus mitigating the performance hit?

I do not know, but my guess is that It is just similar software reprojection to what Pimax does, and that this is the default mode, which is automagically used whenever Steam in one manner or other (I could think of a few) determines the application that is being started has no support for canted screens (here's hoping for a user setting, just in case, btw), but

First of all: It is not the reprojection that constitutes the performance hit, but that the game renders a larger bitmap with more anisotropy, for the parallel viewplane, and that problem does not go away.

...but the overhead is likely to be less significant for a few reasons:

• The lens/screen cant is half of that of the Pimax headsets, so there is less "distance" to reproject over.
  • The FOV is smaller than that of the Pimaxes, which leads to the same.
  • The hidden area mask is probably properly projected to the parallel intermediate viewplane, unlike with Pimax's current runtime (...which appears to use its regular one), which should lead to further savings, provided the game actually makes use of it.
I whipped up an example (NB: no real data used - I pulled it all out of a dark place, and have also since forgotten the exact numbers I used) diagram for a hypothetical 8:9 viewplane, with a 60°+50°*110° frustum, and a later added circular hidden area mask...

So the rectangle outlined in blue would be the screen, which it would have been optimal to render directly for.

...and the red one is the parallel viewplane that you would being rendering instead, given a few assumptions: -We want to maintain angular resolution, so we need to match the right edges, where the two planes "hinge together", with the same amount of pixels per degree, and -We want the full vertical FOV all the way out in the far periphery, so the parallel screen buffer needs to be both wider and taller, so that its corners of the left align with those of the "real screen" buffer, when projected to the observer.

Then you take the hidden area mask into consideration, and see that you hadn't needed to go all the way out to the corners, when determining the size of the parallel projections viewplane bitmap; Its top and bottom edges could be brought together, to the point where the hidden area mask intersects the line that delineates the projection (the line from the top left corner of the red rectangle to the top right one on the blue - the left one of the two intersections)

So, basically compare the area of the circle on the blue rectangle with the area of the circle on the red rectangle, to estimate the pixel shading overhead in this speculative example - doesn't look all that bad to me... :7

Do we know if it will work with E:D? - I have a rift but I want an index :) - Also will the index work as an added headset to the Oculus Home software? ED works great in OH but does not work well with SteamVR

Do we know if it will work with E:D? - I have a rift but I want an index :) - Also will the index work as an added headset to the Oculus Home software? ED works great in OH but does not work well with SteamVR

Yes it works. This has been confirmed by at least 2 devs (not Frontier). There is a thread about this on r/valveindex if you want to read more.

No you cannot add the Index to Oculus Home. Oculus Home only supports Oculus HMDs.

I agree, the Oculus Home experience is better than SteamVR. It's shame about the headsets. If only they sold an enthusiast level HMD.... I much prefer the Oculus software experience (Home, Dash, etc). That said I have always found Elite to work just fine on SteamVR with non-Oculus HMDs.

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm if the scaling issue, where you look like a 12 year old child and the world is much too small, that is present on the Vive/Vive Pro is not the case with the Index?

Me also - Lets hope we get some sort of shipping estimate / tracking shortly! Damn it has seemed like a long month, I even wired my Pro back up so I can get used to cabled VR play again... I'm gonna miss wireless VR, I just hope the Index is good enough to justify dropping it.
Well, Sweviver was swearing by wireless VR before he got pimax, and then the FOV trumped wireless... Although now that he is openly working for Pimax I kinda take his opinions with a (bigger) grain of salt ;-)

Top Bottom