What other games are we all playing?

Honestly, the idea seems pretty dodgy to put it mildly. Would people be all right with a game about the settlers wiping out indigenous people? I think we all know the answer to that one. The weird part is that it's all the rage right now bashing CDProject Red for their handling of race & gender issues in a dystopian futuristic game world that was created for just that purpose of making people uncomfortable, while this game seems to be flying right under the radar because "whitey finally gets his" or sentiment to that effect. Rather disgusting imo.

not gonna argue, i tend to ignore these pc debates. influencers gonna influence and parrots gonna parrot.

but there are very little games from a 'native' perspective, and that's even in a not so massive genre. can you be an apache in rdr2? you couldn't in rdr.

on the other hand, quite a lot of aaa titles, some quite popular, are just glorified revisions of the story of "war on terrorism" and have middle east or afghanistan or even vietnam as the usual scenario of liberation operations. yeah, indeed, nausea inducing even without vr ... but that's actually the dominant narrative.

gamelabs are niche, and completely oblivious to all that crap, and quietly go on making very original games, and always with a good effort on some historical setting: american civil war, age of sail and now american 'conquest'. this one is about stealth, wit and survival against huge odds, and it is indeed not a pro-american view so yes, this time the whiteys are the foe, as is appropriate for the context.

Had never heard of that game, it sounds awesome. Will definitively give it a try.
Now the question is, how the hell will I remember about this game when the Early Access is released since it's not on Steam (yet at least)? Don't want to pre-order just in case things go horribly wrong or it ends up being really bad, but I love Red Dead Redemption, so this is kind of right up my alley...

Now the question is, how the hell will I remember about this game when the Early Access is released since it's not on Steam (yet at least)? Don't want to pre-order just in case things go horribly wrong or it ends up being really bad, but I love Red Dead Redemption, so this is kind of right up my alley...

it's planned for late 2019, just check now and then. their marketing strategy is faint, to say the least. they're a small bunch and all seem to concentrate on actually making the game. they are quite active and open in their forum though. in fact i'm baffled about the progress they have made in this alpha, after just a very early announcement a year back. they have been very silent about this one.

a delay is indeed possible, i even expect it. updates are pretty frequent. radical changes and experiments summarily scrapped are to be expected too. it's a fun developer to watch, i've been following naval action for a while and looking forward for the same here. although the other good option is to just wait it out and experience it in its full glory when it's ready. i envy you :)

Little less peace pipe and maybe a little more inventing gunpowder would have gone a long ways to help the natives. Just saying.

Honestly, the idea seems pretty dodgy to put it mildly. Would people be all right with a game about the settlers wiping out indigenous people? I think we all know the answer to that one. The weird part is that it's all the rage right now bashing CDProject Red for their handling of race & gender issues in a dystopian futuristic game world that was created for just that purpose of making people uncomfortable, while this game seems to be flying right under the radar because "whitey finally gets his" or sentiment to that effect. Rather disgusting imo.

While I do get where you're coming from, I see this only as indians vs settlers game that is simply played from "the other side". There is absolutely no shortage of games where we play the settlers/cowboys/etc and get to kill natives, now there is a game from the perspective of the natives. I didn't see racism in any of cases.

I'm not seeing this as a "getback on whiteys" thing, I simply see it as a "play an a native american" thing. Maybe that's because I hate the whole SJW thing, and as such I don't tend to see racism/homoxenotransphobia/misogyny everywhere and can still see this as simply a game, not an attack on some specific culture/race/gender/whatever. If the roles were switched (play as settler to colonize all of the indian lands), I would still be perfectly fine with it. It's a game. I actually like the fact you can finally play as a native, because these are so rare.

Of course, if I were one of those PC game "jornos" from Rock Paper Shotgun, or Polygon, or Kotaku etc, or some screeching SJW out to ban everything in the whole world in the name of "wokeness" and said this game is OK, then I would be a complete hypocrite. But fortunately I'm not.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing this as a "getback on whiteys" thing, I simply see it as a "play an a native american" thing. Maybe that's because I hate the whole SJW thing, and as such I don't tend to see racism/homoxenotransphobia/misogyny everywhere and can still see this as simply a game, not an attack on some specific culture/race/gender/whatever.

Same here, and I think its very good that someone finally made a game where we can play as natives and not cowboys/invaders not often we get a chance in this setting.
Definitely keeping my eye on this one.

not gonna argue, i tend to ignore these pc debates. influencers gonna influence and parrots gonna parrot.

but there are very little games from a 'native' perspective, and that's even in a not so massive genre. can you be an apache in rdr2? you couldn't in rdr.

on the other hand, quite a lot of aaa titles, some quite popular, are just glorified revisions of the story of "war on terrorism" and have middle east or afghanistan or even vietnam as the usual scenario of liberation operations. yeah, indeed, nausea inducing even without vr ... but that's actually the dominant narrative.

gamelabs are niche, and completely oblivious to all that crap, and quietly go on making very original games, and always with a good effort on some historical setting: american civil war, age of sail and now american 'conquest'. this one is about stealth, wit and survival against huge odds, and it is indeed not a pro-american view so yes, this time the whiteys are the foe, as is appropriate for the context.

In the original RDR you were definitely not on a rampage to kill natives, in fact, some of the site quests were about helping them.
I'm not against a historic setting, and this is hardly the most offending piece of media I've seen (like all those 'historic' movies depicting German soldiers as true nazis, while allied soliders as warm hearted humanitarians), it just looks quite cheap.

Hmmm...indigenous tribes rebelling against foreign invaders...Wondering when the 'Braveheart' game is coming out :censored:

Next will be the Celtic and Druidic tribes against Italian invaders...Boadicea...or Boudica whatever takes your fancy. They've changed how they spell her name at least 3 times since I was at school...

I suppose we could go further back into British history...the Picts V Gaels and Celts, the Celts V Vikings and Angles/Saxons...the Angles/Saxons/Vikings V the Normans...further back is covered by Far Cry Primal with the nice clean invading Homo Sapiens V degenerate, dying and retreating indigenous Neanderthals. Best of the Far Cry series by far if you haven't played it...2 words, Bee bombs ;)

Last edited:
Talking about Far Cry Primal...I just had to go off and start it all over again. Loving my new best mate, the sabretooth tiger :)
Man, I'm going to need ot replay that one as well, once I get un-hooked from Odyssey. I loved Primal. I never really "felt" the main line of Far Cry games, but Primal was fun. And the pet mechanic there is awesome. I was so disappointed that in Odyssey you only can tame animals temporarily.

I went back in to modded Arma 3 with newest version of ACE mod - cant believe that some things that are in it are still not integral part of vanilla game. Like choosing the grande trajectory or more realistic medical system.
At one hand its amazing what community are doing to make this game even better, but on the other you can tell that Bohemia can be literally sloppy with their content because "mods will fix it".
The modded carrier is still ten times better than what normal Arma can offer, and its just a tip of the iceberg. Also i nthe last QandA BI said that there is no work on anything like Arma 4. I strongly believe that they will rather make their own "survival/life Altis" game as sadly for hardcore mil sim guys those are most popular game modes for A3.
But I`m looking forward to the new Contact DLC that will have some sort of biochemical warfare that its new to the series.

I've actually been sucked back into ED... I am enjoying myself digging into a lot of the things that have changed over the past couple years that i never really dug into. The past week I haven't even thought about anything else. I hope this keeps up because its really been enjoyable tackling the things I always shyed away from.

Rimworld looks interesting, but killer bunnies and llamas?

I like the megasloth. You can even train it to haul, and it gives a lot of wool.

Resting my Rim World colony for the moment though, since I acquired Battletech in SteamSummerSale. Really love this game, but no wonder, I liked the Shadowrun games from HareBrainedSchemes a lot too. With Battletech they have done everything right for me, so far. Feels very much authentic, the Battletech universe comes to life and I feel very much immersed. :D

Last edited:
Just because I jumped the Battletech / Mechwarrior hypetrain:

Has anyone here been playing MechWarrior: Living Legends? Seems to be a pretty awesome indy-title and maybe way better them MechWarrior online and also free, like really free, pure fan-product.

Installed it and it works, graphics are lookin pretty old, idk maybe there are player on at primetime.

Edit: I had a good time with this game and its community yesterday. It's not easy to learn. What's good imho, there is no artificial skill-tree or such, it all comes down to personal tactics and skills. I liked it.

Last edited:
Played through Rebel Galaxy since it was given away for free on Epic's store. Good fun, but once you run out of campaign there's nothing left worth doing. But broadside-based combat is really satisfying. :)

Played through Rebel Galaxy since it was given away for free on Epic's store. Good fun, but once you run out of campaign there's nothing left worth doing. But broadside-based combat is really satisfying. :)
I spent one whole summer playing the RG. Such a gem of a game. Not really an open world or something one would spend the time on after finishing the story, but the story itself is fun and grinding through the ships feels great and the whole broadsiding system is genius!
I love the Mercenary guild ships and then of course the dreadnoughts. They feel sublime. :)

Just because I jumped the Battletech / Mechwarrior hypetrain:

Has anyone here been playing MechWarrior: Living Legends? Seems to be a pretty awesome indy-title and maybe way better them MechWarrior online and also free, like really free, pure fan-product.

Installed it and it works, graphics are lookin pretty old, idk maybe there are player on at primetime.

Edit: I had a good time with this game and its community yesterday. It's not easy to learn. What's good imho, there is no artificial skill-tree or such, it all comes down to personal tactics and skills. I liked it.

I'm into the battletech and mech warrior myself.
400 some weeks into my latest modded Battletech campaign, only half way thru.
Mech Warrior 4, Mercs, and Black Knight reinstalled for another play thru.
Did the MW online thing a hundred years ago.
I stay away from mmo's anymore.

I'm into the battletech and mech warrior myself.
400 some weeks into my latest modded Battletech campaign, only half way thru.
Mech Warrior 4, Mercs, and Black Knight reinstalled for another play thru.
Did the MW online thing a hundred years ago.
I stay away from mmo's anymore.

I have had somewhat forgotten about battletech. I used to play a littel bit of the tabletop ages ago, played Mechwarrior 2 and "The Crescend Hawks revenge" back in the 90s and read some of the books back then.

The good thing is, Mechwarrior Living Legend is not your classical MMO, it's more a fan-made multiplayer mech-combat arena with mechs, battle-armor, tanks and airplanes. There is absolutly no leveling up except your own player skill. Also it's absolutly free, no microtransactions, no real money involved. It's pure fan made fun. I enjoy quite a bit at the moment. Playerbase is fairly small at the moment but evening hours are usually populated enough for one server going through the whole night.

And yes, it's a good year for battletech enthusaits :D

Also I have forgotten how well the Battletech lore blends in with Elite Dangerous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom